“Excellent quality food and NOT over priced”
Review of Gente di Mare - CLOSED

Gente di Mare
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Situated in front of the magnificent port of Marsaxlokk, the most prominent old village in Malta, Gente di Mare Restaurant will welcome you and your loved ones in a quite relaxed environment. You may also choose to dine in our seafront open air area and enjoy the beautiful view of Marsaxlokk port.Gente di Mare Restaurant specializes in local fresh fish, caught from local fisherman. We select the fish and its source carefully to provide genuine local produce for exquisite fish dining experience. For those who prefer something different, here, you will also find a selection of meat, game and poultry dishes, like hand cut beef fillets and Argentian Black Angus, just to mention a few. You will also find a wide assortment of dishes our chefs are renowned for, like our home-made 'aljotta', vegetable soup of the day and our scrumptious pasta dishes. Our chefs prepare all our delicacies with love and passion, always creating innovative dishes and specialties' to please our loyal clientele. The menu is seasonal; therefore you will always find new dishes when you return.
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I have been sitting here reading through some of the reviews of this restaurant and they have made me laugh on this wet night here in Marsaxlokk.

Over priced bistro! No chips! Really folks?

We have just had a lovely meal in this very smart restaurant, our first time visiting and wouldn't hesitate to return.

The restaurant is very nicely decorated with proper linen napkins, proper table clothes and good quality cutlery something not found in a bistro, the menu is obviously not bistro standard and is far superior to that which would be found in a bistro.

Over priced! I think not, yes fresh fish is priced at €5 per 100g however when you put that in to perspective you get a decent sized and very well cooked fresh fish for around €15 and this includes your sides, so unless you are ordering something whale sized you don't pay more than any other comparable restaurant.

Tonight we were served very attentively by our waiter and our meals were cooked to perfection, I had fresh Red Snapper which at €17.50 wasn't in my opinion over priced, mind you I don't mind paying for quality in a restaurant with a nice ambiance.

My wife's Fettuccine Gamberi was delicious and the prawns were exceptionally tasty.

The whole meal including wine, bottled water and dessert came to €46 which I felt given the quality and portions represented very good value.

As I mentioned our waiter was very attentive and came around to make sure everything was ok with our meal (which it was) and this would be the time to speak up if you have a complaint instead of moaning on a forum after the event when there is no opportunity for it to be put right, if my meal was missing chips or not satisfactory I would simply call the waiter over, not difficult.

As I mentioned at the start of my review I wouldn't hesitate in returning here, however with the time restraints of a holiday and soooo many excellent restaurants in Marsaxlokk to try this might not happen on this trip.

Stephanie T, Manager at Gente di Mare, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear Sir,

A review like this answers all the few negative comments that we have received in the past and a review like this, makes us realize that our hard work is being truly appreciated by our genuine customers. Thank you for such a wonderful review and it would be our pleasure to serve you again in your next visit to our sunny Island.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

This was not my first time dining at Gente di Mare and this time i went there with some friends for lunch. once again, I was not disappointed. Great service and amazing food. The misto fritto we had as a starter was more than enough for our party of 4 and our main dishes were also very good. We will definitely be back soon.

Stephanie T, Manager at Gente di Mare, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

We really appreciate such a comment and we are glad that you are satisfied with our food and service. We hope to serve you again in the near future as it is our satisfaction to have our customers satisfied with the atmosphere of our restaurant, food and service.

Regards,

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Gente di Mare is just a bistro sort of a place but they are charging for fish as a premium restaurant. Starters and pasta are OK but for average fish ( red snapper) they are asking 50euro/kg which is 5 times the market price. In my opinion this is a bit too much for this kind of venue. If you go there always ask upfront for the prices of catch of the day.

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your review regarding our restaurant and it was our pleasure to serve you. We have noted your comments with interest and can tell you that we are highly concerned about your disappointment.

We highly respect your opinion about the prices of the fresh fish per kilogram and regarding your rating of our restaurant. Our Restaurant is a Mediterranean cuisine which specialize in fresh fish and shellfish. You can definetely find other restaurants/bistro in Malta where the prices of fish are much less, and you pay for fish which is not real fresh or fish from the fish farm. We charge 50 Euros per one kilogram of fresh fish that is 5 Euros per 100 grams of fresh fish. The portion size of fresh fish for one person is approximately 500 grams which means you only pay 25 Euros per person for fresh fish which is caught by our fisherman.

Thank you for advising our customers to ask for the price of the fresh fish, but we make it clear with our clients regarding the price of the fresh fish chosen and the price of the fresh fish is also written clearly on our Menu.

Our main concern is to improve our service and to provide the best quality of food with reasonable prices for the product you are ordering. We would definetely welcome you again at our restaurant and it would be our pleasure to serve you.

Regards

Reviewed March 21, 2014

We visited in the middle of Jan but weather still warm enough for us to sit outside. Excellent service and good value - had the basic fish and chips which was fab. On side of harbour so good views and parrot kept us occupied with its antics!

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for review regarding our restaurant and our baby parrot, hope it kept you entertained :) Our main concern is to provide the best food, and even our basic fish and chips must be one of the best as it is freshly made and homemade by our Chef.

Regards,

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Im sorry but this restaurant its horribile I have 2 small children so I thought they have something like a kids menu but f I r that time we arranged with the waiter that they like chicken nuggets at that time was ok but I was shocked when I ordered the octopus I thinks there was 10 pcs bloody hell it was the worst octopus I ate and it comes without chips and salad for the price of 20 euros when I asked the waiter about the chips and salad he told me im sorry I didn't have time to come check the table seriouslyyyyyyyyyy I was shocked the worst sunday ever

Stephanie T, Manager at Gente di Mare, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Ms Portelli,

Like many restaurants of the same class as ours we don't offer a kids menu as a book, but we serve kids food such as chicken nuggets, fish and chips, burgers etc and we also offer the choice to make pasta as the kids prefer, for example with sauce or plain or bolognese etc. Regarding the octopus, we could have changed the plate to something else without even charging you for the first plate but, you didn't mention that you didn't like the octopus when you were asked. On the other hand I am very sorry and apologize, that the waiter didn't re-check your table after your food had come out. It's our main issue to have our customers enjoying their food while being served to a high quality service. Our main courses are always served with vegetables/salad and chips/baked potatoes. If you didn't order the chips and salad from the beginning and if you brought to the attention to a waiter/waitress, we could have served you the chips and salad right after the main course was served, because it only takes one minute to prepare some chips and a bowl of salad.

Our main concern is to improve our service and to provide the best quality of food. We would definietly welcome you again at our restaurant and it would be our pleasure to serve you.

Thanks