“Excellent food and service!”

Tartarun Fish Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 51 Restaurants in Marsaxlokk
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Malta
“Excellent food and service!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Dismal weather required a great restaurant for a delicious lunch and Tartarun provided just that! Had a plate of mixed shellfish as starters, dott (stone fish) and exquisitely cooked to perfection stuffed calamari. The dott was especially prepared for my husband as the one on the menu had ingredients which he was allergic to. The salad was very fresh. For desert we had a delicious Cassatella, not too sweet like some restaurants serve but just perfect! The waiter serving us deserves commendations for being discreet when we were conversing and also for the lovely service provided. I only mentioned casually that we were celebrating my husband's birthday and his desert came served with a lit candle. Spending money in a restaurant where the service and the food excel is worthwhile.

• Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ein Hod, Israel
“A Maltese gem”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Sunday is a market day in the small Fisherman's village of Marsaxlokk (pronounced MARSASHLOK) about 45 minutes away from the capital Valletta. After a couple of hours of wandering around the stalls gawking at the amazing selection of the freshest fish and seafood, one tends to develop an appetite. The village offers an abundance of fish restaurants with a high risk of falling into a tourist's trap. Lucky for us we came armed with a recommendation and introduction to Tartarun, otherwise we would probably not get a table at this establishment greatly favored by the well-to-do locals for their Sunday lunch.
After dinner at Chapter One the night before (see another review) we didn't think we could go any higher. Stephen and his brother proved us wrong. The fish were amazingly fresh (or maybe not so amazing seeing that the fish travel 20 meters from the net to the kitchen). The menu makes excellent use of the available raw materials but takes them a level higher by adding creativity and sparkle. Aromas and flavors blend to a symphony of pure pleasure whilst the attentive staff is not imposing and Maltese families and couples around you eat and drink and go about there business. The wine menu is impressive, with many international wines available alongside the local ones. Highly above what you'd find in an average fish restaurant but then again, Tartarun is anything but average. Excellent value for money and a great culinaty experience.

1 Thank Shmaya W
London, United Kingdom
“Above average Maltese restaurant”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Lunched there. Black tortellacci were first class although, if you have them as a main the serving size is inadequate. Service was pleasant, but - as in many places in Malta, very slow (30 minutes to be served the antipasto of fried anchovies and cuttlefish) especially for a weekday and at lunchtime. For an Italian restaurant, it's a shame the menu includes several spelling mistakes in Italian which denotes a lack of attention to detail. Ambiance is nice with view over the (quaint and colourful) Marsaxlokk quay (chose a window table as the rest is dark).

St. Paul's Bay, Malta
“Loved it!”
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Found this jewel of a restaurant purely by chance in the heart of marsaxlokk whilst out on a saturday afternoon. What we expected to be a casual lunch turned out to be a fine dining experience with somewhat individualised waiter service. Food was presented beautifully and in adequate portions, and the wine list is decently priced and of good variety. Definitely one to try for the fish lovers!

Stockholm, Sweden
“I seriously doubt you can eat better seafood than here in Malta”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

On the recommendation of my brother, we recently visited Tartarun while on holiday in Malta. I couldn't stop thanking him afterwards. The restaurant decor is fine, nothing out of this world. As you go in, you can see the fresh fish displayed - as I walked past I immediately knew what I was going to have for mains - squid. Front of house is fine, never intrusive, menus simple, short, but with very interesting options.
For starters my better half had octopus salad, which was delicious, wonderful dressing. I had black tortellacci filled with langoustine and crab I think, with a saffron sauce. I don't think I have had stuffed pasta this good anywhere else. The sauce was also delicious, with a nice saffron taste, but not overpowering as it can sometimes be.
For mains, my wife had a seafood platter, which was amazingly fresh, perfectly cooked, with a delicious juice which was perfect for dunking maltese bread in. I of course had grilled squid, which was marvellously cooked, tender, with a great char-grilled taste.
Desserts are also excellent - I had a lovely take on cassata, my wife had a chocolate marquise which was also great.
Overall I cannot be happier - it was almost a perfect evening (there was a table of loud Maltese men in a corner which reminded us we were on earth, not seafood heaven). Prices are reasonable for the quality of the raw ingredients and the skills of the chef. This is one restaurant we will definitely visit again on our next trip to Malta.