“One of the best fish restaurants on the island”
Review of La Capanna

La Capanna
Ranked #12 of 52 Restaurants in Marsaxlokk
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The restaurant is across from the street market / waterfront in this fishing village. The food is local but different from the usual tourist fare.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

From the excellent soup starter, to shared fish meze dishes to the excellent Dott fish, all was excellent and served in an informal friendly setting.

Great Value for the quantity and quality of food eaten.

A must for all fish lovers.

2  Thank Tauss82

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have gone twice to this restaurant in less then two weeks. The food is great, although a bit expensive. The first time was on a Thursday were I enjoyed a meal with my friends. We had to wait for almost three quarter of an hour. The second time I was when my son in law and it was on a Saturday. Again the food was great but we had to endure one and a half hours waiting to be served. When I raised the issue with the proprietor he said that the kitchen is a bit on the small side; so it does slow down a bit. On the other hand he insisted that he cooks on demand; and no food is precooked. This I can vouch for as the kitchen is the open type.

1  Thank Joseph Mary S
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We came several time and always enjoy the food, the friendly welcome and the nice location on the harbour.
The Sea urchin pasta were our favourite as well as the great dessert with ricotta and green marzipan...sluurp...
I was about to forget the great bruschetta they offer...they were really perfect.

1  Thank Dominique B
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We randomly chose to go to La Capanna without knowing anything about this place - after reading through the reviews on tripadvisors I rechecked to make sure it was the same restaurant! We were a party of six, and despite not having a reservation, we were seated quickly and the menus delivered efficiently.

There the efficiency stopped. The starters took over half an hour to turn up, the mains over an hour! Trying to get the waiters' attention was met with a brusque 'Wait'. The food was also a disappointment aside from the octupus stew, which we agreed was good, but the swordfish was terribly dry, and the rest of the dishes over-salted. The prices were rather higher than average; and yet we were expected to share a small bowl of potatoes and grilled veg between six - very thrifty from the management's side I'm sure, but definitely unimpressive!

The bill was the fastest thing brought to table - our exit almost faster. Will definitely NOT go back!

2  Thank biscuitcrumb
Reviewed August 1, 2013

One of my best restaurant in Marsaxlokk,best seafood specially rizzi pasta really great,and even the fish really great too, this restaurant is my favourite, we go to la capanna with family and friends