“Good pasta dishes”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 7, 2019

Had lunch at the Oleander. We were four and each of us had a different pasta. Nicely served. I had gorgonzola fusilli with spec and nuts which was delicious. Service at the Oleander, as always, was excellent.

Reviewed January 30, 2019 via mobile

We were a party of six and 4 of us were locals.
Nice restaurant, ambiance and the service was good, but the food....no too good.

I ordered a whole sea bream, but it was not scaled and it was difficult to fillet.

My wife had mushroom tortellini, but it was very underdone. The quality of the tortellini was good however, but raw tortellini is awful.

One of us had risotto and he said it was very good.
Another had linguine with seafood and that looked good
The last person had another linguine dish and that also looked good.

I am willing to give this place another try and give the cook an opportunity to redeem himself :>)

Date of visit: January 2019
Briangozo89, Owner at Oleander, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2019

Thank you for your comment.

It's unusual to give a whole fish on the table to our clients, as we ALWAYS fillet the fish in front of the client asking beforehand if he wants us to. Obviously it's with scales on that's how we cook it and it's very easy to fillet for us. Regarding the fish, we don't have Seabream which in Maltese is Awrat, that's a farmed fish we always have the wild locally caught fish.

Regarding the same tortellini we like to cook our pasta 'al'dente' which not everyone prefers like that so a lot of people let us know that they prefer their pasta a bit more cooked that others.

Anyways I can't wait to see you back for another opportunity but next time, talk to us in person so I can fillet your fish, do another tortellini for you, and serve you better.

Reviewed January 16, 2019 via mobile

Visited Oleander yesterday after a suggestion by another Gozitan.
We ordered a fish soup and a trio smoked fish as a starter. Both were delicious. Main i had a pasta with seafood ..very tasty and a chicken grilled with a side sauce which was also good. Shared a dessert and was offered a liquer upon asked for the bill. Nice ambience and good service by Ronnie . Will be back.

Reviewed December 2, 2018

I ve been coming to this fabulous restaurant for the majority of this year and it never fails to disappoint. The staff, all of them, are attentive and the food beautfully presented . Highly recommended never to let you down

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed November 3, 2018 via mobile

Absolutely disgusting. Arrived put outside and in cold weather, fine I did not make a booking, tables available inside the entire time though. Another table moved inside leaving me outside and not a word said to me. Starter was delicious but it was burrata, I.e no cooking involved. Main was complete slop, left over lamb fat with gravy and pasta which looked like they were getting rid of main they could not sell and they told me it was their special! It was replaced with another poor pasta dish. They tidy up my table while I am eating! They stack and move tables and chairs around me while I was eating and it was not late. All amounted to such a bad experience I feel I have to say something even as an English person - we don’t complain! I never write complaints like this! Young manager comes out and is rude, barely listens, arrogant to me and does not have a shred of humility. Then charged for the full meal. I would strongly suggest people avoid that restaurant and use the others in the square.

Date of visit: November 2018
2  Thank sam373637
Briangozo89, Owner at Oleander, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2018

Lying in a review is not a problem.. but lying about me in person is unacceptable.

So you show up at my restaurant on a very busy Saturday Night with double bookings and you pretend that you are going to sit inside.. people book normally here, I don't know what you usually do but everyone understands that when sitting outside common sens tells you that it's actually cold.
You didn't even ask us that you want to go inside the other table gently asked us if someone leaves if they could go in.. and infact they did.. so how can you pretend that we know what you want?

About the food. Not liking something is a matter of taste. I understand everyone is different and if someone doesn't like something we take it without any further arguments. We take it off the bill so you had it for free without any problems. But you kept going and going and going..
Remember you ate half of it.. then you complained with 3 different waiters and then asked me to come out, as I did and for the whole 5 minutes you where the arrogant and rudest person I ever met in 12 years catering. Complaining about a plate which every person liked, and being ignorant not letting me explain to you what a proper local baby lamb is.
Of course it's fatty that's what everyone likes, that's where the flavor is.. but again you didn't let me explain..

I don't have to write to you anymore.. people know who I am and how I work that's how I kept up my reputation..