“Best Yet!”

Bubbles Dive Centre
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Marsalforn
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Gozo's most caring dive centre. We care...about showing you the best diving, about the marine environment, about quality and safety, about customer service and about having fun.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Best Yet!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just returned home from two weeks' amazing diving in Gozo so thought I'd update my review for Bubbles. My husband and I wouldn't dive with anyone else. The instructors and staff are friendly, well-trained and a pleasure to dive with. We love the small group sizes. Being picked up and dropped off meant that we didn't bother with hiring a car. We just took a bus or walked when we weren't diving.

As mentioned elsewhere, it is the staff at Bubbles that makes it exceptional. We enjoyed meeting new faces on the staff team and feel that we are among friends in their company. The customer night out at Francesco's was fun - the 'house' red wine is by no means the best that Gozo has to offer, but there is something to be said for sharing the giant bottle among staff and customers to create a bonding experience!

This time, I completed my Advanced Open Water. For the AOW, you have to do a deep dive and a navigation dive for that plus three others. I chose to do Peak Performance Buoyancy which I would highly recommend. This has enhanced my enjoyment of diving and I have enjoyed the 'tricks' that you can do when you are weightless in the water - somersaults, handstands etc. I use much less air now that I know how to be neutrally buoyant. I'm not working hard to stay level!

I have also long been curious about the different sorts of fish and opted for a Fish ID dive. I was delighted when a fish lingered close to me, seemingly wishing to be sketched on the slate! It turned out to be a female gold-blotched grouper. My other Advanced dive was a wreck dive. It was useful to learn about the risks of wreck diving and how to manage these. That was all the Advanced dives, but I did a lot more than that.

I have complete faith in Dave and his team... so when we began a dive during a lightning storm, I knew we wouldn't be doing it unless it was safe. He knew our abilities and the conditions. I was so glad that I did because I will never forget seeing the lightning underwater, glinting on the metallic barracuda near Double Arch. How many people can say they've seen that?

After you have seen what Gozo has to offer (and there is a great deal), I would recommend going out to the Santa Marija caves at Comino - there is so much to see there - though hang on tight in the speedboat!

It is the limestone topography that makes the sea around Gozo so interesting with caves and 'swim throughs' to enjoy, but the marine life is impressive, too. And now that I can identify fish, it helps me share what it is I've seen! This trip I have seen three seahorses, a juvenile stingray, rainbow wrasse, Turkish wrasse, parrotfish, cardinalfish, damselfish, scorpionfish, Pompano jack, amberjack, seabass, (...pause for breath...) white bream, saddle bream, lizardfish, goatfish, flounders, nudibranches, an octopus, prawns, a spider crab, moray eels and a conger eel.

Bubbles' commitment to the environment helps it to stay protected for everyone to enjoy, something I support and admire. I really had a great time and I'm grateful to Bubbles for such a brilliant experience.

Thanks to Chris for the PPB, Matt for tolerating me accidentally throwing a recovered can of Cisk at him (and for the pretty splashes of water in Cathedral Cave), Dave for the lightning dive and Graham for Comino Caves. And with much love to Donna, Nana, Ali and the gang.

1 Thank smilingbluefish
Donna_at_Bubbles, Owner at Bubbles Dive Centre, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hello Charlie. It is always a pleasure to see you both and well done on completing your Advanced Open Water course. We look forward to seeing you back again at Bubbles next year :-)

Dunstable, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brilliant dive centre”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have just completed four dives with the guys at bubbles , and must say these come thoroughly recommended . I completed my training in England earlier in the year ready for my return to Gozo, and was recommended to use Bubbles Dive Centre . On arriving in Gozo I immediately headed for Bubbles where I was welcomed by Donna and David ,from our first meeting there was a warm and friendly welcome which continued throughout my dives . All of my dives were done with Graham (groover ) Thurlbeck . Who drove us to all our dive sites in his very upmarket vehicle ,which made the trips even more enjoyable, Thanks Donna, Dave , Graham and all your team for an excellent experience and will recommend you to all are to visit Gozo diving

1 Thank Howard0114
Hello Howard. Thanks so much for your feedback - we really appreciate it. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you back again in the future.
UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Absolutely 1st Class!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Bubbles was recommended to us for our son (who's 13) as we don't dive.
All the staff at Bubbles could not have been more welcoming or helpful.
We had no worries about leaving him there for the day.

He did a specialist course while there and dived 2 or 3 times a day.
Our son really enjoyed the dives and in particular the caves.
He currently is a junior rescue diver and it was clear that Bubbles were able to cater for all ages and all levels of experience.

The flexibility and passion shown by all staff at Bubbles should be noted and commended.

I can not recommend Bubbles Dive Centre enough...A huge thank you for looking after my boy

Visited August 2013
Thank you very much for writing a great review. We all really enjoyed having your son at the dive centre with us and he was a great help too. We hope to see him back again at Bubbles soon.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“An excellent diving centre!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Eight of our group did our Scuba Diver course and two had a try dive and we had such an amazing time that we did an extra dive later in our holiday.

I've dealt with quite a few companies over the past two years of organising holidays for friends and Donna was hands down the most helpful and the quickest at replying of any of them. She even sorted out a taxi to take us to the dive centre each morning for our lessons. We actually ended up using the taxi for the rest of the week to take us all over the island so I'm not sure what we would have done without that!

On Wednesday they took us to a meal up in the hills of Gozo which was very reasonably price and came with so much wine! We also went cliff jumping with some of their instructors which was a fun addition to our holiday.

I'd definitely recommend anyone diving in Gozo to use Bubbles :)

Visited August 2013
Donna_at_Bubbles, Owner at Bubbles Dive Centre, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Hello Charlotte. Thanks for the fantastic review. We really enjoyed teaching you all to dive (or in Dave's case to refresh his diving) and I'm pleased that we played such a part in your group's holiday. We hope to see you all again either here or in the snow.
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Awesome holiday”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We are family of 5 with one non-diver black sheep member of family, so it was me, my sister and my parents who left for Gozo in July 2013. It was our first time to Gozo, so we chose the diving center based on reviews here on tripadvisor. All of the centers have quite good reviews, so the choice was tough, but it turned out that we chose wisely. Donna, who arranged a nice place for us to stay always responded swiftly and was really helpful.

When we first came in the shop we were given quick tour by David, the owner. All of the staff were friendly and we were free to plan our dives as it suited us. First few dives we did separately as I was doing my AOWD course and the rest of the family was just exploring the beautiful sites with Graham and Nana. The course dives were all great fun, the PPB with Chris was something I've never done underwater before and David was caring instructor, showing much enthusiasm for diving.

But the day didn't end when the shop was closed (maybe even the other way around:), the customers-staff night out, trip to La Grotta in Graham's Landie and much more is unforgettable! Plus the attention Bubbles pay to the environment, that's something. I didn't get to do the "rubbish dive" (dive against debris - free dive to help clean the sea) this year, so I have to come back to do at least that one. See you all next year!

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Jan K
Hello Jan. Thank you for the great review - we really appreciate it. We really enjoyed having you and your family come and join us for diving and aprés diving fun as well! We are also delighted that you and Petra liked it so much you are coming back later in the year and next year to be with us for the summer :-) See you in a couple of months.