“exceptional service great food”
Review of Salvina's

Salvina's
Ranked #4 of 8 Restaurants in Gharb
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Thank you very much for a lovely meals for all 4 of us, exceptional service and wood for fireplace. If we will ever be at Gozo again we will definitely dine here. Thank you again

1  Thank PaweliAnia

Reviewed April 21, 2014

1. The food was embarrassingly bad. I ordered a smoked fish antipasto for 10EUR (which is more expensive than the same starter at Barracuda over in St. Julian’s) and on the plate came three slices of packaged smoked salmon, swordfish, and tuna. Not only was the swordfish absolutely rank, but the tuna also had streaks of grease in it—indicating it had stayed out for too long and was rotting. On the side of the plate was also a pathetic mound of unflavored canned kidney beans and corn soaking in the canning water that had collected on the plate.
Not to mention, all three members of my dining party got THE WORST FOOD POISONING after our meal at Salvina’s and THREW UP FOR SIX HOURS STRAIGHT from the top and bottom.
If anything, I hope this place gets slapped with a health and sanitation violation.

2. This was the worst service I have ever received from any restaurant in the world. The owner/waiter/cook was friendly at first, until my dining party and I requested new wine glasses, as the ones he gave us had small insects in them. He became very defensive and increasingly aggressive throughout our meal. He not only tried to kick us out of the restaurant twice for staying past closing time (which was 3pm and we had walked in at 2:30pm), but when we walked out with polite ‘thank yous’, he said to us (word for word), “Thank you, and next time do not put your feet on the table. Now, out! OUT!” I have never been accused of dirtying a restaurant’s table (which definitely did not happen, and plus his tables outside were plastic...), and I definitely have never been yelled at by any waitstaff or service industry professional. This man was so astonishingly rude after we had paid an exorbitant 55EUR PLUS TIP for two starters, a main, and bad house wine. It totally ruined my day and sadly my memories of Gharb.
For the sake of Gharb’s otherwise lovely image and kind townspeople, the restaurant industry in general, and basic human decency and sympathy, DO NOT DINE AT SALVINA’S.

3  Thank Susan W
jrapa, Owner at Salvina's, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Dear Sir,

Please refer to a review posted by Susan W from London UK on 21st April, 2014, on Salvina’s Restaurant.
Following are my comments on the aforementioned post, which I kindly ask you to upload as an answer to this unjust complaint.

This group of diners consisting of three persons, visited our restaurant on Wednesday 16th April, 2014.
They came in at 14.50hrs and were seated in our indoor garden section and subsequently ordered the following:

2 fish antipasto as main course
1 Stewed local rabbit

1 ice-cream
1 bottle Italian mineral water
1 litre house white wine

On collecting the main course plates, I noticed that all food was eaten and the only left overs, were the rabbit bones. As customary, I asked the clients if they enjoyed the food.
The word which the gentleman answered back with, was “EXCELLENT”.

Afterwards on asking they ordered an ice-cream.
During dessert, the gentleman asked for another wine glass, since he stated that the glass on the table had a bug in it. I immediately brought another obviously clean wine glass.

At 16.20hrs, I approached the table again and asked them to settle the bill, upon which the gentleman produced his credit card and I proceeded to effect the payment transaction
which amounted to €55.00 for the food and beverages plus €5.00c tips. The Tips were added on the credit card slip by the gentleman himself. The gentleman also asked if he can
finish the wine left in the carafe. I answered that its ok.

At 16.40hrs, I approached the table once again, since I noticed that the gentleman was resting his two feet on the top of table (cowboy style) facing the two accompanying ladies.
I addressed him and told him, to put his feet down as it is rude to be sitting like that in a public place, and without saying anything, he actually did put them down.

Around five minutes later these diners stood up and walked out of the indoor garden section.
The gentleman told me “Thank You” and I answered back with “Thank you and that’s very rude in putting your feet on the table in public places”.

Finally I believe that the three persons got sick afterwards, since the gentleman put his feet on the table.

My last comment on this complaint is a genuine advice to this gentleman not to dare and put his feet on any table in any London restaurant.

Thanks

Joe Rapa
Chef Patron

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I was spending a week in Valetta Malta and hired a car with a friend to explore. We got the ferry to Gozo and drove about with no real destination. We fell across this beautiful little village of Gharb and noticed a sign advertising lunch. We stopped off and entered. Due to the time of the year, the restaurant was very quiet. We met the very friendly owner, Joseph who made us feel very welcome. The food was very tasty and the bill was very reasonable. More importantly, Joseph took the time to chat with us and offered us some advice on historic sites nearby and explained the story of St Paul being shipwrecked in Malta many years ago, and bringing Christianity to the locals. This extra personal touch was very nice. I imagine this place is a lot busier in the tourist season. They also offer accommodation. When I am back in Malta, I will be back. I highly recommend a visit, if for the welcome alone.

jrapa, Owner at Salvina's, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Reviewed February 16, 2014

As an owner of a Restaurant in Gozo we booked a table for our staff party and have to say it was amazing. Probably the best fish soup i have ever had and great main courses as well , friendly staff and owner. We where all really pleased

1  Thank GiorginoGauci
Reviewed January 5, 2014

service was good and friendly-food was average and a little overpriced-felt a bit disappointed-not the worst, but there is certainly better in Gozo-could be that it was very quiet (1 other couple and us on a Saturday night) but I suppose that should not be an excuse