“Very good coffee”

Dining options: Breakfast
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good coffee”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Read other reviews and could not work out why!

I am going to Melissa every weekend for my morning coffee between all the cafe's in pier street.

The coffee is good with wide variety of cakes and very polite and friendly staff. It is my favourite place in Altona!

• Visited July 2013

• Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
“Here for brunch with a group on a Sunday”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Before coming to Melissa's a couple of weeks ago I read all the reviews and was not looking forward to the visit at all as the reviews put it down so much.
Well, they were right about the poor service - we arrived first in our group and ordered iced coffee which took well over 30 minutes to arrive yet others ordered and theirs came before ours.
We were first to order brunch/lunch and waited such a long time finding that the people who ordered last received their meals first. So, obviously, the dockets just go on top and the ones at the bottom are lucky to receive their meal after waiting about 40 minutes. Just not good enough!!!!
The food was OK, nothing to rave about, iced coffee was very large and very nice too.
Like I said, the service was really terrible so I doubt I would go back there.

• Visited June 2013
“The devil you know...”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The sun was shining, we’d just taken our pooch for a walk at the Altona Dog Beach and we thought we’d try a different spot for coffee.

Our ‘local’ wasn’t serving great coffee, the service was shoddy and well, we thought we could do better.

So we chose Melissa Cakes.

Turns out it was a lot like our usual haunt, except more expensive!

On the plus side the tea was served well, leaves in a pot. In a coffee cup (I’d be devoted to a café that served tea in tea cups)

But the food was overpriced and under loved. Really Melbourneites, when are we going to stop paying $7 for a chewy croissant with fake cheese and massed produced ham? The croissant in my nieces KidKraft toy kitchen would have been more edible (and I’d have been able to use monopoly money!)

I’m on a mission to find good coffee, tea served in tea cup, and tasty bites in Altona. Failing that it’s back to Williamstown after our weekly jaunt to the pooch beach!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank CateHodder
Melbourne, Australia
“My fav Place in Altona.”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I really love Melissa's Cafe, every staff member i have been approached by have been warm, and always eger to do their best. The food is well created, and me being a slightly fussy coffee person. Their coffees are the BEST!

I have been going to Mellisa's for quite some time, and i can honestly say- it beats any other cafe in Pier Street.

I hope their staff all stay there for some time, and that this experience will always be the same. I'm sure it will be, it has been for the last 2 years. Well done Melissa's.

• Visited June 2012
Marrakech, Morocco
“Best Service Ever”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

We had an early tea here and wanted something light as we about to drive for three hours. It was a Greek style cafe. The young man, (from North Altona), serving us suggested a couple of seafood dishes, (which we had and were fabulous!!). When he bought out our coffees he doubled checked (felt) the lower outside of the glasses, saying he was checking they would still be hot enough for us when we finished our meal. (Yes, we were in a hurry so had asked for everything together). On leaving we got some cakes 'for the road'. We got his opinion on the best ones, which he obligingly gave. He then said he wanted to give us some special syrup to go with the cakes.
We felt VERY well cared for and looked after, nothing was too much trouble, when waiting to order he acknowledged us and said he would be with us next, he was efficient, polite and pleasant and really MADE the place.
Hope he stays!!
Not only was there great service, the food was fantastic. Awesome coffee!!

• Visited March 2011