All reviews loire valley young couple before dinner spent three nights here superb restaurant next morning fresh fruit rooms are small overnight stop hotel restaurant old building car park main building sweetbreads small village stopover point gastronomic delight
Selected filters
Reviewed October 13, 2018

Arrived early evening after driving from Cherbourg Ferry.
Warm greeting but only to be told that there were no tables available for dinner. We did not notice on our paperwork that pre booking was a requirement.
The young lady on reception was very helpful & booked a restaurant in the nearby town but more driving really wasn’t what we had planned ....
Our room was alongside the reception , quite small & cramped & we felt the bathroom needed some TLC.
Breakfast was very good & the restaurant in town turned out to be buzzy & enjoyable.- result.
Overall the stay was OK - however, I would suggest to offer dinner to your hotel guests an email would be courteous - if it’s ignored then so be it .

Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

Was surprised to read some of the recent reviews, as we found this place to be very good indeed as a stopover en route to Dordogne. Our room in the original house was fine, staff were more than helpful but the highlight was the restaurant. We have eaten in several inferior Michelin restaurants in U.K. which were twice the price. Very talented and original chef producing outstanding cuisine. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2018

The hotel is in a convenient location for a stop on the way to Normandy or Brittany. The rooms are functional and well equipped. Welcome was friendly and efficient. Dinner was excellent.Good choice and advice. Also for wine. Location quiet and relaxing.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2018 via mobile

Two words: don’t book. I don’t usually write long nor negative reviews but i feel like i have obligation to warrant fellow travellers for this place. The owner is violent and there is absolutely no reason to spent a night at that terrible place.

First of all, the hotel does not look like anything on the pictures provided. They’ve build an extra wing with rooms that look like Ibis hotel rooms, please note: this ‘ibis style room’ costs 125€.

However, that’s all managable.

According to booking.com, the hotel provides bicycles. Since i’m a frequent booker, i could lent the bicycles for free. Much to our dissapointment we found out that (check in is only available after 15pm so we went for a lunch first at la Madeleine, superb!) there were 4 bicycles broken. There were no other bicycles available, also not if we paid (which would not have been any problem). According to the lady at the desk, i should have known i had to make a reservation for the bikes (no where mentioned) and they could not stall 50bikes. She told me that it only works that way in france and i should have known. According to her, she would never mention that on booking. For god know’s why... It was a very unpleasant conversation.

Later on, it got way worse. I told the lady i was not happy and that this would reflect on my review. Moments later her ‘boyfriend’, Or at least a guy claiming to be the owner, came to ask me why i wasn’t satisfied. He then grabbed my phone out of my hands and wouldn’t give it back. He began to shout and curse, telling me that I could not leave a bad review.

My boyfriend came looking because he heard the shouting and asked the guy to hand me back my phone. he gave back my phone and then grabbed my boyfriends sunglasses. Screaming things like: ‘your f***** wife’, ‘you f***** up people’ etc. Thankfully, my boyfriend was wise enough to stay calm, although the owner started to accuse him of having drank alcohol. As if a glass of wine with lunch (note:it’s france) would result in a hotel owner takinga phone and sunglasses and verbally abuse guests...). Then the lady from the reception started complainig in the meantime that she had to work too hard...

Eventually we happily agreed to leave without charges on my credit card. After some trouble to get the confirmation we worked it out, thanks to the interference of booking.com.

We were sooo glad that we could leave and speng a wonderfull night at the Blinerie! Definitely recommend THAT place :)

Oh and fore sure i’ll get a ‘lovely’ reply to this review. However, bear in mind that there are many lovely non ibis style places around where you will encounter the lovely fench hospitality without taking the risk of having your personal belongings by the owner

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2018

Booked into this auberge mainly on the basis of positive reviews on TripAdvisor along with the fact it was ideally situated as a stopover on our way from Calais to Royan.

Located in the small commune Cande-Sur-Beuvron it was easy to find. The outside of the auberge (as viewed from the car park) isn't much to comment on but that's really the only thing I have to say that is any way a negative.

The three of us (two adults and a six year old) booked a family room, which was in an annex overlooking the courtyard. We were greeted and shown to our room promptly. The room (in the eaves) had a double bed and a single, and was clean and perfect for us. It was shaded enough from the direct sun with a skylight. The bathroom was clean and - well - fine! To me, it felt quite like the farmhouses I used to go to with my family as a child, but in a much better state! There was a little play house area for the boy to play in, and numerous places to sit out and have a drink. All rather lovely.

Dinner was excellent. No other way to put it. Service was prompt but not pushy at all. Staff were attentive and polite and made an effort with our son because - let's face it - it was a posh meal with not much to do for a 6 y/o! The menu changes depending on what's available, during the seasons but I can say the sweetbread (Ris de veau) and fish of the day were superb. The lobster dish looked very good as it went by, and I was more than a little green-eyed. Oh, and the amused bouches were great and varied (and a lot!) not to mention beautifully presented. The wine choice was handed to the somelier and it was good and decently priced. The cost of the meal was understandably more than the norm but I certainly didn't mind paying it.

As for the kids' menu, it was the adult one only smaller, and I loved that. If you have a fussy eater you might struggle. We have a typical 6 year, who is fussy at times but what with the staff being so nice and the food looking so good he tried pretty much everything - didn't finish it, but then neither could I; I was stuffed! We left dinner having had a good feed and were very happy.

Breakfast was delightful, with a good spread of the usual continental fare plus all the expected other bits and bobs. Perfect way to set up the last leg of the drive westward.

I have no other feedback for the team at this auberge and - for us - it was a faultless stay. Thanks for a great stay! I wouldn't say this is a family hotel from the traditional sense but it worked for us! Last thing (wow, you've done well with my boring review!): the super-negative review I just read below certainly wasn't our experience - that review talked about dogs. A lot. And their stay. It's horses for courses I guess. Or should that be dogses for um...an obstacle course.. :)

Room tip: Family room in annex. Might be hot in height of summer, but fine for us.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family