All reviews loire valley young couple before dinner spent three nights here family run superb restaurant next morning easy parking auberge de la fresh fruit rooms are small overnight stop hotel restaurant old building car park sweetbreads main building
Selected filters
Reviewed September 12, 2018

The hotel is in a convenient location for a stop on the way to Normandy or Brittany. The rooms are functional and well equipped. Welcome was friendly and efficient. Dinner was excellent.Good choice and advice. Also for wine. Location quiet and relaxing.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2018 via mobile

Two words: don’t book. I don’t usually write long nor negative reviews but i feel like i have obligation to warrant fellow travellers for this place. The owner is violent and there is absolutely no reason to spent a night at that terrible place.

First of all, the hotel does not look like anything on the pictures provided. They’ve build an extra wing with rooms that look like Ibis hotel rooms, please note: this ‘ibis style room’ costs 125€.

However, that’s all managable.

According to booking.com, the hotel provides bicycles. Since i’m a frequent booker, i could lent the bicycles for free. Much to our dissapointment we found out that (check in is only available after 15pm so we went for a lunch first at la Madeleine, superb!) there were 4 bicycles broken. There were no other bicycles available, also not if we paid (which would not have been any problem). According to the lady at the desk, i should have known i had to make a reservation for the bikes (no where mentioned) and they could not stall 50bikes. She told me that it only works that way in france and i should have known. According to her, she would never mention that on booking. For god know’s why... It was a very unpleasant conversation.

Later on, it got way worse. I told the lady i was not happy and that this would reflect on my review. Moments later her ‘boyfriend’, Or at least a guy claiming to be the owner, came to ask me why i wasn’t satisfied. He then grabbed my phone out of my hands and wouldn’t give it back. He began to shout and curse, telling me that I could not leave a bad review.

My boyfriend came looking because he heard the shouting and asked the guy to hand me back my phone. he gave back my phone and then grabbed my boyfriends sunglasses. Screaming things like: ‘your f***** wife’, ‘you f***** up people’ etc. Thankfully, my boyfriend was wise enough to stay calm, although the owner started to accuse him of having drank alcohol. As if a glass of wine with lunch (note:it’s france) would result in a hotel owner takinga phone and sunglasses and verbally abuse guests...). Then the lady from the reception started complainig in the meantime that she had to work too hard...

Eventually we happily agreed to leave without charges on my credit card. After some trouble to get the confirmation we worked it out, thanks to the interference of booking.com.

We were sooo glad that we could leave and speng a wonderfull night at the Blinerie! Definitely recommend THAT place :)

Oh and fore sure i’ll get a ‘lovely’ reply to this review. However, bear in mind that there are many lovely non ibis style places around where you will encounter the lovely fench hospitality without taking the risk of having your personal belongings by the owner

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2018

Booked into this auberge mainly on the basis of positive reviews on TripAdvisor along with the fact it was ideally situated as a stopover on our way from Calais to Royan.

Located in the small commune Cande-Sur-Beuvron it was easy to find. The outside of the auberge (as viewed from the car park) isn't much to comment on but that's really the only thing I have to say that is any way a negative.

The three of us (two adults and a six year old) booked a family room, which was in an annex overlooking the courtyard. We were greeted and shown to our room promptly. The room (in the eaves) had a double bed and a single, and was clean and perfect for us. It was shaded enough from the direct sun with a skylight. The bathroom was clean and - well - fine! To me, it felt quite like the farmhouses I used to go to with my family as a child, but in a much better state! There was a little play house area for the boy to play in, and numerous places to sit out and have a drink. All rather lovely.

Dinner was excellent. No other way to put it. Service was prompt but not pushy at all. Staff were attentive and polite and made an effort with our son because - let's face it - it was a posh meal with not much to do for a 6 y/o! The menu changes depending on what's available, during the seasons but I can say the sweetbread (Ris de veau) and fish of the day were superb. The lobster dish looked very good as it went by, and I was more than a little green-eyed. Oh, and the amused bouches were great and varied (and a lot!) not to mention beautifully presented. The wine choice was handed to the somelier and it was good and decently priced. The cost of the meal was understandably more than the norm but I certainly didn't mind paying it.

As for the kids' menu, it was the adult one only smaller, and I loved that. If you have a fussy eater you might struggle. We have a typical 6 year, who is fussy at times but what with the staff being so nice and the food looking so good he tried pretty much everything - didn't finish it, but then neither could I; I was stuffed! We left dinner having had a good feed and were very happy.

Breakfast was delightful, with a good spread of the usual continental fare plus all the expected other bits and bobs. Perfect way to set up the last leg of the drive westward.

I have no other feedback for the team at this auberge and - for us - it was a faultless stay. Thanks for a great stay! I wouldn't say this is a family hotel from the traditional sense but it worked for us! Last thing (wow, you've done well with my boring review!): the super-negative review I just read below certainly wasn't our experience - that review talked about dogs. A lot. And their stay. It's horses for courses I guess. Or should that be dogses for um...an obstacle course.. :)

Room tip: Family room in annex. Might be hot in height of summer, but fine for us.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

We were travelling from London to Spain and decided to stop in Loire Valley as a pit stop for an evening to rest and relax. We found this hotel and the pictures/reviews made it feel comfortable as were travelling with our dog aswell.
Arriving to destination we found out that there is no air con in the rooms and the weather mid August is 38.5c. Our dog is heavy haired and for us this quickly became a non option as she was becoming overheated. Not to mention the room looked nothing like the pictures on the website. Nothing. Heavy dining room chairs, a toilet in a closet. Smelling unpleasant and super stuffy.
We discussed this with the lady on the desk and she told us that the hotel is fully booked and that we should have booked a room in the older building which is cooler. Also she mentioned that it is not that hot outside and our dog should be fine just go to the shade.
We then stepped outside and made the decision to leave. Going back in, discussed this with the lady and mentioned our dog is becoming overheated and that we will leave. The lady didn’t have no remorse for the situation and then said “you cannot do that. You have booked the room.” At this point, as a owner of a dog and standing in heat of 39c I wanted to leave! we also mentioned we don’t mind paying for it. Which in the end we did. She then offered us another room when she had already told us she was fully booked. We wanted to leave and felt that she was forceful and it was very uncomfortable and awkward.
Leaving, paying 105€ for a room below standard, we booked ourselves in to another hotel super kind locals. I received an email from this lady the next morning (the manager) saying that my card wasn’t taking the payment and threatened me to call the police and saying she has done this before and will do it again if she needs... this for me coming from London as an abiding citizen is ridiculous as she had my account details.
Wow. Never again. Service was incredibly uncomfortable. We paid the next day over the phone and only solely to keep peace and not let it ruin our holiday that had just begun.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2018

Booked in for a single night and were surprised by the quality of the restaurant; it’s not cheap but excellent value for money, the staff, especially the Sommelier, were friendly informative and helpful.

The accommodation although good wasn’t of the same standard and had a bit of a motel feel, no aircon and windows not easy to open and feel secure – i.e. other guests walked immediately adjacent to your window which was either fully open or closed – no way of securing it partially open.

Breakfast was of an excellent standard giving a very good final impression.

Date of stay: June 2018