“A wonderful weekend with delicious diners!”
Review of Lewtrenchard Manor

Lewtrenchard Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lewdown
The Netherlands
“A wonderful weekend with delicious diners!”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Recently, Lewtrechard Manor was voted by The Times newspaper as the 8th most romantic restaurant of the UK. And we agree!! We've stayed at Lewtrechard in June. What a wonderful weekend it was! Because we've stayed there many times before, it was a bit like coming home. It is such a special place and everyone who has been there will agree. Everything is just what you wish it will be.. It's just not a hotel like every other one. Everything here is different. And we mean with different: more exclusive. The building itself, the rooms, the gardens, the food and the way they run this hotel. You can walk straight from the doorstep into the gardens or the feelds around the manor house. There is such a relaxing atmosphere in- and outside. It's amazing how the Murray family runs the Lewtrenchard. They want you to feel at home. It was as always: perfect! Our compliments to all the staff. And what a delicious diners we've had. Each time was a suprice. Very tastfull and creative. All the food was excellent! If we lived nearby we'd love to come more often. Now we have to wait until next year! Les and Ans Lommers - Zuid-Oost Beemster / Holland

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

A warm welcome , most comfortable bed we have slept in. Room slightly tired & shower weak. Food excellent & good value, good wine list. We would thoroughly recommend Lewtrenchard Manor for a relaxing break.

• Stayed November 2013
Truro
Reviewed November 28, 2013

This was our third stay within the space of a few months and we've now introduced 3 other couples which I guess speaks for itself. All 3 rooms we've stayed in have been nice & spacious and the king size beds are very comfortable. An atmospheric old country house with a friendly relaxed feel to it. We've been fortunate enough to eat at some extremely good restaurants in the last few years and the food at Lewtrenchard is excellent & thoroughly deserves its 3 AA rosettes. It's only a notch short of Michelin star quality (and actually much nicer than one Michelin starred restaurant we've eaten at). Prices are very reasonable for the quality - particularly the off-season deals. We will return!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Warwickshire
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Normally I would not write a negative review, however this was my second stay at Lewtrenchard Manor, the first was exceptional and we enjoyed every moment. But this time it was an awful experience and I would not recommend staying unless you told them everything was perfect. Our meal just tasted of salt, salt and more salt. Even the people on the next table left some of their dishes due to the amount of salt, in fact this meal was the worst I have ever tasted, the only positive comment I can make is the Desert was good. We were due to stay another evening, but we decided to leave instead as I do not like to have to make a complaint and then later feel uncomfortable because of it, if you read on this will become very apparent. This is when I was subjected to the most bizarre reaction I have ever experienced,. I told the Receptionist that the meal was awful and we had decided to leave, she apologized and I was fine with that. I said I had previously written a very positive review on Tripadvisor after I had stayed last time and said that I would not be writing a negative one as I thought it was perhaps just a "blip" and I would come back at a later date and try again. Then this is when it all became very strange, I went back to the room to pack, we then had a phone call from the Manager/Owner who suggested he come over to the room to discuss my issues, I suggested that I go to the main Reception. He then invited me into the bar/lounge and choose a seat, which I did he then pulled up a chair directly in front of me with his note pad, now I am sure any parent can identify with this, your child has been naughty and you have been summoned to explain their behaviour. Well he started to interrogate me about the meal, I told him it was salty etc, but then he started to question me saying that the last time we came it was the same Chefs who cooked the meal on that occasion and it was alright for me then, so why not now, I said I just thought it was a blip and wanted to leave it at that. He did admit that the people on the next table had also complained - the excuse from the Chef was that he had "reduced" the dish in question too much - hence the salty taste, he said he would bring the Chef out to talk to me, I did not want a confrontation and declined. He then became more and more agitated and became personal and insulting stating that because I did not want to stay and experience another meal like the one the night before I was being extreme. At this point I told him that instead of resolving any issues he had make them a 100 times worse. I then cut off this futile conversation and proceeded to go back to Reception and settle my bill. He then followed me (the lovely Receptionist looked very embarrassed at this stage), handed me the bill for £234.50 of which £36.50 was for a Bottle of Wine, Water and one Beer. There was no compensation for the disgusting meal, I suggested that there should have been some sort adjustment, at this he then became really insulting, saying ok then I will charge you Bed & Breakfast Rate at over £200 per night, then he said perhaps I shall charge you for the cancelled night - I would not have cancelled if the food been ok. I just gave up in the end, paid the bill in full and attempted to leave. He then started shouting after me saying ok then I will give you a free meal or accommodation next time you come - obviously I declined, he didn't leave it there, he then said I didn't charge you corkage, or for the use of the wine glasses and ice we had in our room. We had just had a lovely week in Cornwall and had approximately half a bottle of wine left over from our trip, we did not see that there was a problem for us to have this in our room, after all we did purchase drinks in the Restaurant from Lewtrenchard. After reading this I am sure you will understand that I would now definitely not recommend a stay at Lewtrenchard.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
14 Thank BeechwoodInteriors
TheMurraysoflew, Owner at Lewtrenchard Manor, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear BeechwoodInteriors, Thank you for your review. I am not going to go into the inaccuracies of your review here but and I hope that other readers of this review take into account the 123 out of 129 very good and excellent reviews. The Murrays
Budleigh Salterton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Staff, owners are all so nice and welcoming. Ambiance is wonderful especially when the fires are alight, gardens are gorgeous. Countryside is a true secret that should not be disclosed, the surroundings a breath taking. Hotel staff are all very helpful, discrete yet very attentive. Food is very imaginative and enjoyable. We look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Pack your walking boots, great walking and ten minutes from Dartmoor - result!, also Tavistock is te...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ann05081965
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2013

The appearance of a quintessential small Manor House and the ambience of having been invited to meet with friends in their country house. Yes this was mid week in November but all the staff appeared to be aware who we were, we were never asked to sign for anything such as coffee and wine. Everyone had a smile and all staff were most obliging.
The reception rooms were warm and inviting with log fires in several main areas and our suite (St.Gertrude) was amazing in its architectural detailing. Fully panelled but not dark due to being triple aspect. We had dinner included in the price and it was superb - as we expected - including the "Chef's little extras". Breakfast too was obviously in the hands of a good cook and the grilled smoked bacon was perfection although we did have to ask for some salt for our eggs.
Just two very minor "blips" the duvet for the king-sized bed could have been just a little wider and I of the cold feet brigade missed my hot water bottle as with no hospitality tray I was unable to boil a kettle. (I did rather in hope leave the hot water bottle on the bed before it was turned down but that old ruse did not work on this occasion!). I feel sure that if I had asked at Reception it would have been filled.
It was a pleasure to stroll through a linear piece of autumnal beech woodland and along the country lanes there.This is certainly a place we shall be returning to, hopefully in the Spring. To sum it up SUPERB.

Room Tip: I understand the suites are excellent value and some have external access if you have a dog.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We were looking for a hotel in Devon for a night to celebrate my girlfriends birthday and we couldn't have asked for more. We paid the special weekend rate of £195 which included a superior room, a 3 course evening meal and breakfast. When you pull into the car park the first thing you notice is that the manor is very impressive and you instantly feel ‘away from it all’. We were greeted inside the front door and given a lovely welcome before a prompt and informative check in. Our bag was carried for us to our room which was spacious and modestly grand. We felt like we were staying on the set of an authentic period drama and it felt refreshing not to be staying in a newer soulless hotel. I'm sure you'll come across the typical tripadvisor reviewer who feels it necessary to make an obligatory complaint about the odd mark on one of the walls or the smallest amount of mildew in the bathroom. The reality is that unless a hotel employs a 24 hour painter and decorator you will encounter the odd imperfection. And I make this point specifically for Lewtrenchard because of the age of the building. What people need to appreciate is that this has nothing to do with the general cleanliness and atmosphere of a hotel, both of which were superb. An ancient building like Lewtrenchard must take an awful amount of maintenance to keep running at the standard it does. The value was very good also. They could easily charge a fortune and go very high end but I'm glad they don't because it gives a lot of people the opportunity to stay at this beautiful manor. We had afternoon cream tea in front of the fire which was very cosy. The whole place was very peaceful and serene and perhaps, ironically, that contributed to the only negative point we experienced. It’s so quiet that we found ourselves almost whispering so as not to be overheard or to disturb others. However, with a good book or newspaper this would clearly be a positive and I’m sure people stay there for an escape anyway. The evening meal was fantastic. It was actually 5 courses and we'd have been happy to pay good money in a restaurant for the standard we received. It was top quality. The breakfast was of the same standard and the service throughout was excellent if perhaps a little on the formal side. It’s just a personal preference but I like a more laid back service. I don't write many reviews on tripadvisor, only for places that really are worthy of comment, good or bad. Lewtrenchard Manor is very highly recommended, we hope to return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewdown
Gidleigh Park Hotel
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa
Mill End Hotel
Mill End Hotel
#2 of 2 in Chagford

Been to Lewtrenchard Manor? Share your experiences!