Thank goodness for tripadvisor - I was looking for a place to take my wife to celebrate 10 years of marriage and the place we had got married all those years ago (the Horn of Plenty, nr Gulworthy) was fully booked...for someone else's wedding (fair nuff, hope they had a very good time).
Wanted to find somewhere relatively close by, and this place I'd never heard of before pops up as a high percentage rating. Did a little more research, phoned up for a guide on price and was very taken with the friendly, professional and informative manner of the ladies I spoke with - a good sign already. Easily arranged for some champers to be in the room on arrival and a masseuse session for my good lady wife mid-afternoon.
The manor itself is a splendid pile with an interesting history all of its own, not sprawling but well-sized with 14 rooms in total and some lovely grounds to stroll around in. All the staff were friendly and talkative, especially the owners who were often around and helping out. I had the cheek to ask if I could borrow an iPhone/iPad charger (as I'd forgotten mine) and one of the owners very selflessly lent me her own one overnight - just one example of how well you are looked after and catered for here.
The evening meal was absolutely superb, with each course being a delight to eat and unexpected but very welcome mini-dishes in between the three main ones - I can honestly say that it was one of the very best meals I've ever experienced, and there's a decent set of restaurants close to where we live in and around the South Hams.
Truly, this was a very very pleasant surprise indeed and we will most definitely be returning when the occasion arises again - thank you everyone so much at Lewtrenchard Manor!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by the hills of Dartmoor, Lewtrenchard Manor offers luxurious accommodation in a magnificent Jacobean house. Views from the glorious gardens stretch far over the parkland, and Dartmoor National Park is almost within walking distance.Delicious fish, beef, pork and game dishes feature on a menu prepared by an award-winning chef. Some of the hotel's fruit, vegetables and herbs are sourced from the kitchen gardens. There is also a tasting menu, where you can try a range of fantastic food.Each room at Lewtrenchard Manor has unique character and charming features. Many have views across the grounds, and all feature a TV, seating area, and en suite bathroom.The family-run hotel is situated in Lewdown, a 20-minute drive from Launceston. Here you can visit the many National Trust properties in the area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Lewtrenchard Manor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lewtrenchard Manor Hotel Lewdown
- Lewtrenchard Manor Okehampton
- Lewtrenchard Manor Hotel Okehampton
- Lewtrenchard Manor Lewdown, Devon, England