Lewtrenchard Manor
$54
Travelodge
$145
$140
The Duke of Tavistock(Tavistock)
$129
The Horn Of Plenty(Gulworthy)
$173
$157
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmurray familyafternoon teadining roomfour poster bedlog fireowners and staffexcellent foodprince rupertcountry housesandwichesfirst classa real treatlovely groundswedding anniversaryst clementsold buildingthree courses
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We came here for my 40th birthday and had a lovely time. The roaring fires and wood pannelling took us back in time. The ornate staircase and ornaments were stunning. Our bedroom was comfortable and in keeping with the historical feel. Teas and coffees can be brought to your room but not made as there are no kettles in bedrooms. We had a lovely view of the grounds and enjoyed a walk in the woods. Breakfast was nice. The dining room has a very formal feel. We would go back but often favour hotels with spa facilities which this does not have. Nevertheless a real treat.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Francesca H
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I came years ago several times at The Lewtrenchard Manor. We stopped when Von Essen took over the place. When we heard that the Murray family were back at The Lewtrenchard, we booked immediatly for four nights for the end of September. And yes, it was like coming home! Everything is so perfect. Go back in time. Log fires in beautiful paneled rooms, with beautiful ceilings, stained glass windows, etc. The manorhouse itself, the gardens, the grounds, all together it's a real gem. The rooms are stylish and very comfortable furnished. (We love the Getrude.) The food is excellent. Breakfast, lunch, diner, everything got that very high standard as you hope for. We think that The Lewtrenchard Manor with the Murray family and their staff are an award winning team! Many thanks and we'll come back. Les and Ans Lommers - Holland (Beemster)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Good old-fashioned country house service. It took me back 20 years, or more, to when the owner-run establishment was still commonplace. Rooms are well appointed and modern, or at least mine were. The dining room is a hushed percussion of cutlery and muted conversation. No mobile phones (there is no signal) or piped music here! The fixed-price dinner, at £49.50, plus another fiver if you want cheese, sets the expectation of something special. I would describe the quality of the cooking as competent, but not exceptional. Presentation was excellent, but there was something about the texture and taste which left me feeling somewhat flat. Delia Smith was once asked for her opinion of microwave cooking. She replied, “it creates soulless food”. I do not know if microwave cooking is in use at Lewtrenchard Manor, but I couldn’t help recalling her words. The cheese course was “warm”, and felt like it had been hurriedly brought to room temperature, furthering my suspicions. On a more positive note, there is a very good wine list and mark-ups are reasonable. Overall a very pleasant stay, run by a dedicated couple, who must clearly love what they do.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tripper064
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Lewtrenchard Manor with 4 other couples who were attending a local wedding. We were blown away!
Now one single thing to fault... the rooms are gorgeous, the food and service was fabulous, the grounds wonderful. Have recommended it to all my friends. If you want a perfect british get-a-way weekend, this is perfect.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tom W
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just home from yet another wonderful stay at Lewtrenchard Manor - hotel is perfect for a relaxing getaway - all room are very nice indeed especially on the first floor - food was amazing as my husband and I enjoyed a wonderful 8 course meal in the Purple Carrot (private dining experience ) - many thanks to the Murray Family who once again own the hotel and all the staff that make your stay feel so special - Sue and Bill Weddle

Room Tip: Go for a room on the first floor if you can - Gertrude is amazing - check it out online
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple