“An experience for life” 4 of 5 bubbles

Alternative Tourism Group
Flekkefjord, Norway
“An experience for life”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Day trip from Jerusalem to Bethlehem and Hebron: This is the tour to experience some of the paradoxes of the palestinian-israeli conflict, as well as some of the important holy sites of Islam, Judaism and Christianity. Especially the city of Hebron gave us something to think about. Our guide, Samer Kokaly, has plenty of personal stories to tell about how the occupation influences life on the West Bank. However, he keeps a somewhat optimistic and balanced view. Unfortunately, we had a separate guide in the Church of Nativity, who was not too good. However, I will strongly recommend a visit to the West Bank, and this tour is a good option. ATG can also offer accomodation in Palestinian homes, which is probably both cheaper and even more interesting than staying in Jerusalem.

Visited February 2014

Sao Paulo, SP
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“ATG Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

On January of this year, I had the chance to do a day tour in Hebron with ATG. For those who would like to understand more about the Palestinian struggle, Hebron explains itself what occupation is about. Samer Kokaly, our tour guide, was able to show us the political and historical parts of the city with precision, since he's a Palestinian. We were able to visit the street market, Ibrahim Mosque, the synagogue, a glass factory (worth going) and other touristic sites. What ATG promotes (and personally, this was one the best moments of the tour) is a lunch time in a Palestinian house. By meeting the family and having lunch with them, I was able to get to know more about the meaning of the quote "to exist is to resist" and also I was able to help the family income. In regards to logistics, I don't have anything to complain. Before the tour starts, we all gathered at Manger Square (Bethlehem) and spent sometime at Nativity Church.
All in all, my experience with ATG was worth doing and gave me another perspective about who are the Palestinian and how they resist the Israeli oppression. I strongly recommend.

Visited January 2014