“What's not to like”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Canical
Cramlington
“What's not to like”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Quinta do Lorde Resort from 1st July this year for a weeks holiday.

The hotel is excellent as is the accommodation. We had a beautiful room overlooking one of the three swimming pools and towards the harbour. Our room was on the top floor but there is a lift so access would not be a problem for those who cannot manage stairs.

However, the resort is built on a hill and although the climb from the captains bar in the harbour was no problem for us, it may affect those who find hills a problem.

The hotel is exceptionally clean, and the staff are friendly and helpful. The main restaurant was always cleared and a table ready for when you wished to eat.

As previous reports, I always found something I could eat, but if I had one criticism, the food could be a little hotter as I always found it was lukewarm.

There was a chef each morning who cooked a mean ham and cheese omelette which went down very well with the lovely soft bread which was supplied each morning.

If you fancied a change, the captains bar served meals each day which were very good. I had the local scabbard fish with a tomato risotto and the local garlic bread, and my husband had a huge steak sandwich with ham, egg and cheese, washed down by the very nice Coral beer.

I also have a small critisism with the bar upstairs, there was only one bar fellow serving which was great early on, but when the bar was busy, I found he struggled to cope.
They did put an extra person on after the mean meals were finished, but by this time the bar area was very busy and there was a huge backlog. - The drinks on the all inclusive by the way are very good quality, even the wine which sometimes can be like vinegar!

We hired a car for three days which I would definately recommend as the scenery is some of the best I have ever seen. It's not for the faint hearted as some of the climbs are very very steep and narrow, but worth the wait at the top.

Also, when you get away from the tourist areas, the prices for meals etc are very reasonable. We had the local scabbard fish with banana, fresh vegetables, new potatoes and a drink for 14 Euros, this was the total cost.

If you do hire a car, don't miss the Sao Vicente Caves and Volcanism centre - remember to take a raincoat for the caves, you have been warned!

A few people complained of the weather. The resort is at a remote part of the island and is not as sunny as Funchal. It was very windy and cloudy at times, sometimes drizzle, but it was still warm enough to wear a swimsuit. Please bear in mind that on sunny days, although there are some sunshades, you can very rarely put them up because the wind is so strong.
You may have to sit in one of the shaded areas just outside the main bar area to get out of the sun.

We also met some great people, Sean and Tracy, Emma and Steve - if you are reading this just remember the split peas!

In Summary, If you want the ultimate chill holiday, just to relax, have a nice meal, this is the place for you.
If you like to go outside of the hotel for an evening stroll or a change of scenery this is not for you. There is nothing outside the hotel other than some walks up some very steep craggy hills.
No shops or restaurants. However, I was happy just to meet up with friends for a drink or two in the evening.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sharonCramlington
Orhan S, Manager at Quinta do Lorde Resort, Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind and honest review. Hope to welcome you soon again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Malibu, California
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Not a lot of Americans have heard of the island of Madeira. Well I hadn't, well except for the famous wine. I really hope more Americans go it is like a little piece of Europe out 200 miles off the coast of North Africa. A part of Portugal.
This hotel just opened and it is first class. The service was great and the surrounding area just beautiful. As like most of Europe the bed was a bit hard for my tastes. The room was very comfortable, great bath, amazing view from my balcony. Food was very good, but you have to get out and eat your way around this amazing island. This hotel is located 30 min. drive from the city of Funchal, so get a car. Driving here is easy, it's an island with Freeways. The upstairs bar at night at the hotel is very nice and relaxing. I loved it

Room Tip: Get a view out to the Atlantic it is so worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank thecolonel1215
almeria
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed at the Quinta Do Lorde from 24th to 1st July 2013. The level of service throughout our stay was faultless and the friendliness of the staff was exceptional, from the maids/ managers/ waiters and bar staff - outstanding.
I personally wished they had more choice on the hot buffet however the desserts are to die for!!
I do feel this hotel would be better advised as a Couples Hotel but no one will be disappointed with their stay, it deserves its 5 stars and more.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
5 Thank lindsaywalker
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

What a beautifully built and appointed Hotel. Our room was faultless, and all the public areas so clean and high quality and attractive. A very high standard. Generally, the staff were friendly and helpful.
On the down side, the food was pretty mediocre, and still not everything there is up and running.
We would have loved to have sat down at the beach, but there were no seats at all. The sea pool was not open, which was a shame, and the spa is not completed. At the time of booking, they should tell you what isn't available.
The other thing was that it felt a bit like a ghost town. We love quiet, but this was too quiet by far.
No atmosphere really.We overlooked the marina, and the most exciting thing that happened was that one boat left and came back again later!
A really good idea would be to have a little shop selling a few local gifts for pressies and basic things. I was unwell during my stay and needed basic meds like paracetamol and ibuprofen. We had to get a taxi or bus to take us into Canical for this. Seems daft.
It is a lovely place, but could be better in many ways

Scotland
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks stay at this lovely hotel. We read the reviews before we went and were not sure what to expect but we had no need to worry. The hotel is beautiful and it far exceeded our expectations. The rooms were spacious and modern and the bathroom was lovely with both a separate shower and a bath, fixtures and fittings were exceptional. Our room was on the third floor (H5) and I had requested a sea view, which luckily we got (no extra cost). The only way I can describe the rest of the hotel is “Grand”. All the rooms and public areas were extremely clean and beautifully furnished.

A lot of reviews have mentioned the food and although yes there could be a little more choice we found no problem finding something that we liked and never went hungry. We could not really fault the food or the drinks. The main restaurant is a really nice place to enjoy your meals with some views across the sea with a balcony where you could finish off your drinks and enjoy the sunshine.

The staff are a real credit to the hotel. Just to mention a few, Bruno, Milton, Burak, Sonia and Bernardo who could not do enough for you (the other staff were equally friendly and helpful too) and Bruno remembered my husband’s name after just one meeting. They were all attentive and nothing was too much for them. For drinks it was waiter service in the restaurants and bar, which was a nice touch as we have stayed in 4 and 5 star A/I hotels around the world before and it was self-service so this was a nice surprise. There was also waiter service round the pool area (near the Splash Pool). The Deck (near the sea pool) is a great place to eat at lunchtime with a good choice of soups, salads, great sandwiches (the club sandwich particularly nice) and desserts. It’s a great place to sit and enjoy your lunch and hear the waves crashing in. A swim in the sea pool is a must too.

We were very lucky to be there for the Grand Opening where the President did the unveiling. It was a very enjoyable and memorable evening for everyone.

I don’t mean to put a negative in – but – we found at the welcome meeting the rep Lucy did not give any information on the hotel – how things worked, how to get things etc. so we felt that it was mainly the trips she wanted to talk about. She was very pleasant and friendly though.
We found out from someone else that all inclusive did not always mean that i.e. certain times applied at the Captain’s Bar – if you went before 11am for a coffee etc then you had to pay but the rep did not inform us of that.

Just a word of warning – there are no money changing facilities at the hotel and the only place to change any is in the centre of Funchal (we were told it was near the Cathedral and not that easy to find). There are other banks in Funchal but they do not exchange money. Having said that, there are no shops at the hotel to buy anything but thought I would just mention this in case you needed extra money whilst on your excursions etc.

All in all we had a great relaxing holiday and met some lovely people. If you read the bad reviews do not let this put you off. We think you will be pleasantly surprised – so do not hesitate to go.

Room Tip: H5 overlooking the sea from an upper floor.
11 Thank jandm123
King's Lynn
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I do not want to repeat what others have written, many points are valid some not, but what I would like to say is that I was looking for a relaxed hotel without the entertainment package of holiday reps constantly trying to improve my holiday. At Quinta do Lorde, I found this and had the most amazing two weeks. Everyone I met from the Owner, the restaurant staff, the pool staff and the housekeeping staff, all were top quality, friendly and always had time for their guests, and this meant that if I just wanted to lie on a sunbed all day before eating and heading to one of the bars to chat to other guests, then that is what I could do and did. The only suggestion I would have for the hotel is that they include the cost of the safe, the cost of the tea, coffee and milk, and the cost of a bottle of water, so about 10 Euro's worth a day, and add it to the cost of the holiday. I cannot see how anyone would not go just because it was 70 Euro's per week more, but it would stop the niggle that everyone felt having to pay it once there! Thank you everyone at Quinta do Lorde for an amazing couple of weeks, and I hope that the resort goes from strength to strength after a wonderful start to your first year of opening, it was a pleasure to be at the inauguration of this wonderful resort and we are looking forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: We were in A3 101 overlooking the marina, would recommend it
3 Thank Fran R
Reviewed June 28, 2013

As my title suggests we had mixed feelings about our stay here. As previous reviews have stated the hotel is not really all up and running and maybe should have waited another 12 month or so before opening.
Everything that is in operation is first class-rooms,bars, restaurants, food (lords restaurant) is amazing! Staff are brilliant and a special mention to Bruno, Barok, Innes,Mikaela and Emmanuel the pool guy. Can't remember all names sorry! We were disappointed that the Spa and Indoor Pool not ready. (No where near) No shops however looks like several are planned! Also disappointed that Orange Squash served at breakfast, not juice (5 star)? However we did mention this and we got orange juice every morning after! But this should be available automatically.
We think in a couple of years this hotel will be an amazing place for a chill out but needs to be completed first!
However all in all met some fab people (not many there) and had a fantastic holiday! Could say loads more but mostly all been said in previous reviews.

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank JKW2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canical
Vila Gale Santa Cruz
#4 of 86 in Funchal
Quinta Splendida
Quinta Splendida
#3 of 13 in Canico

Been to Quinta do Lorde Resort, Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!