“Best 10 days of our life”
Review of Koromakawa Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ono Island
Koromakawa Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ono Island
Reviewed May 21, 2013

As soon as you land in this beautiful lush resort you know you have made the best holidaying choice of your life! There are no pictures that do this resort enough justice.... the surroundings are pristine and the accommodation is beyond comparison.

my partner and I choose this resort as our honeymoon location and we will relive the tales and memories we shared here for the rest of our lives. the owners and staff feel like family that we miss everyday since leaving paradise. saying to each other "we could be in fiji!" has become a common event in our household.

there is not one fault with this resort, everything is A+++ and you will be treated like a king or queen. the only thing we regret is not hiding on the morning of our depature so that we would miss our flight and could spend another night here.

we will be doing everything in our power to return some day.....

THANK YOU, Karin, Spence and the wholes team!!!

Room Tip: There is one bungalow with 2 rooms....... I'd pick the water view, the sound of the waves crashi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had the most amazing vacation of a lifetime!!!! This resort is 5 star in terms of luxury, service, privacy and location!!! Everything was picture perfect from the day we got there and the owners ( Karin and Spence) and the staff were the most hospitable lovely people we have met. We were spoiled with scrumptious exotic cuisine at every meal and everything was taken care of. The tours, sightseeing, snorkeling, picnic on deserted island and other activities were so perfectly organized.. We loved every minute of this vacation!!! We definitely will visit again soon!!!
Springfield, IL

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Deepsanj
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Visit number three to this fantastic Fijian resort! If you want to completely disconnect in a private paradise, give Koromakawa a try. One bure, one guest/couple/family at a time. First class service, indescribable beauty, memories to last a lifetime, including swimming with the manta rays! See my review from September 2010. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank melrick
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife and I spent a wonderful week with Karin & Spence in July 2012. They were outstanding hosts who have done an amazing job setting up Koromakawa Resort. The bure, service, food, fishing, snorkeling the reef and visiting the Manta's was fabulous. A trip to the local boarding school and the picnic lunch on a deserted island was a plus. The lovo and meke were unforgettable with the staff and locals joining in. Karin, Spence and all your staff, thank you. We would love to return some day to be spoiled again.

Room Tip: You don't have to choose you are the only guests. Wow
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My husband and I went to Koromakawa for our honeymoon in November 2011. We had originally looked at an "over the water bungalow" in Fiji but after finding Koromakawa on the web we couldn't imagine going anywhere else. We certainly picked the best place for our honeymoon! The service was impeccable and everyone was so friendly and accommodating. The resort itself was absolutely breathtaking and far exceeded our expectations. It has since spoiled us for future vacations because I know no other trip will compare! The food was absolutely delicious. All the activities we did were amazing (hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, and swimming). I wish we could have stayed forever. We are already planning our next trip to Koromakawa! Thank you so much for a honeymoon beyond our wildest dreams!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Melissa F
Reviewed December 11, 2011

My vacation was outstanding! There aren't really words to describe my stay at Koromakawa Resort. So I will try to break it down into key parts!
My room was beautifully decorated and very clean! The girls, Ita and Carolina kept the frig stocked with water, diet coke and of couse Bitters :) Also kept the cookie jar full at all times... which my waist line doesn't appreciate but I thought was fantastic!!! Yummy....
I had the most amazing view out of my window. Could see the sunrise from my bed! Another touch that I appreciated was having those little things in case you forgot anything... We tried not to use any of the extra items, but it was a relief to know it was there just incase!
The food that was prepared for us was exquiside! My taste buds were savoring everthing! As I love to cook, I can appreciate a good meal! From crepes and potato pancakes with lox! curry crab, lobster, shrimp and even pizza.... I was in heaven! The presentations were beautifully thought out and the taste was incredible.
Although we made several attempts to catch a fish we came up empty handed! But we enjoyed the beautiful scenary and company of our hosts! We did however almost catch a large Treveli (not sure if I spelled that right?) But he is down deep in the waters laughing at our attemp and probably still sporting that red and white lure! Even though we didn't catch anything we had lots of fish, which was awesome! I love fish!
Our island get aways we so much fun. To be silly to snorkel or lay out on your own private beach. I saw a large sea snake sunning himself in the rocks, loved seeing that. When we were ready Spencer and staff came to pick us up, but not until then.
I did some scuba diving when I was there. It was so incredible! I had been certified years before but wasn't able to really get into diving. But Spencer took his time with me and helped me regain the confidence and love for the sport! He is an excellent diver and I never felt as if I was in any danger. He takes great care in your safety and I appreciated that. We aren't all experienced divers!
The staff was so helpful and tons of fun! They took us on hikes to nearby villages, and helped us with the boat. Also jumped at the call of another volley ball game! That was so awesome to feel like you are just as important from the staff as well as your hosts! So many resorts do not permit the interaction between staff and guests, so happy that Karin and Spencer are not like that! I enjoyed every moment with the staff!
And finally Karin and Spencer are trully the best hosts! They take incredible time and effort to make your stay with them,is the ultimate vacation! Whoever goes there and is fortunate enough to stay, will know what I am talking about! Already I can feel Fiji calling, and know that I will only want to stay at Koromakawa Resort! Thank you for the best vacation ever!

Room Tip: Either of the rooms are fantastic! Depends on when you like to wake up. The back room is quieter and...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Three teenage boys (14, 16 and 17) and I began our 5-week trip to Fiji and Tonga by spending the first week at Koromakawa Resort. We should have saved Koromakawa for the last week, because nothing else can compare to Spence and Karin's unique resort and hospitality. Indeed, we WERE spoiled. Spence and two (of their seven) staff members met us immediately upon arrival at the airport in Vunisea, and then transferred us in Spencer's boat (the same one we later would use for diving) to Koromakawa, on Ono Island. We were treated with fresh fruit and cheese and crackers during the 90-minute boat ride. Spencer's enthusiasm for Kadavu, Ono, the Astrolabe Reef and the surrounding islands was contagious and kept us riveted to detail. Mrs. Kissler (Karin) and the other five staff members were waiting for us on the beach in front of the resort to greet us with Fijian welcome songs, a fresh coconut drink and warm hors d'oeuvres.

The (only) bure -- the one pictured on the website -- is nestled among tropical flowers, shrubs and trees, about 30 feet above the beach. One bedroom has both a king-sized and a single bed; the second bedroom has a superbly comfortable double. The bedrooms are connected by a large bathroom, with a central glass encased shower, which the boys thought was "awesome". Teenagers aren't known for quick showers, but Spencer's solar hot water system won the challenge. The bure itself is both cozy and cheery, and open on all four sides with expansive louvered (and screened) windows. Each room has a large ceiling fan, which was more than adequate for keeping us comfortable. "Eclectic" describes the tastefully appointed rooms in the bure (which is more like a luxurious cottage) as well as the furnishings in the Kissler's home.

Meal times were at the guests' leisure. Breakfast could be served out on the deck or in a nook within the living room. Brady (the youngest) wanted his eggs cooked (fried) somewhere between "dippy" and "over easy". (The kid and Karolina had such a serious discussion about cooking an egg!) I'm not sure of the difference, but Brady enjoyed exactly what he tried to describe the evening before. The meals were fantastic, varied, beautifully served, and always prepared to our liking. A week before our departure from the U.S., Spence sent an email saying that he and Karin had had no success locating (in Suva) a jar of mint jelly--which I had previously mentioned I like with lamb. However, by the time we arrived, mint jelly turned up on the Kissler's dining room table! Our evening meals--except for one--were served over in the Kissler's dining room, where we also took part in exciting and colorful meke and kava ceremonies. Dinner was served using Karin's family's heirloom china, crystal, candlelight--and great conversation. Elegant!

Although all of the meals were special, one in particular is unforgettable: Stephen's 17th birthday. Not too many boys from rural southwestern Pennsylvania will celebrate a 17th birthday in Fiji; I doubt any has had one as elaborate and distinctive. Karin, Karolina and Ita spent most of the afternoon decorating the thatched-roof table out on the bure's deck with tropical wildflowers, hibiscus and colorful croton leaves, not to mention dozens and dozens of candles. Steak and lobster. Karin's exquisite table setting. A Fijian serenade and "happy birthday". More music. And a bottle of champagne.

Scuba diving and snorkeling were excellent. (Incidentally, the water temperature was 81F in late June.) Spence went out of his way--way beyond the call of duty--to help Brady (the youngest) feel comfortable in the water. We dived with pilot whales and with manta rays on more than one occasion. The boys used kayaks to paddle up a small stream to a nearby school--then climbed UP to the top of a waterfall. One of the staff took us to the nearby island of Buliya so that we could attend Sunday morning church services. Late afternoons were spent playing beach volleyball with the staff and the Kisslers. Looking back, there was so much to do and not enough time. Note to myself: plan on two weeks next time.

The night before we departed, there was another kava ceremony, followed by singing and dancing in the Kissler's bure. Karin and Spence gave each of the boys a simple necklace, each with a single piece of polished coconut shell. I notice now that in all of the photos taken after we left Koromakawa, the boys were always wearing their prized possession. Four weeks later, at the Nuku'alofa airport, I found similar necklaces in the duty free shop. I thought it would be a good idea to purchase a few more as replacements, as boys have a tendency to misplace things. All three declined my offer because, as Brady said, "They (the necklaces at the airport) wouldn't mean as much to me because this one--pointing to the one around his neck--was given to me by my friends." (heavy emphasis on the last word.)

The Kisslers are a world-class host and hostess. They and their staff ARE Koromakawa. When it came time to say our good-byes, Spence put an arm around me and thanked us "for sharing a week of your lives with Karin an me." He got it wrong.

Room Tip: Just go to Koromakawa. No further advice needed.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Grant A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ono Island
Mai Dive - Astrolabe Reef Resort
Oneta Resort
Oneta Resort
#2 of 3 in Ono Island
Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort

Been to Koromakawa Resort? Share your experiences!