Just got back from a week stay at mai dive & it's easily one of the best places i've stayed at. Going there is a bit of a struggle with the propeller plane and choppy boat ride (a real ordeal for someone who's prone to air/sea/land sickness like me) but it was all worthed !! This is one of those places that you just can't stop singing praises for and you'll miss instantly once you leave. Its a mixture of the beautiful dive spots, yummy food, friendly people, lulling atmosphere and the wondefully set up cottages that will makes you feel so lucky to found this gem of a place.
-Room : The cottages are fairly new and very nicely done. Its very airy and the sea breeze is cool enough that you wouldn't realise that there isn't any air con at the cottage. In fact i need the blanket to sleep at night.
-Bathroom: Its an outdoor bathroom with running hot water. Luxury !!
-Food: Reading the reviews i had expected the food to be good. But even with that expectation the food still blew me. Foods are simplicity at it's best. Everything are fresh, prepared very well, and nicely presented. Think of 3 course meals with full set table settings and lantern lamps every night. Also when i said fresh, its really fresh, fresh vegies from Joe's farm, fresh fishes from the sea, and fresh bread !! One of the stand out were the eggplants, which were basically fried and topped with white sauce. Very simple, but it was cooked to perfection that not getting a second serve was a struggle i wasn't willing to go thru. The plain donuts we had for breakfast also stand out. They're plain regular donuts with dusting, but they are always fresh and still warm hence true delight.
-Service: Think of boutique hotel meet your favorite aunt's place. Everyone are friendly beyond words and your every little whimps are accomodated. I have a soft spot for young coconut & sugar cane which are on the garden but not on the menu obviously, but Joe hand kindly spoiled me with them all the while i was there. He even pack me some for the journey back to nadi !!
-Cleanliness: Its top notch. I noticed that even the mosquito nets were washed when we leave. We did get the occasional stray wasps or bugs but really it wasnt a biggie and largely due to my habit of leaving the cottage door open.
-Activities: My partner & I spend most of our time on the open water course. Jason the proprietor is just out of this world as a dive instructor. And the dive sites are amazing, the nemo farm was a delight. One of the highlight was snorkling with manta rays. It was awesome. My partner's mum spend most of her time relaxing on the resort soaking the sun and she thoroughly enjoyed the sea breeze & idyllic atmosphere. We went for a sunday mass at the village which was inspiring. The church was tiny & barren but it boast a full house choir, very beautiful singing. We actually missed the regular village visit while we were there but we were lucky enough to get invited to the opening of the new kindy at the village. The meke performed by the children was cute beyond words.The whole celebration was boisterous, but the food was truly wonderful and plentiful.
In summary, If you are after a full on nightlife/partying holiday you'll be dissapointed. But if you are looking for a place to get away from city life without giving up life's luxury like hot water, good food, wonderful rooms this is the place to be. And you can't ask for any better host than Jason & his family there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Remote Adventurous Pristine Fijian Resort on Ono Island in Kadavu Fiji. The closest resort to the Great Astrolabe Reef. All facilities are new and absolute beachfront. Eco Resort with solar power, fresh water spring, vegetables garden & fresh seafood. PADI Certified dive operator & plenty of non dive activities. Maximum of 14 guests, as this is a low key relaxed family run resort. Fantastic facilities and even better food with full board included - come and stay with us a while..... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Mai Dive - Astrolabe Reef Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mai Dive - Astrolabe Reef Hotel Kadavu Island
- Mai Dive - Astrolabe Reef Resort Fiji/Ono Island