Mai Dive - Astrolabe Reef Resort
$1,005
$780
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Beqa Lagoon Resort(Beqa Island)
$256
  • Pool
Oneta Resort(Ono Island)
Tiliva Resort(Kadavu Island)
  • Beachfront
Kokomo Private Island Fiji(Yaukuvelevu Island)
  • Restaurant
Papageno Resort(Kadavu Island)
  • Beachfront
Lalati Resort & Spa(Beqa Island)
  • Pool
All reviewsonoboat rideswim throughsastrolabe reefmanta raysother guestsfishoutdoor showerkava ceremonylocal villagevillage visitspent daysremote locationdiving experiencesoft coralscoral gardensfijian culture
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is my first ever review, written because Mai Dive was so wonderful. Joanna and her team made our five day stay absolutely perfect. Nothing was too much trouble and all the staff were warm, friendly and welcoming.

The rooms were immaculate, the food wholesome and delicious, the diving was great, the setting gorgeous.

More than this, every single person went out of their way to make our stay better and better: I mentioned how much I wanted to eat Fijian food before leaving and they made a special lovo; my partner wanted to drink a coconut and our dive master turned up with one - these little touches were really appreciated and absolutely made the holiday.

We did the adventure package - two days of diving, an island visit and a trip to Bird Island, and it was great. I was a bit out of practice after not diving for a year and Micah took me for a refresher course the day before our first dive without any hesitation, which was excellent.

We also really enjoyed hanging out with Joe and all the staff for kava, tall tales, and dad jokes..:) as well as some excellent singing.

Mai Dive is perfect, I thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 223FionaB
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was the second trip in a month for my husband who had previously taken one of our daughters on a diving holiday here. She fell in love with this gorgeous island and they had some fantastic diving.My husband was convinced I would feel the same way, so back to Ono Island it was.
We stayed at Mai Dive for a week in July 2013 and I don't think I can fully explain why it was such a fabulous experience. It was like spending time with friends tucked away in a pristine and very remote location. Food was fantastic(and each meal beautifully "plated"); staff were brilliant (and I mean EVERYONE) and the diving was like I remembered the Fijian waters 25 years ago when I first visited Fiji. I have spent a lot of time diving in the South Pacific and this really is something special. Richard and Micah - you are both fantastic - an absolute pleasure to dive with.
Our bure was simple and gorgeous. Very peaceful. The outside shower was a special and somewhat blissful treat especially after each day's diving.
And being a local family-owned resort makes it even more special. Thank you Joe for allowing us to share this very special place. Your father would be so proud of what you have done.

I love this place and can't wait for our next trip!
Cheryl

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sophieNZ
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Mai Dive for 8 days in May, 2013, and found everything about the experience to be exceptional. We liked the small size of the resort and its remote location; it felt less touristy and more natural than anywhere else we stayed (we spent 3 weeks in Fiji total, including a week in Matei, Taveuni/the Rainbow Reef and a few days in Nadi and nearby islands).

1. Diving: the reefs were pristine, the dive group small, and we didn't see another dive boat in the water the entire week. Even when it was a bit stormy we were still able to find some excellent diving. Divemasters Richard and Maika always made us feel safe, and all of the equipment was in good repair. Both my husband and I completed our Advanced Open Water certifications while we were at Mai Dive and were very happy with the course - the instruction was low key but very informative and useful, and it improved our confidence in the specialty areas (our favorites were Peak Performance Buoyancy and Underwater Navigation). The snorkeling offshore from the resort was also superb, just a few meters from the bures. Later in our trip we dove at the Rainbow Reef from Taveuni, and while that was also excellent diving, our experience at Mai Dive was far superior (more pristine coral, fewer divers, shorter boat rides, and a better diving experience).

2. The Stay: From the moment we arrived we found the atmosphere at Mai Dive to feel incredibly happy. The bures are decorated with a simple elegance, with a lot of natural wood and outdoor (hot water) showers. They felt luxurious while still being practical. The food was delicious with abundant snacks available, and the staff were friendly and welcoming - they even goodnaturedly helped me learn a bit of the Fijian language. :-) We enjoyed the communal dinners and interacting with the other guests, but found that we still had ample privacy when we wanted it.

3. Communication: the folks at Mai Dive were great at responding to emails and answering many questions before we arrived. They were also very accommodating when a scheduling issue came up as we were planning our trip.

If we ever get another opportunity to come to Fiji we will definitely visit Mai Dive!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lemcmd
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Read the other reviews there is nothing more to say.
This place is brilliant and is currently offering some of the cheapest diving in the world on some of the best dive sites.
Make sure you check the activity prices some are free, some have a nominal fee and dive gear is additional to dive cost. Look into the adventure package it can be a very good deal.

If you can stay here do. Food amazing, staff amazing and the diving/snorkeling? amazing.

Room Tip: All are excellent
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David F
Reviewed August 4, 2013

It is truly hard to capture what is so unique and special about Mai Dive in a short review. This was more than just a vacation. It was like spending a week with friends at their beautiful hideaway in the Pacific. This is a truly special place with some of the warmest, friendliest people I have ever met. We were supposed to initially visit at the end of March 2012, but never made it after a destructive cyclone interrupted plane and boat travel all across Fiji. The next time we were able to travel to Fiji was in June 2013. Danielle, who handles the bulk of the correspondence and reservations, graciously allowed us to rebook for June at no extra cost even though it fell outside of the normal twelve month rebooking policy. This is just one of about a thousand stories I could tell you about the wonderful people who own and work at Mai Dive and their exceptional customer service.

Mai Dive is remote and requires a plane ride from Nadi and a 1 1/2 - 2 hour boat ride from Kadavu. But then if it was fast or easy to get to, where would be the fun and adventure in that? I was initially a bit concerned about the journey over since we were traveling with our 2 year old daughter, but the entire journey went very smoothly and our daughter ended up loving it! The journey makes your arrival at Mai Dive feel all that more special.

Overall: 5++ stars

Beach: 2/5 stars - I'll just got this part out right away. Mai Dive is located right on the water and there is a beach at low-tide which disappears at high tide. This is not a place for sunbathing on the beach or setting up a beach chair and curling your toes in pure, fine white sand. Go to one of the Mamanuca Islands for a few nights, have that experience, and then come Mai Dive.

Rooms: 4/5 - We had our own private bure, which felt more like a beach shack. It was incredibly comfortable, very clean and well kept, tastefully decorated, and spacious. After a week, it felt completely like home. I especially loved the outdoor shower.

Diving/Snorkeling: 5+/5 stars - Surface intervals on deserted tropical beaches on uninhabited islands with crystal clear water eating yummy pastries and drinking tea. Not a single other dive boat anywhere within eyesight. Fish, fish, and more fish. Snorkeling with the giant manta rays. Need I say more?

Food: 5/5 stars - Plentiful and yummy with a beautiful presentation

Richard, resort manager: 5+/5 stars - The best resort/hotel manager you will ever meet. Friendly, funny, helpful and an incredible dive instructor.

Fijian Staff: 5+/5 stars - One of the highlights. Beautiful, friendly people. They embraced our daughter as one of their own. By the second day she was already going in and out of the kitchen in search of cookies and milk!

Childcare: 5+/5 stars - One kid's club, just a Fijian babysitter available anytime to supervise the kids as they build sand forts, collect coconuts, and hunt for crabs.

Other guests: 5/5 stars - Prepare yourself to meet fascinating and friendly people from all over the world.

So finally, I just want to say thank you, thank you, thank you to Danielle, Jason, Richard, Micah and all of the staff at Maid Dive for such a truly incredible experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family