“You cant wrong!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glentress
Glentress Forest Lodges
Durham, United Kingdom
“You cant wrong!!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Fantastic for mountain biking in Glentress, literally on the doorstep. The lodges are spot on, warm and tidy with electric heater, kettle and fridge. Friendly welcome and great facilities, you really cant go wrong with this place, its a gem!!! will definitely be returning.

Gav and Daz, Ferryhill, Co.Durham

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank GavJ76

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wales
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed in a pod at Glentress Holiday Lodges, it was clean and had everything we needed. I was worried it might be cold at night but it was really warm and there was even a heater which would be handy in the colder months. The beds were really comfy and we slept really well. There was a fridge and a kettle in the pod too. The ladies shower block was kept nicely considering that most people had been out biking or walking in the mud during the day. The best feature for our group was the kitchen area, which was really handy and meant that we could all gather together for breakfast in the warm and dry.
We had a great stay and will be back, the proximity to Glentress and Innerleithen mountain bike trails makes it a really good all-rounder !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Just a short review of my recent stay up at Glentress Forest Lodges, in case anyone was thinking of heading up that way in the future.

Prices are outstanding, we paid under £200 for a group of 10 for 2 nights. This included 7 people in tents, 1 in a van, and 2 in a wigwam.
Included in the price is use of a TV room, a fully equiped kitchen (fridge, microwave, hobs, kettle, cutlery, table etc), a dry-store area to dry off your kit after a days riding, shower block (which is kept at a nice, toasty temperature, and is nice and clean considering most of the clientel is hairy-asred mountainbikers) and use of the bike-store area, which is a secure shipping container.
You are allowed campfires, and the wigwams come complete with a fire-pit, a BBQ, and a picnic bench.
Inside the wigwams, which are again kept nice and clean, you have light, heat, electric points, a kettle and a fridge. The beds have matresses, but you'll need to provide your own sleeping bag. I'd say they'll fit 2 with bags of room, 3 in comfort, and up to 5 if you're "close". I'd not recommend for more than 3 though.

The site is located right at the foot of the trails, just opposite the new Peel Centre at the bottom carpark. So there is the bike shop and cafe right there too. You will never be more than 50m away from the start of the trails.

The guy who runs the place is a top bloke, very happy to help, and generally a really nice, friendly bloke. He sorted it out so that our group could all stay together as a group in our own little area with the wigwam too. He does have lots of places to be though, so the reception area is not always manned, I'd recommend giving him a bell 15-20min before you arrive, although he does leave keys handy and instructions about who is staying where.

I'd go back again in a heartbeat. And in fact, am already planning a longer stay for next year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Matt B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Treated my boyfriend to a weekend at Glentress and found these wigwams. Thought they would be a unique way to spend the weekend in relative comfort. On arrival we were greeted by Ian who walked us up to our wigwam – Sycamore. He pointed out all the facilities and also suggested where we could pitch our tent the next again night. The wigwam was spacious and comfortable enough. There was a decent sized fridge, power points, a heater, outside bench and a bbq. We set the bed up at night. I would recommend taking a sheet to put on the blue mats as they has a plastic texture which I wouldn’t have wanted to sleep on without something on top. I also forgot to take a pillow which made my night’s sleep a little uncomfortable but that was my fault. The toilets and showers were just down the hill from the wigwams. I wish I had brought flip flops to wear in the shower area as the floor and mat seemed dirty so I was wary of that. The room was warm and the water was always hot. On the second night we didn’t have access to a power. It would be good if there was a power point to plug a hairdryer into in the toilet area or somewhere else in that building.
We enjoyed our stay in the wigwam and the tent as well. Great facility at the bottom of the trails. The only improvement I would like to see is the shower room floor being a little cleaner but over all a good little venture that I hope to see do well. Our stay here added to my first mountain biking experience and we will be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OrigamiStar
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I booked the forest lodge with a view of staying here and mountain biking for the weekend. It looked like it would be brilliant facilities, an ideal location and I couldn't wait. However, I sustained a knee injury 6 weeks prior and was in need of an operation and my biking holiday had to be cancelled. I called the lodge to apologise and gave 6 weeks notice of not being able to carryout the booking, I was told I would be issued and refund and nothing happened, a week later I called again and was told that they had been very busy but will get on it. I received a refund a week later, however I was not refunded the full amount of £104 instead only £80. I sent an email asking if there had been an error and waited a few days but had no reply. I then rang up to ask why I hadn't been refunded the full amount and I was greeted by a very rude man who told me that I was lucky to get a refund at all and he thought this was an appropriate amount to deduct for his time and effort and supposed card charge fees. I think £24 for card fees with a 6 week notice period is very steep, and once again he reiterated he was under no obligation to refund anything. I don't ever recall being charged anything more than £1 for card charge fees in normal establishments, and I find it hard to see how the time and effort to issue a refund would equate to £22. More importantly why didn't he mention when I rang that there would be a cancellation charge, I would be happy to pay it, but the way which I was spoken too and the poor customer service given has left me feeling that the forest lodges need to rethink there policies and customer service skills. Be warned, if you need to cancel expect rude service and a steep cancellation fee.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank birdyblue
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2012

A group of us visited this amazing location for a spot of Biking. Location wise the trails start at the end of the camp site....enough said! We stayed in our tents and the price was very competative, we also had the use of a fully functioning kitchen, dry room, TV room, hot and cold water with plenty of showers, outside sinks and lots of 3pin sockets! There is outside power for motor homes and plenty of room to camp. The owner is a very pleasant and helpful chap, make a note of his phone number so you can inform him of your arrival time as he has a farm to run as well as all the upkeep and maintenence of the site, so it saves each party waiting aimlessly. The site is extremly enviromently friendly, recycling, sustanable timber lodges, economical power source.....

European and worldwide friendly.....just bring your smile and enjoy all thats on offer! Oh and bring your swim wear because after a long hard hot ride there is nothing better that a dip in the River Tweed, less than 5mins walk over the road!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank J14hno
Tayport, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I have visited Glentress on a number of occassions and this time decided to try the 'Wigwams' by Glentress Forest Lodges.

I travelled with a pal for a couple of days mountain biking. The location of the wigwams is great, there are 10 on total and we stayed in Oak which was on the front. On arrival the Reception was not manned so a phone call was required and after a short wait we were given an early check in which was good. The wigwams sleep 3 and have a fridge, electric heater, mains power and tv aerial point. They are well insulated and adequate after a days cycling.

Now for the bad point.......the communal showers/toilets (Gents) were disgusting, terrible smell of urine, dirty and in need of a good clean. On checking the Ladies area they appeared clean and totally different. Maybe due to it being April, the site was not staffed so there was nobody to complain to. The drying area provided was also scruffy and full of discarded clothing.

On checking out at 11am - again there were no staff on site and the keys were left in the unattended Reception. The visitors book indicated that recent residents also had issues with the showers/toilets being dirty......which clearly have not been addressed. I was later contacted by a member of staff and provided detailed feedback, however, I was not offered any refund/option to return at another date etc.

Very very disappointing for such a world class Mountain Biking venue and my planned trip to the 'wigwams' in the summer with my 11 year old son is now OFF - due to the cleanliness of the toilet/shower block.

In a word....go enjoy the wigwams but shower and use toilets elsewhere!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank onemanjazzband
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glentress
Peebles Hydro
#2 of 8 in Peebles
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#5 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Glentress Forest Lodges? Share your experiences!