3,216 results
All reviews bar prices cream tea executive room lovely hotel steam room and sauna leisure facilities first class relaxing break db b both nights evening meal restaurant staff bed and breakfast food was lovely cooked breakfast lovely room enjoyable stay
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Its been a while since my stay at the cardrona,as when we were last there the last twice we complained a lot .
We could see it going downhill . Me and my husband got married there three years ago and at time and before it was a great hotel with great staff , we had been going for about nine years before that . My friend just text me to tell me she was staying there for two nights as a birthday present, and says it was shocking . That's a shame because like I say it was a great hotel at one time. Someone needs to get there finger out there as it could be a winner . So sad .

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed for 3 days on a Itison deal, that included B&B and afternoon tea. It is our 3rd visit to the hotel and we love it but time they sorted out some small points. Let us start with the good - ideal location, set in beautiful rolling countryside and easy access to other border towns, Peebles and Edinburgh beyond. Entrance and lobby fresh and modern, bar and dining area good all with great views. Bedroom - fitted wardrobe, fresh linen and towels, tea/coffee, TV, heated towel rail, bath and shower. Free toiletries. Free WiFi. Staff were mostly helpful. Afternoon tea ideal, warm scones with cream and jam, tea / coffee. Good leisure facilities and great golf course - a must to play. Now the points that let it down. My wife is disabled and we had to complete a two page declaration- what to do in the event of fire evacuation - did we need help etc. On arrival the disabled access door - press the button and hey presto it opens - was not working and did not work during our stay. If you were on your own you would have to ask for help, not very helpful. In the room, the TV remote did not work (back panel missing), window would not close properly, curtains were badly worn, toilet difficult to flush. Now for breakfast - as usual you are shown to your table, and informed it is all self service (used to be cooked to order). Good choice and quality, except for the toast and lack of jam/ marmalade! Day one toast left in basket on tea table, it was cold even on arrival. Day two, realised you had to ask for toast, which I did but none arrived, after 15 minutes asked again and it arrived, cold. Day 3, asked for toast on being seated, 10 minutes later, none, asked again and it arrived - warm - success. Only problem left was there was no jam or marmalade in the jar’s!
Maybe small points but easily sorted and make it a 5 star holiday.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Cardrona_GM, General Manager at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear 856JohnP856,

Many thanks for your comments.

I will be passing on to my maintenance team to repair the disabled access door as well as looking at the window and toilet in your room.

As for breakfast I have personally now intervened and where I can lead the breakfast service to ensure the service and standards are the ones my guests expect.

I do hope that you come and see us again.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We have stayed here on many occasions over a 10 year period. The hotel is now up for sale / sold and it would appear no money is being spent.
Maintenance is not being done. Kitchen ran out of brown bread and provided a soda bread sandwich which was inedible.
The bar had no crisps or nuts and apparently hadn’t had any for six weeks.
There was a dire shortage of staff, hence slow service. Having said that the staff who were still there were working their socks off and were embarrassed that they couldn’t offer a better service.
I think the least the management should do is offer a complementary stay once the problems have been dealt with.
Over to you John?

Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear MickeyBlue-Newcastle,

I am sorry to hear that on your recent stay was not to the standard of your recent visits.

I would be more than happy if you would like to contact me directly to discuss the unfortunate issues you encountered duiring your stay.

My Email address is gm.cardrona@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

In the meantime i hope that you can accept my most sincere apologies.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights as our first family mini - break away. The golf course and surrounding area was beautiful ! However, the rooms were grubby and worn and had not been given a proper clean.
The service from the staff was shocking. We heard the cleaners arguing outside our room and swearing at each other, staff talking about residents whilst sitting in the bar and the poorest check in we’ve ever had. No information given .. just literally handed our keys and that was it.

The breakfast was awful after waiting 40 minutes for our food. We went out both nights for food.

The staff are clearly fed up and don’t enjoy working here. This is not a 4 star hotel and not worth the money we paid.
In need of a massive overhaul.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank meganpitz

Dear meganpitz,

I am sorry your recent stay was not to your standards.

We are currently finalising our refurbishment programme.

I will be personally discussing you comments with my housekeeping team and reception team.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we were not to your liking.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked this hotel last week as a 4 star but I a am afraid it is not a 4 star. I think I would rename it faulty towers. There were so many things wrong but the worst was lack of staff. The staff were very helpful and pleasant but not enough of them .we had a lovely room with patio doors which we could not open at first. The housekeeping was appalling beds not made properly pillows left on floor had to keep asking for toiletries and toilet rolls. Radiator fell of the wall had to be repaired. Menu did not change all week. But I keep stressing what staff they had were very helpful. It is a lovely hotel but needs doing and has a lovely outlook to the golf coarse but we had too many complaints.and I must say most of the staff agreed at the lack of proper service.

Room tip: We had room 106 liked the room and the outlook.
1  Thank catherine o

Dear catherine o,

I am so sorry you felt disappointed with your recent stay.
I will share your feedback with the Housekeeping team.