“Teed off with a pretty poor show from this Hotel”

Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cardrona
Aberdeenshire
“Teed off with a pretty poor show from this Hotel”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed one night at the MacDonald Cardrona as a corporate booking en route to the British Open. It's a visually pretty ugly building but nestled in beautiful lush hills and our room was a 'golf view' one so had a lovely outlook over the course. The room was spacious (huge shower) and clean - a bog standard corporate hotel room really but has everything you need. My issue is with everything else! And there's a weird thing in that the corridors are really dark as the automated lighting system doesn't kick in very quickly so you feel like you are in Pentonville rather than a Golf Hotel and Spa.

My husband was hosting a private drinks reception and dinner which had been organised by the London office so he was not party to the organisation however we understood that we were having drinks in the downstairs area by reception which looked very pleasant and comfortable. In fact, two guests were already there. We were then told them we were in a room upstairs which we all had trouble finding not least because our group had to find their way through a wedding party to reach the room - I'm not sure who was more embarrassed or surprised! Our reception turned out to be in a stuffy, unattractive room round the back of a bar and we were told that we had to queue at the bar with the wedding guests to get our own drinks although later a waiter did appear and served us.
Dinner was served in a large private room which was OK. The food was average but the service was dire - food arriving before the wine and then a lack of wine glasses which we had to ask for about four times. I felt that the staff were inexperienced, untrained and had little idea of service and that is the hotel's fault. The waiter had no idea of what Malts or brandy selection was available, and when I was served the cheese board and asked what the cheeses were, the response was "I have absolutely no idea. Sorry." There was no offer to go and find out and by then, I'd lost the will to ask any more.
Usually I avoid MacDonald hotels as I always find them poor and this just verifies what I thought. I'll be writing to them directly and expecting some recompense to the company.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here then the Golf View rooms have the view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank foxxylizzy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I bought a deal for this hotel through 5pm for dinner bed and breakfast and a spa treatment for a girly weekend with a friend. We were really excited as the pictures looked amazing and we got a really good deal. We arrived a bit earlier than check in time but this didn't seem a problem and we were checked in really quickly.
Our twin room was on the opposite side from the golf course beside the car park but we still had a beautiful view of the hills around the hotel. The room was lovely and spacious, the whole hotel was lovely so no complaints there. Our only issue was how we were treated by staff.

As soon as we checked in we went to the spa for our treatment, the staff there were nice and made us feel relaxed, a perfect start to the weekend. However, after our treatments we decided to grab a bite at the golf bar. We went to the bar to order sandwiches and I asked for a chicken, bacon and tomato sandwich but asked if I could have it without tomato. At this point another man behind the bar interrupted "no, it's all mixed in" really bluntly like I was being an inconvenience. I shrugged it off thinking that I must not be the first person to ask that so we paid for our food and drinks and sat down. After 15 minutes we still didn't have our drinks so my friend went to the bar to ask for them. The man who had interrupted earlier asked what we ordered and when she told him he asked "and did you pay for them?" which we found quite rude.

Later we went to the pool which was great as we had it to ourselves and had such a beautiful view, great to chill out before dinner. It was at dinner where we felt service was at it's poorest. We waited 15 minutes before getting asked for drinks and another 15 minutes before taking our order. The food was nice but when we had heard award winning we were expecting a bit more. When it came to asking for the bill we had to ask 4 times!!! We waited at least 10 minutes in between each time and every person we asked they went away and we were forgotten about. It got to a point that I went to ask the manager who was standing at the waiter's desk and she said "I've already been informed and I'm getting it for you now." No apology,nothing. I've never had to try so hard to give someone my money!

I don't know whether it was because we were there with a deal or because we are young but I do feel that we were not treated as we should have been. It was a shame, we were looking forward to having a few cocktails at the bar but we were completely put off, instead we went back to our room to paint our nails etc with the bottle of fizz we brought with us!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had a delightful stay at this hotel recently for a small golf break on route to Edinburgh, the hotel was very comfy and the supper we had was outstanding, all members of our group agreed the food was very very good.

The rooms are comfy, I stayed in a twin room, it had 2 beds, some chairs, a telly and a bathroom more than adequate for a Douglas or 2 so all bases covered there. I had a lovely nights sleep as did my friend who was so impressed with the cleanliness of the bathroom he decided to catch 40 winks in there!!

The spa was a slight let down as there was no jacuzzi which we were all looking forward too but the pool was nice as was the steam room, the changing rooms were clean with one of those machines that drys your trunks. I don't partake in gym based exercise but I noticed a large gym there for all the folk who prefer running and rowing on a machine rather than outside or on a boat.

Finally the Golf course. Well it really is a beauty, top draw fairways and greens, lovely setting with a delightful Barry Burn running through the middle But a tough tough track, to give you an idea of how tough it is we were on route to Muirfield for The Open when we stayed here and found the rough at The Open set up for the worlds best golfers was considerably less penal than the rough at Cardrona. Don't let that put you off though, it's a great course, just take a alot of balls.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and i have been to the cardrona many times so it must be good.We have always had a very quick check in and been in our room in about 10 minutes after checking in. The rooms are to a very high standard modern and with all the facilities loverly big beds with a good night's sleep and with a good view over looking the golf course.scenery is fantastic in a loverly valley with rolling hills all around you. We were staying b& b so could not comment on the evening dinner we took a taxi in to peebles and found a good chinese restarant after a good sleep went down to a good hearty scottish breakfast the entire service from the staff was excellent in ever way from checking in to checking out we will continue to use this hotel when ever we can

Room Tip: High floor either looking over the golf course or the hills
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

When we lived locally, my family and I had bar snacks at the Macdonald Cardrona Hotel on a fairly regular basis. Our visits were always enjoyable, with efficient and professional service. However, this has not recently been the case.

On paying return visits to Peebles on two separate days over the past few months, we decided to have a bar snack in our old haunt. On both occasions, there were very few customers in the bar (and restaurant) area, and the waiting staff were certainly not "pushed". Despite this, our one side order was forgotten (on both occasions).

On our latest visit, we were given forks wrapped in napkins, but no knives - and had to ask for them to be provided. After reminding the staff about the side order, it arrived when we were more than halfway through our main course. The waiter/waitress removed one of our main course plates before we had both finished eating. Finally, the coffee and accoutrements were brought to the table before the other main course plate, side plate, cruet set, sauce dish and cutlery had been cleared away.

On going through to the ladies' cloakroom, we found that the cloakroom was being cleaned - which is perfectly reasonable and to be expected. However, the chambermaid had placed her cleaning products etc over the entire basin area, and did not move them (or herself!) when we were attempting to wash our hands. As a result, we had to negotiate our way round her and the various cleaning items!

Needless to say, we were very disappointed with the recent deterioration in the service. It was not what we were expecting from a hotel of this calibre and we will certainly not be returning in the near future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Great hotel, perfect location with views of rolling hills from every angle. Friendly helpful staff. Bedrooms good size and well decorated. Swimming pool was lovely, perfect water temperature, and great big warm fluffy towels provided. Food in the restauraunt was also well prepared.
Small childrens play areas outside, which was great. Extensive coutryside all around the hotel, which makes up for it being a couple of miles outside the town. Excellent value and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Great views all around.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just returned from a 2 day break, we booked through a 3rd party who failed to communicate our booking with the hotel, but this was not a problem for Alana on Reception. She immediately told us there were plenty of rooms in the hotel and offered us tea or coffee whilst they sorted out the problem.
The hotel upgraded our room for our inconvenience. The room was very nice with patio doors leading on to the golf course. There was a lovely shower cubicle as well as a bath.
The food was exceptional as was the service, all the staff were friendly, polite and helpful.
I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardrona
Peebles Hydro
#6 of 8 in Peebles
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#5 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!