We stayed one night at the MacDonald Cardrona as a corporate booking en route to the British Open. It's a visually pretty ugly building but nestled in beautiful lush hills and our room was a 'golf view' one so had a lovely outlook over the course. The room was spacious (huge shower) and clean - a bog standard corporate hotel room really but has everything you need. My issue is with everything else! And there's a weird thing in that the corridors are really dark as the automated lighting system doesn't kick in very quickly so you feel like you are in Pentonville rather than a Golf Hotel and Spa.
My husband was hosting a private drinks reception and dinner which had been organised by the London office so he was not party to the organisation however we understood that we were having drinks in the downstairs area by reception which looked very pleasant and comfortable. In fact, two guests were already there. We were then told them we were in a room upstairs which we all had trouble finding not least because our group had to find their way through a wedding party to reach the room - I'm not sure who was more embarrassed or surprised! Our reception turned out to be in a stuffy, unattractive room round the back of a bar and we were told that we had to queue at the bar with the wedding guests to get our own drinks although later a waiter did appear and served us.
Dinner was served in a large private room which was OK. The food was average but the service was dire - food arriving before the wine and then a lack of wine glasses which we had to ask for about four times. I felt that the staff were inexperienced, untrained and had little idea of service and that is the hotel's fault. The waiter had no idea of what Malts or brandy selection was available, and when I was served the cheese board and asked what the cheeses were, the response was "I have absolutely no idea. Sorry." There was no offer to go and find out and by then, I'd lost the will to ask any more.
Usually I avoid MacDonald hotels as I always find them poor and this just verifies what I thought. I'll be writing to them directly and expecting some recompense to the company.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa in Peebles, offers luxurious contemporary accommodation set in timeless natural surroundings. With the hotel's scenic location on the banks of the River Tweed you'll discover a relaxing haven - just 40 minutes outside Edinburgh and 90 minutes from Glasgow and the North of England - nestled amidst the tranquillity of the Scottish Borders landscape. With an award-winning restaurant, two bars, 99 comfortable and spacious bedrooms and conference and wedding facilities, our hotel in Peebles makes the perfect retreat for a leisure stay and offers a superb backdrop for any special occasion. While you're staying with us, why not try your hand at a round of golf on our 18-hole championship course or enjoy a dip in the pool and a luxurious treatment in our spa and leisure club. Guests can also take advantage of our fishing rights and try to catch some Scottish Salmon along the River Tweed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf And Spa
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf Hotel Cardrona
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel Country
- Macdonald Cardrona Resort Country
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa Scotland