My husband booked a £99 deal for dinner, bed and breakfast for a one night stay at the MacDonald Hotel in Cardrona.
First impressions were fairly good. Not particularly cosy and inviting but the hotel has a decent lounge area with comfy sofas and tables. The front of the hotel is unfortunately right beside the road but the back looks out onto the golf course and has a much better view.
Our room was fine. Really comfortable beds and very clean, except for the grubby worn carpet. Furniture was slightly chipped and there was a large cracked tile on the bathroom floor, which wasn't great but otherwise fine. We did have a bottle of chilled still water, which was lovely but a very small supply of instant coffee and tea and one very small packet of shortcake to share!
Dinner was good, except for the size of the portions! The food quality was lovely. I ate rump steak and received 3 "medallions" of beef which were around 1 inch each, 3 or 4 green beans and a small fondant potato. My husbands lamb shank was a little more substantial. We don't expect huge portions, especially when eating 3 courses but I would say that the dinner portions were bordering on the ridiculous side of small! On the plus side, staff were friendly and helpful.
The main reason I have knocked off 2 stars is because of the complete lack of value. Thank goodness we booked a deal, otherwise I would have felt completely ripped off!
Cocktails at the hotel start at £9.50 each which is a little on the expensive side and wine starts at £25.95 but breakfast is charged at an exuberant £17.50...... EACH!
In other words a family of four with a couple of teenagers would pay £70 for breakfast.....I find this completely unacceptable. The breakfast consisted of the usual buffet of cereal, yoghurt, pastries and fruit juices, followed by a cooked breakfast ....again with very small portions. One sausage, one piece of bacon and a little scrambled egg. As with dinner, the quality was good but the quantity was poor.
In common with other reviewers, the reception staff tried to charge us a supplement when we checked out, despite us having settled this the evening before.
I think the MacDonald Cardrona is a reasonable hotel which is selling various deals at a decent cost and then charging guests through the nose for alcohol and food.
It's a shame but this has put us off a return visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa in Peebles, offers luxurious contemporary accommodation set in timeless natural surroundings. With the hotel's scenic location on the banks of the River Tweed you'll discover a relaxing haven - just 40 minutes outside Edinburgh and 90 minutes from Glasgow and the North of England - nestled amidst the tranquillity of the Scottish Borders landscape. With an award-winning restaurant, two bars, 99 comfortable and spacious bedrooms and conference and wedding facilities, our hotel in Peebles makes the perfect retreat for a leisure stay and offers a superb backdrop for any special occasion. While you're staying with us, why not try your hand at a round of golf on our 18-hole championship course or enjoy a dip in the pool and a luxurious treatment in our spa and leisure club. Guests can also take advantage of our fishing rights and try to catch some Scottish Salmon along the River Tweed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Travelocity, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf Hotel Cardrona
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf And Spa
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel Country
- Macdonald Cardrona Resort Country
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa Scotland