“relaxing stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cardrona
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“relaxing stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We've stayed here several times for weekend breaks. Lovely location and the staff are attentive. Meals are always excellent.
Leisure facilities can be busy, and if you want a massage or therapy session you would be best to book ahead as there aren't too many therapy rooms.
Can't fault it though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MacCardrona, General Manager at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Stewart

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am very pleased that you continue to enjoy your visits to Cardrona and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Stuart Maxwell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed with my husband and young daughter on 13th and 14th Feb. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip, all the staff were very attentive and helpful and lovely with my little girl. The food in the restaurant was really excellent, better than I had expected and the room and facilities were great. I would have liked dressing gowns provided in the rooms, and I did feel that for us (staying with a 1 year old) it would have been nice to sit down earlier than 6.30 for dinner which was the earliest sitting, just as she was tired towards the end. However this didnt affect our enjoyment of our stay and I would certainly return. I also had a wonderful scalp massage in the spa. Our DBB package was great value, thanks very much.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisa T
MacCardrona, General Manager at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Lisa

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your comments to the team.

Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is one of me and my partner's favourate places for a quiet night away. Stayed on a Sunday night and booked DB&B for less and £120 which for the standard of hotel and the food is excellent. The modern rooms are all spacious and clean with large bathrooms with seperate showers and the spa area is large enough and especially on a Sunday, nice an quiet. Food in the restaurant is excellent and in my opinion cant be faulted and breakfast is fit for a king. Overall a really nice place to spend some time relaxing, reading the Sunday papers in front of a log fire.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MacCardrona, Manager at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for your very positive response. I am delighted that you again enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to Cardrona and Macdonald Hotels again.

Kelso, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Booked this spa day through a Groupon deal and it was well worth it. From arrival to departure we could not fault this spa. Used gym equipment, pool,steam room and sauna. Enjoyed lunch and then relaxed until time for our back massage and facial. These treatments were the best we have had and we have had many in different spas. All the staff we had contact with were excellant, Linda, Bob, Gemma, Nicola and the young man (sorry did not get his name) who helped me in the gym to set up the treadmill, thank you for a lovely day. Looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MacCardrona, General Manager at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for providing an excellent review of your Spa Day. I am delighted that the team all looked after you so well, I will pass on your feedback to them.

Irvine, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have wrote a review for this hotel before but have been again twice since then so decided to do an update.

I have now stayed here 4 times in 2 years and I am always sad when I leave & look how I can find the monley to return.

The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. The lounge is my favourite spot to read my book, take in the relaxed atmosphere of the hotel.

I have to say i have noticed a change in customer care since my last stay & in fact the staff are now more attentive and nothing is too much trouble, maybe a change in management since my last stay is behind this.

The breakfast and dinners are top quality, I was disappointed the menu for dinner had not changed much since my last stay (2months ago) but the quality of food is good & I enjoyed my meals on both nights.

I would say I only stay here when there is speacial offer & this makes it good value for money, I do not think I would pay full price for a stay as I think these rates are a bit steep for what you get.

I will return to the Cardrona & would suggest you go visit but try to go if you can get a good deal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pmc82
Thank you very much for your very kind review, I have passed on your comments to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Tried to book groupon spa day- what a fiasco! Phone calls not answered and cut off after waiting for four minutes- this happened on four occasions over three days. When I finally got an answerI was told there is a groupon only line open Tuesday to Saturday and as it is Sunday I was to call back. There no mention of a groupon only line on groupon. When I did call within the allotted days I was twice told that someone else would call me back as only 'Linda' is dealing with it. I was told by a male member of staff that all my chosen dates were full. He was very abrupt and unhelpful so I said ok I'll call back later. When I called back AGAIN I spoke to another female - Pippa maybe? Who told me no bookings were being taken that day due to the computer being down. At this point it had become obvious the rude male I spoke to before had either lied about the fullness of my chosen dates or not even bothered to look.I was promised a call back after 5 on tuesday- none received. It has now been six days with no success and I have therefore given up. I have contacted groupon for a refund but think the service has been nothing short of a joke! Based on the telephone service alone I can't even imagine what A spa day would consist of based on the manner of service. I recommend A ) a full time receptionist as ringing out for four minutes at a time is ridiculous and B) perhaps don't advertise on groupon if you are not equipped to deal with the influx of bookings.

Stayed February 2013
5 Thank Ugenjxd
I am very sorry you were unable to get through to book a time for the excellent deal on offer. Our excellent spa days and deals are very popular and do book up very quickly.

Please contact me directly at the hotel if you would still like to book.

Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Booked a night away with the kids during half term.
After checking in our room was only made up for 2 people, called reception and by the time we came back from a swim the beds were up and made. The only problem with the room was that it smelt of smoke. Not the hotels fault.
Went to the restaurant in the evening and can honestly say that we were all delighted with our meals.
Used the gym, pool and steam rooms on both days. Only downside was that the non residents complained openly about the kids in the pool. Mentioned this to reception upon check out, don't think it was the first time that they've heard this.
Overall, we would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your kind review.

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed their visit to Cardrona.

Stuart Maxwell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardrona
Peebles Hydro
#6 of 8 in Peebles
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#3 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!