Stayed here as a golf package. The hotel itself was ok and the rooms were spacious, however there were parts of the public areas that could have done with tidying up a little, ie walls showing spillage marks that hadn't been effectively cleaned.
There seemed to be quite a high number of staff that were training and although this was not a problem in itself it did mean that we waited longer at times than you would have expected.
The worst aspect of this hotel, which is marketed as a golf hotel, was the customer service. We arrived for a 2 night stay and had booked 2 rounds of golf. Admittedly the great british weather had been awful and no-one can control that. The course was closed due to flooding - as it is on a flood plain and very close to the river, I would imagine this happens quite a lot.
When we checked about the course for the first day's golf we were just told that it was closed. We were told that if there was any further rain the course would remain closed the next day. After a substantial amount of rain overnight, we assumed, based on the advice given the day before, that the course would be closed and missed the tee time. We then discovered the course was open. We were also told that there had been an alternative course that could have been arranged nearby for the previous day's play. This was not mentioned by anyone and had it been we would have certainly taken that option.
The complete lack of customer care in relation to the golf is appalling for a hotel that is marketing itself to golfers. So whilst I give the hotel an average rating - this is for the accomodation and not for the customer service which was distinctly lacking. We would definitely not return to this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa in Peebles, offers luxurious contemporary accommodation set in timeless natural surroundings. With the hotel's scenic location on the banks of the River Tweed you'll discover a relaxing haven - just 40 minutes outside Edinburgh and 90 minutes from Glasgow and the North of England - nestled amidst the tranquillity of the Scottish Borders landscape. With an award-winning restaurant, two bars, 99 comfortable and spacious bedrooms and conference and wedding facilities, our hotel in Peebles makes the perfect retreat for a leisure stay and offers a superb backdrop for any special occasion. While you're staying with us, why not try your hand at a round of golf on our 18-hole championship course or enjoy a dip in the pool and a luxurious treatment in our spa and leisure club. Guests can also take advantage of our fishing rights and try to catch some Scottish Salmon along the River Tweed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf Hotel Cardrona
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf And Spa
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel Country
- Macdonald Cardrona Resort Country
- Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa Scotland