Stobo Castle
Hotels.com
$102
$85
  • Breakfast included
The Gordon Arms Hotel(West Linton)(Great Value!)
$100
Traquair Arms Hotel(Innerleithen)
$78
The Park(Peebles)
HotelQuickly
1,212 results
All reviewsmy mumspa areafitness classesdrawing roomhealth spafull body massagehydro poolmain buildingspa receptiontotal relaxationrelaxation roomspa facilities are excellentdining roomsan overnight stayfirst classspa breakcold buffet
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I am just back from a 2 night stay at stobo castle with my 2 friends, and I am really disappointed this time with a lot of things, the hot tub was just full of dead flys and I am not talking just 1 or 2 there must have been hundreds, and when I said to the man about it he said they will not harm you and it is cleaned out every hour or so but think it would need cleaned every 5 mins it just looked really dirty and horrible so we didn't get to use that. Then we went for lunch and asked for the salmon and there was none so went to the buffet which was a joke, I had 2 small bits of chicken and 2 slice of tomato. There were more things but don't want to go on, so looks like this will be my last time at stobo until they do a bit of decorating.

Room Tip: Park lodge is the best place to stay
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aileen T
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, following your stay at Stobo from Thursday to Saturday of last week.

I’m sorry about the proliferation of flies – the outdoor hot tubs are being checked every 15 minutes to combat this seasonal occurrence.

I was a bit disappointed to read your comment about decorating standards – we spend a multiple of a six figure sum each year to ensure our guest bedrooms and public areas are maintained in pristine condition, all part of our ongoing investment in our facilities. A prime example is the deluxe room that we were delighted to upgrade you to following your overnight visit to Stobo in March of last year.

In closing, I hope this assurance will give you the confidence to consider another visit to Stobo next year in the company of your friends.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

On a recent stay with a good friend we found that the relaxation start right from the front door.
The staff are just so natural and lovely, they care for your every need.

We stayed in the Castle Lodge this time which was really impressive and up to the usual Stobo standards. The room was very spacious, large double beds to sink into a lovely view out of the windows and it was so peacefull and relaxing.

The aquafit classes were really enjoyable, good fun, and anyone can join in. We also managed to fit in a stretch class which gave us a well needed release to all those muscles that don't get used quite as often as they should. Here again the staff were always very attentive, helpful and smiling.

We didn't partake of many treatments this time other than a pedicure and a facial which we're very much enjoyed and have a lasting benefit as we managed to take some of the lotions and potions with us along with the expert advice.

The whole of Stobo itself is so relaxing as we enjoyed resting and reading in the spa area, or the drawing room where a nice cocktail can be enjoyed.

The hot tubs are a must for anyone and just a gorgeous way to finish off a nice swim or in the evening befor bed.

This was the first time we have been down for the chefs class and it was just Brill, we enjoyed every minute of this wonderful Stobo treasure under the name of Theresa, it was a wonderful light funny half hour with an added bonus of gorgeous food. Many thanks. Have you ever thought of bringing out a book for all your recipes. The most difficult thing I had to do was decide what I wanted to eat, it was all so taste tingling and beautifully served.

Many thanks to you all I don't want to mention anyone in particular because you were all lovely and everything you do behind the scenes and that lovely smile just made us feel special and enjoy the whole experience.

Pat

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear Guest,

I really cannot thank you enough for commenting so favourably on your recent visit to Stobo.

Especially, in respect of the care and attention you and your friend received from our staff.

Mother Teresa keeps promising to publish a book of her recipes - maybe, an online petition from all our past guests will do the trick!

With kind regards

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Don't worry this is not a slagging off review per se but there were a couple of things that you should be aware of.
Don't book into the lodges that are separate from the main house. They are tiny and very basic. We decided when we went in that we couldn't possible sleep in there but the wonderful Elanor in reception upgraded us into a great room in the main building.
Dinner was pretty average - nothing terrible but dull choice and patchy service.
My massage wasn't very good I'm afraid.
If you are a man (check now) then, like I did, you could find yourself the only male there which is fine I guess but pretty strange when you are surrounded at breakfast by women of different sizes and shapes all dressed in the towelling gowns ahead of their treatments.
Fabulous lounge - if only we could have opened a window to clear the stuffiness.
Visit the wonderful Japanese garden.

The whole place just needs a bit of a rethink and refurbishment but overall there is no reason not to come along - and the local scenery is stunning!

Room Tip: Must be in the main house - not the lodges
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JeffBarnes
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, following your recent visit to Stobo.

I hope you didn't feel too intimidated being the only male resident - numbers do fluctuate but we have seen a remarkable growth in couples wishing to spend quality time together.

In closing, I was delighted to learn that we managed to upgrade you to a deluxe room in the castle and you enjoyed the magnificent views from this room.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

This review is solely for the food. I love Stobo Castle (usually a real treat and the staff are lovely), but having stayed there again I have to say that the food wasn't great. The lamb, pork and steak were overcooked and not as we had requested, and the broccoli and green beans could only be described as 'warmed-up raw' rather than al dente (and yes, we could have complained each time, but not many of us feel comfortable complaining in a restaurant). I could go on (esp. about the cooked breakfast, the non-runny poached eggs, the same kind of bread at every meal), but I'd just like to say that I'd prefer Stobo to focus on the quality of the food / cooking rather than the quantity. I don't want to feel stuffed - just that having paid a small fortune for a 2-day stay that I got something worth the hefty bill. Please bring the meals up to the same standard as the hotel and spa (which are really good).

Room Tip: Choose any room in the castle.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank A. K
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, following your visit to Stobo last weekend.

I'm so sorry you felt some of our dishes were overcooked - lamb, venison and duck are served "pink" for tenderness - pork, for obvious reasons, needs to be more thoroughly cooked and steak is prepared to order.

We do strive for perfection and I just wish your concerns were raised at the time, so they could have been addressed immediately.

On a more positive note, I was pleased to learn how much you enjoyed other aspects of your visit.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Went with my two daughters. Had booked the Seymour suite in the main castle. This allows for three people to share. Two double beds and a day bed. The room was individually decorated with character. There is a small dressing room which is very well designed for its use. The bathroom is spacious and has separate shower and bath cubicles. Complimentary toiletries in bathroom, which are not really used as spa facilities provide all toiletries needed.Seating area very comfortable complimentary fruit, biscuit and refreshments. The spa area itself is modern and well maintained. Treatments taken were, back and facial massage, Jessica hand treatment and dream water lounge. Any small problems that happened were dealt with quickly and professionally by the staff. No need to worry or moan, the staff will deal with anything they can. It's all about relaxing and they help you do that. Food is tasty, good portions and variety. Then there's twinkly lights and cocktails in the atrium at night.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Elizabeth H
Stephen_Winyard, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for commenting so favourably on your visit to Stobo with your two daughters.

With two windows over the front and one window over the lake, the Seymour suite probably affords the best views of all our rooms.

Thank you also for mentioning our staff - they really do go the extra mile to ensure the comfort and welfare of all our guests.