“Luxurious weekend stay”
Review of Stobo Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stobo
Stobo Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stobo
Melrose, United Kingdom
“Luxurious weekend stay”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

If you want to feel pampered, go to Stobo Castle health spa for a day or a weekend. The surroundings are very luxurious, the rooms aRe beautiful , the food is delicious and the staff are absolutely great. And that is before you start on the pool and spa! The ozone pool is a joy to be in, and you can follow this with the jacuzzi or the outdoor hot tub and a relaxing time in the steam rooms. The therapists offer a wide variety of treatments, too.

Room Tip: The rooms are all gorgeous, but the cashmere suite is a real luxury!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review, following your visit to Stobo earlier this month.

We're absolutely committed to an on-going programme of refurbishment, all with a view to providing the very best facilities possible.

With kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Glasgow
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Mum and I have just returned home from 3 nights staying in a Classic room within the castle and want to go back already! This is only our second time staying at Stobo but we intend to make this an annual trip and booked for Feb 2014 before we left!

From the moment we arrived the staff took care of us, showing us to our room and making sure we were comfortable. We had a gorgeous meal on Saturday night and a wander around the castle and spa.

The food at Stobo is a real treat and mum and I had something different and delicious every lunch and dinner (we even squeezed in dessert twice a day!) Breakfast is great, perfect poached eggs! Finishing at 9am is never a problem when you can relax in the spa reception or drawing room for as long as you like! The waiting staff are lovely, could not fault their service and they are so friendly.

Mum and I had 2 treatments this time as we wanted to make full use of the facilities and go on the Stobo walk. We had the mud room treatment for 2 which leaves your skin feeling great (and it is such a laugh!) and then we had facials which were amazing!

We met Mr Winyard who is a real gentleman, he showed us around other rooms that we may like for our next stay and genuinely cared that our stay had been faultless. A lovely person, accomodating and generous.

As I said, we have booked for next year and we both can't wait for that 'So Stobo' feeling as we arrive at the driveway. Nothing compares to the truly special way you feel whilst at Stobo, we are so glad that we found it!

Thank you for everything!

Room Tip: We liked being on the first floor in the castle this time, lighter and lovely views!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gilli C
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very generous review, following your visit to Stobo last week in the company of your Mum.

Don't be fooled by appearances - they say some terrible things about me on Tripadvisor!

It was a privilege and pleasure to meet you both and I look forward to welcoming you both back to Stobo next February.

With very best wishes,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I'm convinced there's a crane at the entrance that lifts the baggage from your shoulders as you enter as I seem to lose all stress the minute I arrive!! The staff at Stobo are all so friendly and helpful and professional they always make sure you enjoy your stay. The facilities are excellent, as is the food making it a great retreat with the girls. I try to visit at least twice a year (it would be more if I could get away with it!!) can thoroughly recommend Stobo for a girly trip, it's a great way to catch up with friends.

Room Tip: Rooms in castle lodge are lovely but it's worth paying the extra to stay in the main building an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting such a favourable review, following your latest visit in November. Also, for highlighting the warmth of the welcome you received and the attentiveness of our staff.

I do hope we will have the distinct pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to Stobo later this year.

With kind regards
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've just returned from my first trip to Stobo with my wife. I was a bit anxious because I didnt know how male friendly it would be but I felt quite comfortable there. We were greeted with a very warm welcome and shown to our massive room in the castle. We opted for the classic room for the special occasion. It took some getting used to walking round and dining in a bath robe but I soon settled in.

We had left our young children at home for a relaxed night away and Stobo certainly delivered! My only regret is that we didn't stay for two nights and make the most of a full day inbetween.

I found the army of staff very helpfull and friendly and we were made to feel at home. I really enjoyed the food. All meals are served in the same room and most guests wear bath robes to dine in for breakfast and lunch. The evening meal was more smart-casual.

As a male there wasn't as much to cater for me. My wife had to tell me about the additonal steam rooms etc in the female only area. This wasn't too much of a problem. There was plenty for me with the pool, hot tub, steam room gym etc.

I only have a few grumbles. We tried to book treatments for our second say at 5pm on the day of arrival and were told it was fully booked so we had to go without any. This saved us a bit of money but we didnt get any treatments on the second day. We were also disappointed that the outdoor candle lit hot tub was out of action. As we had stayed in winter I was looking forward to going there after dark. It did re-open in the daylight the next day.

Lastly Stobo seems more geared to groups of female friends rather than couples. I tried to book a double room and was told they only have twin rooms, but the two beds are doubles anyway. Although the room was large the beds were small doubles and we ended up sleeping in seperate beds to get some space!

The above didnt really spoil our stay. We were able to totally unwind at our own pace (without screaming kids!!!) and came home refreshed. The only treatment I had was a back massage and it was awesome.

We'll certainly go back one day but maybe next time we'll book our treatments a week in advance so we don't miss out.

Room Tip: Worth pushing the boat out for a stunning classic room but beware the "double beds" are sm...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting such a comprehensive report on your first visit to Stobo in the company of your wife.

Whilst we will always have a predominately female clientele, we have certainly seen a surge in the number of couples who recognise the attraction of Stobo as a venue where they can truly spend some quality time together. Further initiatives are in the pipeline to augment the facilities for couples to enjoy together.

In closing, I'm sorry we were unable to meet your request for additional treatments at short notice - I sincerely hope we can put this right next time around.

With many thanks,
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I last went to Stobo 13 years ago and there have been some vast improvements since then - the pool area is large and bright, there is an outside hot tub and a choice of steam rooms. This visit was with a group of ladies and,in my opinion, that is what Stobo does best. It's not intimate enough somehow for me to ever go with my husband however it's a brilliant break for some girlie time. It's lovely to be in your white Stobo bathrobe all day (even for breakfast and lunch) and wander to the pool, steam rooms, gym or enjoy one of the great variety of beauty treatments on offer. I was irritated to find that slippers were not provided though. Although I was informed that this is conveyed to guests when booking, I was invited by a friend so did not receive that information. They were for sale in the Stobo shop (one to miss - a bit tacky) at £9.95! They are so cheap to buy in bulk, they should be selling them for £3 if they are going to sell them and they'd still make a profit. I also thought it was a bit 'mealy mouthed' to ask guests not to take the toiletries from their rooms - I wasn't bothered anyway as although its branded ' So Stobo' which is very nice, the products themselves are highly coloured and not in the same league as Aveda or similar.

Those little gripes aside, it was a wonderful stay. Our room was in the main building and so seconds away from the pool, treatment rooms etc. nice enough room although the spa showers were better than the one in the room.

The food was lovely. My tuna steak was superb and, as I had to leave before lunch on Friday which was included in our package, the chef made me two Brie and tomato tarts to take away! Breakfast included lots of fruit and a big choice of cooked options. It would have been nice to have yoghurt from a local farm rather than that Rowan Glen mass produced stuff but I o understand t cost implications. The salad buffet at lunch was lovely.

Two members of staff stood out for me - Ann, the fitness instructor - she is one tough cookie but boy, do her classes tone you up! And Durina, lead therapist, who I was lucky enough to have o my sugar glow treatment. What a lovely lady and a credit to Stobo. Oh, and the post dinner belly dancing workshop was brilliant fun!

Stobo is a stunning place in a gorgeous location. Don't miss the chance of a champagne cocktail in the drawing room.
A

Room Tip: Rooms in the main hotel are near to all facilities. If you stay in Castle Lodge then you'll nee...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many, many thanks for highlighting all the improvements we have been making over the years - in fact, we continue to heavily re-invest with a number of exciting new projects in the pipeline.

You will be pleased to know that complimentary slippers will be provided in all our rooms by the end of this month - the towelled slippers we sell in the shop are machine washable and should last for over a year!

I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the food and thank you also for mentioning both Anne & Dorina "in dispatches" - they really are a credit to Stobo.

With very best wishes,
Glenmavis / Scotland
Reviewed February 26, 2013

A most enjoyable overnight stay. Good attention given in a very dignified manor from arrival right through to we left after lunch.Food excellent and nice presentation. Enjoyed the leisure facilities. Advise anyone intending to have any treatments they are better to pre-book.

Room Tip: A suit on the ground floor was superb. had a beautiful view out onto the gardens with 3 patio sets o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Just a brief note to say how delighted we were to hear how much you enjoyed your recent overnight visit to Stobo - particularly, with regard to the quality of the food and leisure facilities.

With many thanks,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stobo Castle is situated in beautiful settings out in the sticks. The drive to it is lovely and quite easy to find too. I loved the interior of the castle and rooms but there were a few things I found disappointing. Although the treatment was really good, the pool was freezing and the showers wasn't working properly. Our room was beautiful with a stunning view over the hills, but I was lying at night listening to footsteps upstairs and same again early morning. Not great! I didn't really enjoy the meals. They were quite basic and staff was bordering on the rude side. I am sorry to say that I wont be rushing back to this place :(

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MetteMum
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, following your visit to Stobo some four months ago. In fairness, I do recollect that the temperature of the pool was running at 2 degrees below the optimum for a couple of days at that time and I am sorry that this compromised the enjoyment of your visit.

As you will have seen from numerous other reviews, the quality of our food and the professionalism of our staff have attracted many plaudits - it is a matter of regret that their level of satisfaction did not meet your expectations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stobo
Peebles Hydro
Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
The Park
The Park
#6 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Stobo Castle? Share your experiences!