“So relaxing”
Review of Stobo Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stobo
Stobo Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stobo
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Went with three friends for one night in September. We all have small children so it was a lovely relaxing break.

We booked standard rooms which were lovely. We had booked quite late so we didn't have rooms together - one was on the first floor with an amazing view, the other on the lower ground (no view). The rooms were nicely decorated and comfortable.

The food was good, the spa just wonderful and the treatments very relaxing.

Only one negative point was that check-out was 12 but our last treatment had been scheduled for 12 so were were worried about how to juggle getting changed etc. We mentioned this to the receptionist and she said she would arrange for a late check-in for 1pm. It would have been nice to have been offered this as a matter of course on checking-in to save us worrying. On retuning from my treatment at 12.45, my room keycard no longer worked and I had to go back to reception in my dressing gown to sort it out.

All-in-all, the only downside about Stobo was having to leave. We'd definitely like to go back for longer next time!

Room Tip: We were very glad we'd booked rooms in the castle rather than Castle Lodge which was a bit of a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review, following your visit to Stobo in September along with three other stressed out Mums!

I will certainly see what we can do to be more proactive regarding the check-out time, especially when your last treatment was scheduled from 12 noon.

Otherwise, I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope we will have the pleasure of your company again some time in the future.

With kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,164)

Reviewed January 2, 2013

In October I booked a festive break for myself and my two daughters for Sunday 23rd December- a gift from my mother and me.
Already excellent value for money at £99, on arrival my daughters were offered an upgrade to a room in the castle for £10 each which was a most welcome start to our stay.
We thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of our visit. The interior of the castle is stunning, enhanced at this time of year by a beautiful Chtristmas tree.The food was excellent, as was the service in the dining room. Special mention must go to Vikki Kerr who is a real asset to Stobo. Thank you Vikki.
We enjoyed the spa facilities. The pool was lovely and warm and has a beautiful outlook over the grounds and surrounding countryside.
Each of us had a treatment. Mine was an Indian head massage which was fabulous. Thank you to Sarah Clark.
It was really nice to chat with other guests. We had a good laugh with a group of them!
The only blip was the fire alarm going off before 6am. As we had only a one night stay, we had looked forward to a relaxing night's sleep, particularly my eldest daughter whose little boy has her up at the crack of dawn most days! The beds were lovely and comfy but being woken suddenly meant we weren't as rested as we had hoped.
All in all it was a fabulous start to the festive season which we shall always remember. It was great to spend time with my lovely daughters in such wonderful surroundings. A big thank you to Nana for her contribution.
Thank you to all the staff who ensured we had a great time. We shall definitely return and thoroughly recommend Stobo to others.

• Stayed: December 2012
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very generous review, following your visit to Stobo before Christmas in the company of both your daughters.

As I said in a previous response, massive apologies for the fire alarms going off at an unearthly hour on Christmas Eve - you should receive a letter in the post in the next couple of days with some compensatory vouchers.

Both Vikki and Sarah were thrilled to get a special mention - they really do epitomise the warm, caring nature of all our staff.

And, a special thank you to Nana for helping to make this visit possible!

With very best wishes,

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Went for an overnight stay to Stobo with my mother and sister just before Christmas and we all had an absolutely amazing time. I had high hopes for the trip as everyone I know who has been to Stobo can not recommend it highly enough; I can safely say this is one of few times my expectations have been surpassed.

On arrival, my sister and I were offered a room upgrade for £10 each, which meant we were still sharing a room but were in the main castle and closer to my mother's room. I appreciate this was probably offered to a number of guests but it was a kind gesture and meant that we were all a bit closer during the stay. The spa is wonderfully relaxing and I had a hot stone massage which was unbelieveable! Money well spent and the beauty therapist was very pleasant and professional.

One of the real highlights of the entire trip was the attentiveness of the staff; we noticed on our payment slips that 15% of your package price was added to your bill as a tip, which is something I do not normally take kindly to as I believe customers are entitled to pay what they see fit on the basis of how well staff perfom. However, the service offered at Stobo really is second to none and all staff members more than earned this contribution. Everyone really went out of their way to look after us and it was very much appreciated. The staff really are a credit to the business.

My only minor gripe was that my sister and I normally have to get up very early for family and work commitments respectively; we were both looking forward to having a relaxing break and not having to rise at the crack of dawn the next morning. Unfortunately, the fire alarm went off at 5.40am which meant we all had to traipse down to reception and wait for the situation to be rectified. Fortunately, it was a false alarm and the staff, again, were extremely courteous and apologetic, however the three of us, as well as many other guests, were unable to get back to sleep which meant we didn't feel our at our best that day. I was surprised that no apology or compensatory gesture was made for this matter occurring, as when I raised the matter with reception I was promptly told that 'these things happen.' I appreciate that this is the case and was something out of the control of staff, however I have had the same thing happen in other hotels in the past and was always offered some way of compensation, be it a free cup of coffee or a discount on the bill. I can't say I wasn't surprised at the reaction this, as Stobo really is a high class establishment and we spent a lot of money between us during our stay. However, a minor disappointment that did not detract from the enjoyment of the facilities.
I would highly recommend Stobo Castle to anyone looking for a relaxing break. Excellent for families and couples, we came across a number of solo guests during our stay and it really is the perfect getaway for all. Thanks to everyone involved in making our stay such a happy one.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments, following your overnight visit to Stobo in the company of your mother just before Christmas.

Huge apologies for the inconvenience you were put to with our fire alarms being activated in the early hours of Christmas Eve - in fact, I have just written to all the guests affected by this false alarm, enclosing a voucher to the value of £25 per person as a gesture of goodwill.

Many thanks also for highlighting the attentiveness of our staff - sorry to be pedantic about this, but the gratuity charge is actually 5% and is entirely discretionary. The scheme was introduced some 12 years ago to address the frequently asked question "how much do we leave the staff?" The resulting "pot" is shared by all the staff (shareholders and directors excluded!) - this ensures that the "back of house" staff, who also perform a vital role, are rewarded as well.

In closing, fire alarms apart, I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope we will have the distinct pleasure of welcoming you all back to Stobo during 2013.

With best wishes,

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Just returned from another wonderful two day stay at this outstanding spa. The staff from reception staff, beauty therapists to handyman are so pleasant and friendly and cannot do enough to make your stay a pleasant one. The dinning room staff are very good but James Leslie and George Cunningham give exceptional service and are so professional.

The food choices are excellent and the quality of the food is outstanding.

The spa facilities are excellent the treatments are great value for money.

We stayed in Castle Lodge. The rooms are very spacious, clean and beautifully decorated.

The only negative thing I can say about Stobo is that the time passes to quickly. I am already planning and looking forward to our next visit.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting such a positive review, following your visit to Stobo last week.

Thank you also for mentioning James and George in "dispatches" - they both are really a credit to our organisation and genuinely enjoy looking after our guests.

I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our menus and, indeed, the whole spa experience.

With best wishes and we all look forward to the pleasure of your company again during the coming year.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Just back from a wonderful three night stay ~ my most recent of many. Everything was up to its usual excellent standard; the accommodation, the service, the food, the treatments and the company. Delighted to see the same Dining Room staff still looking after us and to see that Eleanor was rightly made Employee of the Year. She embodies Stobos' friendliness combined with professionalism. Teresa, the cook, is as wonderful and self deprecating as ever .
Lovely to make new friends as well as meet up with two ladies I met during my visit at the same time last year...
In short the visit took away the stresses of a long school term with two inspections...and has set me up for 2013......

Room Tip: I have only stayed in the castle, where all rooms are perfect..... every convenience but in great st...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Rachel757
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read your comments, particularly in respect of the benefit you derived from your latest visit to Stobo - we do seem to attract quite a number of stressed out teachers during the course of each year!

Mother Teresa is her usual entertaining self - along with our other receptionists, Eleanor truly embodies the spirit of Stobo.

With many thanks, and best wishes for the coming year.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed at STOBO for a second time as a work treat at the end of our busy year - a perfect way to relax and unwind with friends!
Again we found the staff on arrival to be most welcoming and immediately we tucked into our much awaited 5* lunch (especially enjoying the buffet!) The topic of conversation for most of our 2night stay became food as we eagerly anticipated each meal serviced by very friendly staff, some of whom I am told have worked with STOBO for over 20years and still seem to love their job!
We stayed in the deluxe rooms on the first floor in the balcony area of the castle - beautiful. I especially took great pleasure in showing off our little 'turret' dressing room in our seymore suite! There were 8 of us staying and our room had a seating area adaquate for us all.
The spa itself takes your breath away when u first see it - sheer luxury and relaxation. We all thorougly enjoyed 2 treatments and made good use of all the facilities including some classes and a walk of the gardens led by a knowledgable guide and fitness instructor. We were all particularly ticked by our aquafit instructor - lovely man and such fun!
I was alarmed to see that some people had rated STOBO badly on trip advisor so I was curious to read their comments. None of the comments I did read were accurate! To compare STOBO to faulty towers or KFC is just a joke! We were very honoured to meet the owner and his son who were very accomodating gentlemen.
I can't wait until our next visit! Thank you STOBO.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank nivenjulie
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind review, following your visit to Stobo earlier this month.

I have always maintained that Tripadvisor can be a force for good, provided that any feedback is accurate and fair and, most importantly, is balanced. Travel review sites are here to stay - we choose to embrace any commentary whether it be good, bad or indifferent - all with a view to improving standards.

In closing, I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope we will have the distinct pleasure of your company again next year.

With very best wishes,

Reviewed December 18, 2012

My friend and I recently visited Stobo on Monday 3rd of December. This is our second trip in the past 8 months and on both occasions have thoroughly enjoyed our experience however I must say this visit was rather chilly! The pool was too cold to use and i felt that the communal area between the hydro pool and steam rooms was also cold. The one thing both my friend and I were looking forward to was being in the warm pool and looking out over the view outside however on this occasion we couldn't do that.
All other points of our trip were up to the usual Stobo standard, the two treatments we both had were excellent and all staff were extremely polite and friendly however I must say that the waitress in the small dining room went the extra mile as far as customer service is concerned.
The cold pool did put a dampner on things but it won't stop us returning in the new year :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alison A
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

Huge apologies for the pool being on the cold side at the beginning of the month - entirely my fault - I thought the pool had lost a bit of its sparkle and instructed a succession of backwashes which introduced a rather larger volume of cold water than anticipated. It then took a couple of days to reach its optimum temperature.

Hopefully, we can make up for this when you visit in the New Year - our new outdoor hot tub is up and running at a temperature of 40 degrees!

In closing, I was delighted to hear that otherwise our usual high standards prevailed.

With best wishes,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stobo
Peebles Hydro
#2 of 8 in Peebles
Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel
20 mi away
Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club

Been to Stobo Castle? Share your experiences!