“We had a great time”
Review of Stobo Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stobo
Stobo Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stobo
edinburgh
“We had a great time”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

To be honest, I'd nearly been put off by some negative reviews on the internet. I'm very glad that I listened to the more positive reviews here. We stayed in the cashmere suite 15th November. We had a wonderful time, couldn't fault the food, and the room was astounding. Admittedly there were a few minor hiccups with the room but the staff were incredibly helpful, and due mainly to their efforts I'm certainly not deterred from returning. The facilities were excellent, easily on a par with other Scottish establishments. We had a wonderful break, and we'll be sure to return.

Room Tip: The cashmere suite is a perfect room for a special occasion. It might be a little pricey for a weeke...
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience of staying in the Cashmere Suite - it really is the ideal venue for a celebration, helped of course by the tradition of providing a nice bottle of Bollinger with our compliments on arrival!

I was delighted to hear that you are proposing to return to Stobo when we will have the distinct pleasure of your company again.

With kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

I have just returned from an autumn indulgence break staying in the castle lodge as all the other rooms fully booked. . Slightly worried when I first saw the exterior however the interior was comfortable though in need of a few repairs. Our valance was torn and the wallpaper was worn behind the bedside tables. All very minor gripes but do need some attention.
On our first afternoon again I was worried as the spa was very busy . However the pool and steam rooms started to empty about 5ish I presume when the day guests left . the pool was amazing as was the jacuzzi and water jets which were as good as a massage .the fluffy robes endless supplies of toiletries and towels were an added bonus. The next morning I was lucky enough to have the whole spa to myself when I chose to skip breakfast ....heaven . My free treatment which was a hand rejuvenation was pleasant but very quick over in what seemed like minutes.
The meals with the exception of one starter were very good value for money . Staff coped well with the number of guests staying and I liked the fact there were 3 dining rooms rather than one large one .
The main communal areas were very pleasant I did love the olive tree with the lanterns . The drawing room is cosy and the fruit is a nice touch but I'm not sure how long it sits out for a bit too open to contamination for my liking . A bit of a disaster with cocktails the cocktail stirrers hadn't been checked and two of us had what appeared to be hairs in ours but it was plastic fibres from the stirrers .not much of an apology offered and no clear communication regarding non payment however they had been deducted from the bill .
Walking from castle lodge to the castle is fine if dry however we did get cold and wet walking over to the spa on one occasion so pay the extra and stay warm and dry.
Very good value however for the special autumn indulgence offer.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank rachael b
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

It was most kind of you to highlight the value for money that you received within the terms of our Autumn Indulgence - especially so in Castle Lodge, however there is no excuse for any lapse in decorative standards and I apologise unreservedly for this and the issue with your cocktail stirrers.

With many thanks,
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I am just home this evening after my 4th double overnight visit to stobo this year! I am back again in 21 days and cant wait. 5 times in a year is just not enough for me!
I find all the staff amazing, but sad to find that one of the dining room staff have left, I have seen Mr Winyard on 2 occasions and he always has time to say hello, which is nice. Thank you to Stobo for making my visits there so relaxing, And please can i have a loyalty pass for staying so often! :)

Room Tip: I have stayed in the Lodge, the Traquair room and this trip i was in Spencer. Frank wasnt there! al...
1 Thank SamanthaSelbie
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words, following your latest visit to Stobo this year - it is always a pleasure to meet up with past guests. On the subject of a much deserved loyalty pass, I have today sent you an email!

All the staff join me in looking forward to your visit next month.

With best wishes,
arran
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The welcome was excellent, starting with a tour of the facilities, we were then shown to our single rooms , which were small, but we were told this at time of booking but otherwise good. All the meals and service were excellent, nothing seemed to be too much trouble. I enjoyed my treatments in the spa, which was a special treat as I had recently lost a lot of weight and this was my reward, which was worth every penny. The only small complaint I have was that the coffee was awful in the coffee shop and the restaurant every-time we had coffee.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to post such a favourable review, following your recent visit to Stobo.

I'm sorry our coffee wasn't to your liking - I know this can be a subjective issue - for the record, we use Matthew Algie's "Darwin" freshly roasted coffee beans which seem to be well received after meals and in the Coffee & Fruit Juice Bar. I will certainly make a point of canvassing other guests' opinion in the light of your comments!

With kind regards,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My girlfriend and I have just returned today after spending 2 wonderful days relaxing at Stobo Castle, and relaxation was achieved, and thoroughly enjoyed.

I will start with all the negatives.... ALL two of them, one of which was my fault..... We could not get any additional treatments (my fault) as I booked the 2 day package only two days ahead.... Which brings me to the only "slight" negative, which was the shower / bath in the room wasn't that warm!! Not exactly anything to complain about, but I can't have the review seeming as if I work for Stobo, although if it comes with a room / treatments, I may be tempted to change from my current employer!

Now onto the positive bits, and I cannot write about them all, as I want to go out tonight in my new relaxed state....

The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming at all times, the facilities were great, and the food which was included in our package was also top notch.

We have stayed at many hotels all over the world, and We do enjoy five star living where possible.... And this establishment compares and exceeded the likes of Mar Hall, who do not give the personal touch and class of this establishment.

I can only compliment the staff, location, facilities as they were all superb.

In particular, the receptionist Claire was absolutely fantastic and extremely attentive. But again, all staff were extremely helpful and accommodating.

Thank you so much for a wonderful experience, we will be back very soon....

P.S. washing the car for us was a lovely touch as well...

Room Tip: Castle lodge room was all that was available, although I would've booked a suite originally...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kindness in posting such a positive review of your recent experience at Stobo in the company of your partner.

Also, for mentioning Claire in "dispatches" - along with all our other staff. She really cares about the welfare and comfort of our guests.

We look forward to the distinct pleasure of welcoming you both back to Stobo next year.

With kind wishes,
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Just home from a two night stay in the Park Lodge, this is lovely accommodation with separate sitting/ kitchen facilities . What a lovely time myself and 2 sister- in -laws had, i cannot fault anything. We arrived early for lunch on our first day and would recommend this to everyone!! I enjoyed lovely food, drink, accomodation and pampering throughout my stay. I would definetly recommend the Autumn Indulgence stay. Cannot wait for my return trip which we all agree will be at least a yearly occurance!

Room Tip: Try and get Park Lodge or if you can afford it the Cashmere suite!!!
Dear Guest,

It was very generous of you to comment in such favourable terms about your recent stay in Park Lodge and I was delighted to hear how much you and your family enjoyed your time with us.

With many thanks and we hope to have the pleasure of your company again next year.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Room was ok, however neighbors on floor below was having a party, we had to complain about loud music 3 times! It seems like they don't have any sound isolation at all!
Tiles broken in the main swimming pool and only one shared sauna!!! The rest hidden in ladies changing room, so my boyfriend was bored to tiers. You would think people come for romantic weekends, not to spend time apart.
Treatment was good - but it wasn't what we ordered!!! After traveling there for a few hours we expected to get body wrap, exfoliation and massage instead we got only full body massage, as there was a mix-up with bookings.
Staff was friendly, but the employ of the year, who was at the desk when we were checking-out did not bother to ask how was your stay.
Weekend there cost the same as week in Spain's 5 star hotel! So after all - never again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Belekokia
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, following your visit to Stobo in September - it is always a bit difficult to investigate a concern some two months after the event - the "broken tiles" you referred to were in fact a very small number of mosaic tiles that had been lifted off the bottom of the pool, subsequently reinstated by a team of sub-aqua divers overnight. As you will have seen elsewhere, there has been a succession of favourable reports by different couples who have seemingly enjoyed quality time together at Stobo.

No disrespect, but maybe there were other issues that contributed to your boyfriend's acute sense of boredom.

In closing, I fully respect your decision not to return to Stobo.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stobo
Peebles Hydro
Princes Street and Gardens
The Balmoral Hotel
The Balmoral Hotel
#11 of 149 in Edinburgh

Been to Stobo Castle? Share your experiences!