“Too pricey for what it is.”
Review of Stobo Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stobo
Stobo Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stobo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Too pricey for what it is.”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Castle looks beautiful on approach- the building and the grounds are gorgeous. On arrival we were given a quick tour and shown to our rooms which were average (I expected opulance- but they were clean and spacious) but did have very large beds for a twin room. The relaxing, coffee area where you wait for your therpist to collect you from is top class. My massage was spectacular (girl called Lisa) but one of our group said hers was very poor, so perhaps a bit hit and miss on the treatment front. Dinner was poor (warm food (in one case only luke warm) on cold plates). One of my party had serious allergies- her requirements were made very clear but her food had to be sent back to the kitchen twice. After dinner, we had coffee in the drawing room which is a very relaxing space.

Slept well.

Breakfast was good- hot and cold buffet.

Walked around Japanese water garden- gorgeous area.

Lunch was very bad. During the tour on arrival, we were advised that we could arrive at anytime during the lunch service and there would be a table for us- no need to book.... There was no table, we had to wait and then when we ordered, 2 of the 5 dishes weren't available anymore. We were rushed through our meal, so much so, that they started clearing our plates whilst one of our party was still eating. They topped that off by giving us the dessert menu whilst that person was still eating saying 'I'll just leave that for you'!
The waiting staff were far too subserviant- uncomfortably so. Apologising 3 or 4 times for reaching to poor your water but didn't bat an eyelid at rushing my friend.

At nearly £1000 for 4 people for 1 night, I expected more. They need better bedrooms and completely different waiting staff.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank sausageface82
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent visit to Stobo.

From the outset, I would like to apologise unreservedly for the lapse in standards at lunchtime - also, for the lack of sensitivity shown by our waiting staff in respect of rushing your friend.

Value for money is always going to be a subjective issue - I'm not sure which grade of room you were staying in but a guest can stay overnight from £125 on our Autumn Indulgence Spa Break - this includes a three-course dinner on arrival, full breakfast the next morning followed by a three course lunch prior to departure. A 25 minute spa treatment is also included along with free access to all our aqua and fitness classes.

I am truly sorry we let you down on this occasion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My best friend and I returned to Stobo for our annual 2 night stay this weekend and found it to be even better than ever. We have seen many changes over our 20 years of visiting and can truly say that this time it was FANTASTIC. We each had three treatments and can especially recommend the Darphin facials. We attended two of Rose's fitness classes and really value her friendly, knowlegeable and calm approach; try her dance of the dragon class to emerge with a new sense tranquility!
As ever, the food was top-class and made even better by the well-trained, helpful and pleasant staff in evidence in all areas of the hotel, from Stephen the owner to the cleaners, all of whom pay their part to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
We have already booked for our return trip next year .........thats a vote of confidence in a wonderful establishment.

Room Tip: We find the standard rooms abover the spa reception great.
1 Thank jane s
Dear Guest,

Many, many thanks for your vote of confidence in Stobo - I will certainly make a point of drawing Rose's attention to your very kind comments and indeed to our other staff who are so committed to the welfare and comfort of our guests.

With best wishes,
Reviewed November 10, 2012

My sister and I stayed here last December in between Christmas and New Year and enjoyed it so much have booked again for the same time this year. The setting is stunning and rooms lovely. We are both working mums and enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere stobo offers after the hectic run up to Christmas! The food was great and we really enjoyed the cooking demonstration in the evening. The spa facilities are excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed our treatments. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. I think we will now be making it a tradition to visit at Christmas time!
Jane Connelly

Stayed December 2011
Dear Guest,

Just a brief note to thank you for highlighting the attraction of visiting Stobo over the Festive season.

Last year, we had the most amazing tree (some 32 feet in height) in our main hall - we'll see if we can go one foot better this year!

Looking forward to your visit next month.

With kind regards,
edinburgh
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have just returned from Stobo after an annual visit with three friends, our seventh visit, which speaks for it'self. Absolutely fantastic. First class for cleanliness and decor. Staff are attentive, professional, mannerly and polite. The setting is absolutely stunning. The food was faultless. Our room in the Castle Lodge was immaculate. The spa facilities were superb. The swimming pool is by far the most beautiful I have ever experienced. Superb break and booked again for next year when we checked out.

2 Thank jean m
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for commenting in such favourable terms on the latest of your seven visits to Stobo!

Despite the recession, we continue to invest heavily in our facilities and in the training of our staff.

With many thanks for your support and we all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to Stobo next year.
Burntisland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

On Saturday 3rd November 2012, I, along with 13 other mums arrived at Stobo Castle looking forward very much to a relaxing stay. The hotel itself was lovely, with good food and service in the dining area.
Unfortunately the overall experience was completely ruined by the behaviour of the owner of the resort. As a result of an error by the porter and reception staff, our taxi driver put luggage that did not belong to our group into our mini bus. Hotel staff, after realising the error denied all responsibility for it and insisted that we bring the cases back immediately. We were more than half way home by the time they contacted us so we asked the staff if they could meet us half way to collect the luggage as it was their error that resulted in them being on our bus but they refused to do so.
Because of the staff refusal we had to turn around and make another 40 minute journey back. Little did we expect that having made this goodwill gesture to return luggage that was incorrectly placed beside our luggage that our taxi driver would be accused of stealing it! As soon as we stepped foot in the hotel door the driver along with the organiser of our weekend away were subjected to an unwarranted torrent of abuse and aggressive behaviour from the owner of the hotel. His behaviour thoroughly ruined what should have been an enjoyable weekend for a group of mums who spent a considerable sum of money for the pleasure of staying at a so called 5 star resort.
I will never return to this establishment and nor will I recommend it to any family or friends.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
25 Thank Linsey D
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, following your visit to Stobo last weekend.

At the risk of repeating myself, I would respectfully draw your attention to the earlier responses I posted to similar comments made by other members of your party.

For the record, we employ around 180 good, decent people who are totally committed to the comfort and welfare of our guests. Indeed, it is a privilege to work alongside them and I am incredibly proud of their contribution to our success. To suggest that anyone working here would engage in some form of cover-up is an insult to their integrity.

As an organisation, we have a deep sense of social responsibility. It is only through the efforts of our staff that we are in a position to support over 120 different charities and deserving causes in Scotland each year. It is their efforts that make such a difference to the quality of life for the less fortunate in our society.

As I stated before, it is a matter of enormous regret that such an enjoyable stay should be marred by all this controversy.
Aberdeen
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have just returned from 4 nights at Stobo Castle and were very surprised to read GemhamScotland's negative comments and cannot believe that they had such an unpleasant experience.
We have been visiting Stobo several times a year for 23 years and Stephen Winyard, his wife and family and all his staff have always been kind, helpful, courteous and charming. Every single one of our nearly 60 visits have been happy and relaxing.
These ladies' comments bear no resemblance to the Stobo we know so well and appreciate so much.
Anney and Janet, Aberdeen

4 Thank AnneyAberdeen
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Anney & Janet,

First of all, thank you for your support and vote of confidence.

I, in turn, have absolute confidence in the integrity of our staff. I think you know me well enough that I would never betray their trust in me for the sake of expediency and short-term gain.

I do hope your journey back to Aberdeen wasn't compromised by the recent derailment, and we will once again have the distinct pleasure of welcoming you both back to Stobo for yet another visit next year.

With warm regards,
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My self and friends arrived for a child free fun girly weekend! What every girl dreams of a spa weekend! Altho facilliaties were gorgeous with beautiful surroundings the staff on reception and owner himself were so arogant rude and agressive i will not be back and hope others dont return! Due to a complaint we made the owner was so outragious with shouting and finger pointing trying to get a bad reaction from us provoking us we walked away being told not to return! Customer service is a 0 percent! Very very disapointed! Also they advise you not to pay by cash and put everything on your room card and everything you put on card even from gift shop gets charged so basically what i paid in gift shop i had to pay in the end double!

• Stayed November 2012
8 Thank Laurenandrews
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

I think any fair-minded third party reading your review, following similar comments posted by at least four other members of your party, will recognise that this is a sustained campaign to discredit this organisation.

I would respectfully draw any readers' attention to the responses I have already made.

Again, the credibility of your account is at risk when you state quite erroneously that purchases made in the gift shop are charged twice if put on your bill. As I have said before, Stobo is run with the utmost integrity and any suggestion otherwise is deeply insulting.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stobo
Peebles Hydro
Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
The Park
The Park
#6 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Stobo Castle? Share your experiences!