“Nice break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eddleston
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice break”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed as a couple for a couple of nights. I wouldn't describe our room as superior with a very hard and uncomfortable 'small four poster' bed. Dinner allowance was included at £23 per person. We had a t bone steak and mixed grill, ordinary bottle of wine and one sweet. The steak was £33 for just a steak and six chunky chips. So our bill for dinner cost £38 on top of our allowance which was really overpriced. Had it been worthy of the price it wouldn't matter, but that meant that the bill would have been just under £90 for a very average pub type grub.
Staff were great all through, breakfast fine, walks lovely. Hotel rooms from what I could see we're tired and perhaps in need of a lick f paint.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear smh111

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating the matters you have raised accordingly.

Jamie Mackie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Scotland
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We purchased an 'itison' voucher for an overnight stay with Spa access, dinner and breakfast for a very reasonable price. No real complaints about the hotel, it was certainly worth the price we paid, it's a good 3 star hotel. Old fashioned key doors not swipe entry but this is no problem. We used the spa area which was great although on the small side, 10 people would probably make it feel crowded. The changing areas could have been a little cleaner. It's really the grounds of the hotel that have pushed it up from a 3/5 to a 4/5. They are simply beautiful, you could spend quite a while just wondering around. I think I may have read somewhere that you can hire bikes from the hotel. We also used the hotel restaurant which was average, it was very busy and service was pretty slow although again for the price we paid it was worth it. We were also in now hurry. Breakfast has lots of options to choose from but the quality of the cooked breakfast was poor.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear toni_7989,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to [hotel name]. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the restaurant, which we have since addressed.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Have given rating of three but feel it could have been lower, staff are friendly and helpful, no problems checking in and out in fact on e-mail it said check in and check out was 12.00, had meal in resturant which was very good with very good service as was breakfast. Hotel is in lovely location and has nice grounds if you want to have a stroll. What lets the hotel down is that it looks tired with respect to paintwork and carpets , also pool area was in need of a good clean , no one at leisure club reception to ask any questions. Have paid less for other 4 star hotels

Dear Alex F,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Barony Castle. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about having paid more for other four star hotels. I feel I should bring to your attention that we are in fact a three star property. I appreciate that some areas of the hotel are looking a little tired, and am pleased to tell you that we have recently started a rolling refurbishment project.

Montrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

After reading all the awful reviews about this hotel I wasn't looking forward to staying here. I booked this for a long weekend for my partners 40th birthday and I was pleasantly surprised on how great the place was. The staff at the front desk were friendly and were always willing to help. The room was just what I was expecting, it overlooked the gardens at the back, lots of space and very clean. There were weddings on both Friday and Saturday when we were there which was lovely to see. Didn't hear any noise from the celebrations at all and everyone was very friendly. Food at The Blue Dug was very good. The service was even better, especially the young lad that served us. His manners were perfect and very professional. Only thing I would say I wasn't happy about was why my drinks bill was different from the restaurant and the bar. Mixed berry cider was £3.40 in the restaurant and £5.15 in the bar?? I put this down to there being a wedding on but still that shouldn't of made any difference.
Room was cleaned, fresh towels the second day we were there so no fault on that one. Went for a swim both days we were there. Nice and quiet with a few people popping in and out. Jacuzzi wasn't working on the Friday but that didn't bother us. Like the comment before there was too much chlorine as I was suffering for hours after we got out with stingy eyes.
All in all the stay was great and we will be back at a later date.
Little bit of advice for the people reading this. Remember this is an old building it does have dodgy floorboards, it is an old building with a lot of history. Remember to make it your own, be patient and don't worry about what other people write in here like I did. I was over the moon with everything the hotel had to offer.

Dear Joy B,

Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

On arrival at Barony Castle, you can instantly feel why people come here to relax. The surroundings are fantastic. On entering the hotel itself, you instantly feel calm and welcomed by the staff at the reception desk. We had a trainee serve us who did a fab job even though he had to ask a few questions which is understandable. We had to wait while our room was being made up which as much as it was a bit of an inconvenience it was a chance to grab a drink in the lounge and rest after the car journey. On arriving in our room we were surprised at how much space there was and it was very nice. Welcoming, clean and tidy with all the mod cons you would expect in a decent hotel. The bathroom had a bath/shower and was also very clean and tidy. My only moan was the lack of TV channels and the dreadful teabags but that's all down to taste I suppose! LOL
The facilities were great, a really nice sized pool with Jacuzzi/whirlpool, heated loungers, experience showers and sauna. The changing rooms again were clean and tidy and added to the relaxed atmosphere of the hotel. I didn't get a chance to try the Spa but it looked lovely and I'll definitely give it a go next time.
The dining restaurant (The blue dug) was also lovely. The food was fantastic, so much so we ended up dining there both nights when we had planned to head out elsewhere! A few minor staff issues the second night (not being asked if we wanted a drink then having to wait a wile after we ordered one, forgetting cutlery etc.) but nothing that would require taking it any further or complaining about it!
Overall; the staff, food, facilities and look of the hotel are fab and I will definitely return to Barony Castle...hopefully in the near future! x

Room Tip: As far as I could see/here the hotel is quiet throughout and we had no trouble with noise...apart fr...