“Overnight stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eddleston
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Overnight stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Have given rating of three but feel it could have been lower, staff are friendly and helpful, no problems checking in and out in fact on e-mail it said check in and check out was 12.00, had meal in resturant which was very good with very good service as was breakfast. Hotel is in lovely location and has nice grounds if you want to have a stroll. What lets the hotel down is that it looks tired with respect to paintwork and carpets , also pool area was in need of a good clean , no one at leisure club reception to ask any questions. Have paid less for other 4 star hotels

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Alex F,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Barony Castle. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about having paid more for other four star hotels. I feel I should bring to your attention that we are in fact a three star property. I appreciate that some areas of the hotel are looking a little tired, and am pleased to tell you that we have recently started a rolling refurbishment project.

Jamie Mackie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Montrose, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

After reading all the awful reviews about this hotel I wasn't looking forward to staying here. I booked this for a long weekend for my partners 40th birthday and I was pleasantly surprised on how great the place was. The staff at the front desk were friendly and were always willing to help. The room was just what I was expecting, it overlooked the gardens at the back, lots of space and very clean. There were weddings on both Friday and Saturday when we were there which was lovely to see. Didn't hear any noise from the celebrations at all and everyone was very friendly. Food at The Blue Dug was very good. The service was even better, especially the young lad that served us. His manners were perfect and very professional. Only thing I would say I wasn't happy about was why my drinks bill was different from the restaurant and the bar. Mixed berry cider was £3.40 in the restaurant and £5.15 in the bar?? I put this down to there being a wedding on but still that shouldn't of made any difference.
Room was cleaned, fresh towels the second day we were there so no fault on that one. Went for a swim both days we were there. Nice and quiet with a few people popping in and out. Jacuzzi wasn't working on the Friday but that didn't bother us. Like the comment before there was too much chlorine as I was suffering for hours after we got out with stingy eyes.
All in all the stay was great and we will be back at a later date.
Little bit of advice for the people reading this. Remember this is an old building it does have dodgy floorboards, it is an old building with a lot of history. Remember to make it your own, be patient and don't worry about what other people write in here like I did. I was over the moon with everything the hotel had to offer.

Dear Joy B,

Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

On arrival at Barony Castle, you can instantly feel why people come here to relax. The surroundings are fantastic. On entering the hotel itself, you instantly feel calm and welcomed by the staff at the reception desk. We had a trainee serve us who did a fab job even though he had to ask a few questions which is understandable. We had to wait while our room was being made up which as much as it was a bit of an inconvenience it was a chance to grab a drink in the lounge and rest after the car journey. On arriving in our room we were surprised at how much space there was and it was very nice. Welcoming, clean and tidy with all the mod cons you would expect in a decent hotel. The bathroom had a bath/shower and was also very clean and tidy. My only moan was the lack of TV channels and the dreadful teabags but that's all down to taste I suppose! LOL
The facilities were great, a really nice sized pool with Jacuzzi/whirlpool, heated loungers, experience showers and sauna. The changing rooms again were clean and tidy and added to the relaxed atmosphere of the hotel. I didn't get a chance to try the Spa but it looked lovely and I'll definitely give it a go next time.
The dining restaurant (The blue dug) was also lovely. The food was fantastic, so much so we ended up dining there both nights when we had planned to head out elsewhere! A few minor staff issues the second night (not being asked if we wanted a drink then having to wait a wile after we ordered one, forgetting cutlery etc.) but nothing that would require taking it any further or complaining about it!
Overall; the staff, food, facilities and look of the hotel are fab and I will definitely return to Barony Castle...hopefully in the near future! x

Room Tip: As far as I could see/here the hotel is quiet throughout and we had no trouble with noise...apart fr...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Stacey J,

Best Regards

Carluke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I am writing this review as i read all the others before i went.
when we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by very attentive, helpful, pleasent friendly staff who made sure the check in was quick and without a hitch. Room was a walk from the lift, but we used the stairs each time and to be honest it was nice walking along the corridors looking at the art etc that was hanging and seeing the charm of the old property. we had a view of the car park, but we didnt hear any noise at all during our stay.
went for a swim and although the pool was busy and three strokes and you are across the pool, there was a nice jacuzzi in the corner. only complaint was maybe there was too much chlorine in the pool as eyes were stinging. had to ask for the sauna to be put on by walking to the gym and calling, but when it was switched on we were informed by the staff that it was done and it was done withing 5 mins of asking. then the pool quietened as everyone used the sauna. there are some lovel heated seats too so a nice experiance. only 1 shower in changing room meant there could be a wait but it was quiet so i had the changing room to myself so no complaints there either.
Dinner was lovely. nice choice as we had booked on a DB&B rate and we left totally stuffed and staff there were friendly and attentive. what i really liked was the restaurant was split level so families were seated on the top level and couples were seated on the bottom level which meant it was quiet and relaxing atmosphere.
breakfast was a buffet which had a choice of pastries, cereal, fruit juice, porridge, hot food etc and i ate enough although there was a bit of a wait for tea and coffee but once the waitress came in we were all looked after.
we had booked a massage in the spa and it was relaxing and well worth it.
its a three star hotel and i left not disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jooly c
Dear jooly c,

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully!

Glasgow, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

We have travelled widely and used Accor hotels over much of Europe but this hotel should learn lessons from some of its sister hotels elsewhere. An overnight stay with full DB&B for two people was booked (at the full rate). We were told that check-in could be any time after midday and we stated that we would arrive at 3pm which we duly did. On arrival, it was very busy and we queued in reception for about fifteen minutes to learn that our room was not ready. Apparently guests staying at a function the previous evening had checked-out late. OK but this is a hotel management issue that is of no interest to guests waiting to be accommodated.
We were told to wait in the lounge bar until a room was available when we would be advised, There were big queues here and insufficient staff serving - so more hanging around! Eventually, one hour after arrival,we asked again at reception if our room was ready and we were then asked if we had completed the check-in documentation. We had, and they could not locate it at first but it was subsequently found and a room assigned.
The small family room with 1 double and 1 single bed was OK - it was clean and tidy but with only one ordinary chair in the room it was a case of tossing a coin to see who sits down first!
There was a total lack of hotel information in the room, only a book containing Scottish Borders attraction details. When we asked at reception what time dinner was served we were told that the earliest time we could be taken was at 9pm. Another guest with a young family was given the same dining option and after complaint was told that 6pm was the only alternative. We agreed to this as well.
Dining room staff were excellent and food was superb and arrived very quickly!
When we tried to buy a small bottle of still water at the bar to take to our room as no water was supplied in the room we were told that they had NONE!!!
Really? In a 4-star hotel?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jay_and_Kay6
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Jay_and_Kay6

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to [hotel name]. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the lack of bottled water, this is something we do not supply as we are a 3 star property.

Alloa, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Had a lovely stay at the Mercure Barony Castle. Check in was to be 14:00 although we showed up after 15:00 our room was still not ready, we went into the bar and the barman asked if we had checked in ok and when I said we were waiting on the room he offered our drinks for free which was good. I paid for an upgraded room which in the end wasn't worth it at all, I was expecting perhaps a slightly bigger room but it only seemed to be a Nespresso machine and two free bottles of water in a fridge that you received so not really worth it, also we never had a remote control for the tv which wasn't great. The room appeared clean and tidy with the addition of an empty complimentary Mercure shower gel left in the bathroom. After settling in we wondered about booking a spa appointment for my girlfriends birthday but this couldn't be done as reception couldn't do this and no one was on the spa reception. We decided to go for a swim instead but this led to a nuisance as well as no one was on spa reception we never had the number code to get in the pool after finding out once fully changed and ready to swim, luckily someone else went back and asked for this. Once in the pool it would be nice to use the full and extensive facilities including the sauna, although a sign is up saying contact reception from the gym phone (which means going back out and down the corridor to contact) and yet it still was never turned on after 30 mins of someone asking, by the time we left it was still not on. The dinning was lovely although I had to wait 20 mins on one drink! The food was fantastic I must say! Not a bad hotel but yet not a great hotel. Must add that they have the noisiest floor boards on the halls, very annoying but understandable for the age of the property.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade unless you like posh coffee! Even at that still not worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Liam M

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit Barony Castle I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your additional comments which we are currently addressing.

Jamie Mackie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eddleston
Peebles Hydro
#1 of 2 in St. Boswells
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#3 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!