“So peaceful.... an amazing trip”

Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eddleston
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have stayed there twice in the last few months. One to celebrate an engagement and the other for a birthday treat. Staff are so friendly, especially at reception. So much so we had a complimentary upgrade following our second visit which totally took us by surprise, but one which made my birthday even more magnificent. The rooms on both trips were spotlessly clean and a special mention the hotel cleaners for doing such a wonderful job of the rooms and being so friendly, attentive and helpful when required. Nice to be able to share a joke with them. Hotel is only a few minutes drive from Peebles and I cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Executive double room for space. Or Eddleston suite is a must for any stay. pics to follow
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank glasgow2006
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Glasgow2006,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind feedback on tripadvisor. I was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed both of your stays with us, I hope I get the opportunity to meet with you on your next visit.

Best regards

Jamie Mackie

Write a ReviewReviews (1,719)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night. On arrival we were pleased with what we saw and the service we received from reception. Staff were friendly and breakfast was good. However the let down was the room(125).
First noticeable thing was that the room was cold.The radiator was on low which we turned up, but the ill fitting sash window let a cold draught in, causing the blind to flap away from the frame in the style of some horror movie.. The second and more troublesome issue was the noise from the kitchen extractor fans immediately below the room.These gave the same effect as sitting over the wing of a Boeing 747 as it hurtled along the runway for takeoff! When we called reception they did not offer a room swap but advised that the fans would shut off at 10pm when the kitchen staff left. At 10:30 pm they finally went off. This wasn't an issue and so I chose not to argue about a change of room. What the helpful man on reception omitted to tell us was that they would be switched back on at 7 am! No need for an alarm clock and no chance of a leisurely weekend lie in!
And not so much as a sorry when i raised it on check out.
My advice to you if planning a stay here is avoid rooms 124,125,126 and any others on this corridor unless you are planning to be up and away at 7am.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms along the same corridor as room 125 as these are over hte kitchens and very noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Adam R,

Thank you for your review following your stay at Barony Castle. We have robust systems in place, but from time to time things can go wrong. Your feedback has highlighted a key issue which will be addressed accordingly.

Best regards

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed here in a family room for 1 night as part of a large church party. We were all really impressed by the hotel - staff were very friendly and keen to do whatever they could to help. The food was consistently of a high quality, and the rooms clean and comfortable. we were really impressed by the way in which the hotel even managed to open the pool for us on the Saturday so that the many kids in our party could enjoy a good splash around. When the renovation is finished, it is going to be a really lovely facility. In all, really good value and service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear paulandeliz,

Warm regards

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Given keys to room on arrival, after some confusion about where the key actually was!! Got to room to find someone else already in the room. (if that had been my room and I had lost my laptop and valuables because my room key had been given to someone else, I would have been less than happy!!!).
Then given another room, very small, very noisy as all smokers go out the front to have a fag and muck around. Smoke detector hanging off ceiling by it's wires.

food good

drinks not too expensive for a hotel.

nice location

staff friendly

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear stuartporky,

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have no hesitation recommending "Mercure Barony Castle" I thoroughly enjoyed my one night stay. I felt relaxed after my stay, so much so, I have booked a further 2 stays at this excellent hotel since staying there on the 4th March.

From check-in to check-out the total experience was flawless and very professional, welcoming and friendly. The team are exceptionally polite, helpful and are well worthy of a special mention.

The secluded location is spectacular with the border towns of Peebles, Galashiels, Selkirk and Hawick all being a short drive away.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank mshawLondon

Dear mshawLondon,

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Booked a few weeks ago for overnight stay at Barony Castle. Beautiful surroundings, but Hotel undergoing some essential renovation. Our booking was for one night this week. The advertised Spa was of particular interest to us but we were really disappointed to find Spa is presently being refurbished. We were not informed of this at the time of booking.This information should have been given to prospective guests. The lift was not working which for us was quite a problem, although staff were very attentive in offering to help with luggage etc. Bedroom was very nice with tea/coffee facilities etc.,and lovely towels. It was very clean and warm with superior bed-linen.
We found all staff to be of exceptionally highly calibre - extremely attentive and courteous,( and hope management appreciate this!) Some of them seem to work very long hours.
In summarising, this is a Hotel which has fairly recently changed ownership. There is much requiring upgrading (e.g.the lift) It might have been better to have some of these upgradings in place before going public. Outstanding staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank retrieversEdinburgh

Dear retrieversEdinburgh,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on tripadvisor.I was sorry to hear that you had been affected by the leisure refurbishment during your visit. Should you wish to come back in the future, please contact Stephanie Morgan, our Front of House manager on smorgan@baronycastle.com who would be delighted to help you and make sure your stay with us is memorable for all of the right reasons.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here just the one night and how I wish it could have been for longer! I was a bit upset to learn from TA that the pool would be out of use during our stay - but wasn't upset when I saw our room - the bath in the Tweedale Suite more than made up for the lack of pool - it was brilliant and I can see why this suite used to be the bridal suite.

All of the staff that we encounted, couldn't do enough for their guests, nothing was too much trouble including lending a non smoker a light to light the candles that surround the huge bath in the Tweedale Suite :)

We didn't eat in the hotel as had read how good the local Inn was but when we return to the Barony - which I am certain that we will - we will book ourselves a table at the hotel as the menu looked very good.

All in all we had a brilliant night - huge thanks to all at the Barony

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank outoftowngirl56

Dear outoftowngirl56,

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully!

Jamie Mackie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Eddleston
Peebles Hydro
#1 of 1 in Bonnyrigg
Traquair Arms Hotel
Traquair Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Innerleithen

Been to Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!