“Great location, facilities and food but bedrooms need upgrading”

Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eddleston
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Beautiful location in the Borders hills and close to Peebles. At a 2 day seminar - conference facilities are excellent. There is a pool and a gym (which I didn't use). Staff were very pleasant and helpful (especially the waitress in the restaurant). Food was excellent. Area that needs attention is the bedrooms. I was in a very small room (221) which had a rather uncomfortable bed (much too hard), problematic Wifi reception, tired decor and bathroom which needs upgrading. Heard similar stories from others in my group. If they get the bedrooms rights, they'll have close to a perfect venue.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Andrew40,

Thank you for leaving your feedback relating to your recent stay here at Barony Castle.

I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m sure you will be pleased to hear that the hotel bedrooms are currently going through a soft refurbishment which started with our new beds being delivered mid-December.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Barony Castle.

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed at Barony Castle for a wedding. This is the second time I have stayed and was still surprised at how beautiful it is. Gorgeous setting and great first impression of the cheerful, helpful reception staff. Room was fine, only down points were the shower kept facing the wall so had to hold it in place or it went everywhere and you could hear everyone walking about the hall. Didn't put us off though, had a lovely stay!

The hall where the reception took place was gorgeous! Plenty space for everyone. Breakfast the following morning was very nice but family members did have to wait about 20-30 minutes on poached eggs, would have been nice if they kept up updated (we thought we had been forgotten about)

I would definatley stay here again and would recomment to family/friends. Would be beautiful in winter!

Dear Lyndsay1989,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback of your second stay here at Barony Castle.

I was pleased to learn that you had enjoyed your stay in our beautiful setting. I have informed the head chef of your families wait for poached eggs, and he has taken this feedback on board.

Thanks again for your kind words,

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Anyone who loves peace and a good walk then this is a great place, hire a car and you can be in the centre of Edinburgh in 35 mins, lovely location,great staff, peaceful break.Restaurant average (nice and clean and reasonable food)
Breakfast was great with a super selection.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Whit61,

Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in our bar and restaurant area and found our staff to be welcoming and friendly.

Should you wish to book again, please feel free to contact the hotel directly.

Many thanks,

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just got back from a cheap break which i found on travel zoo,two nights, dinner on one night breackfast on both days and lunch at Mercure on Princess Street all for £99. Expectations were low due to cost but i can say the hotel exceeded all expectations ,the staff were excellent the food was excellent and all in all an excellent break.I would definatly recommend this hotel on all counts.

Room Tip: Worthwhile upgrading to a privlege room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Hotspot097,

Thank you for leaving such a lovely review. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. If you liked our privileged rooms, why not try a junior suite on your next stay? Please feel free to contact the hotel directly next time you would like to stay.

Many thanks,

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Firstly, really would be three and half if I could rate it like that but was feeling generous. We had a very nice stay on a deal via Classic Britain and was excellent value for money, no arguments there.

On arrival it's very strange there is no big sign from the main road to help you find the turn off, but the drive up to the hotel is nice and it's a lovely building.

The public areas are great and seemed freshly refurbished, the bar and restaurant surroundings are nice, comfortable and modern. You can easily while away a few hours relaxing in the bar area (as I did).

The bedroom we had was a little more dated. Clean enough and comfortable but could do with a bit of a refresh. We found the bed a little uncomfortable as well and we both woke up each morning with a slightly achy back. We also asked for an accessible room as we had a baby and a dog but ended up down several corridors and up and down several sets of stairs. Great, however, they allow dogs without a surcharge and the baby was made more than welcome in all the public areas.

The restaurant needs to improve. While the surroundings are nice the food, although presented in a posh way, is nothing better than average, ok but average. An example of this was a steak I ordered medium and which turned up on the well done side of well done! Fairly basic cooking I would have thought, I was offered a new one but could not be bothered waiting. Also the service on the second night was poor with one waiter looking after all the tables and was a bit slow. Not the waiters fault (Barry) who was exceptional and very friendly, just a shame he does not have the food to serve that would make the all round experience much better. We also found a bit of a disconnect between the bar and the restaurant. For example we ordered coffee to have in the lounge after dinner but we had to remind then to make it! Service could be improved here.

Breakfast was better, a good selection and freshly prepared with plenty of choice. Very nice.

Overall would still recommend a stay here and we had a very nice time. The staff are excellent and very friendly and location is good to access Peebles and surrounding areas. Would consider returning for another stay on a similar deal.

Dear PilotBoy72,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.
As we have recently been taken over by Mercure we were unable to keep the previous DeVere sign at the bottom of our drive, so there was a short period of time that we were without assign. You will be pleased to hear that we now have our new sign installed.

I’m sure that you will also be pleased to hear that we have now replaced our beds.

I have passed your feedback relating to the restaurant to our head chef aand food and beverage manager who have assured me that they will take this on board and have put new training procedures in to action.

Thank you once again for leaving your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Barony Castle.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Was at this hotel at the weekend for a family wedding. My wife and i were very impressed with the whole experience of the wedding occasion from the day before until the morning after. The staff were very welcoming and attentive even during a fire alarm which turned out to be a false alarm. If anyone is thinking of staying here for whatever reason i would recommend that they do.

1  Thank tyljam5
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear tyljam5,

Thank you for your kind words following your recent stay at Barony Castle.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed not only the wedding but also friendly staff and facilities.

Should you wish to return to Barony Castle please contact us directly in order to book.

Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

This was my 2nd stay here, the 1st was for a xmas night out a few years back and we all stayed over, it was very good. I am just back from a family wedding here. The staff were very efficient and friendly, food good & service excellent, we all had a great time
I only gave 4* for location but that was only because i felt you would need your car to get there, the hotel,s location is in excellent surroundings and very tranquil especially out the back beside the woods and old mill.

Overall would recommend an overnight stay.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear mawmol,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review of Barony Castle.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us on your second visit to the hotel for your family wedding. I was pleased that the day was a success and everyone enjoyed themselves.

Should you wish to return in the future please contact the hotel directly where any team member would be happy to assist you with this.

Jamie Mackie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Eddleston
Peebles Hydro
#1 of 2 in St. Boswells
Castle Venlaw Hotel
Castle Venlaw Hotel
#4 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!