“november weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eddleston
home
“november weekend”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed in this hotel as part of a Travelzoo deal,which turned out to be excellent value.Very friendly staff,clean but basic rooms,a refurb is definately required.Lovely pool,poor cold sauna.
Evening meal was lovely and breakfast good,though some of food on buffet could be hotter.
Sadly bar staff very pleasant,bu clueless at making drinks such as plain old gin and tonic.
The grounds are delightful and lovely to walk around

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear ruth12,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at Barony Castle.

As we have recently been taken over, the building is currently going through a staged refurbishment. I’m sorry that you found the sauna to be cool, as part of our environmental responsibility policy the sauna works on a timer. We do have signs in place to ask our guests to alert us when they would like the sauna to be on. Following your review I have had these signs relocated to ensure that our guests are aware of this procedure.

Kind regards

Jamie Mackie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just back from our 2nd visit to the Barony Castle. We noticed when we arrived that the hotel had changed hands so we were a little concerned incase it didn't live up to what we had experienced before.

We arrived just after 1pm and gave our names at reception, after a bit of tapping away at the computer the girl said that she couldn't find out booking. I'd booked through hotel connexions and this was the first time I'd not taken my booking confirmation with me, I told her who we had booked through and after a bit more computer searching through hotel connexions site she found the booking and explained that as they had changed hands last week and swapped computer systems they were experiencing some hitches.

Our room wasn't ready...they didn't know we were coming..so we were asked to go to the lounge and have a drink. Less than 5 minutes later we were sitting down to a nice coffee and great homemade tablet when she came through and said the room was ready and we'd been upgraded, to save us trouble they had also taken our bags up as well.

This was more than expected as there had been no fuss and I understood why the issue had taken place but still a nice touch.

The room was lovely and large, if I had one negative to make then it is perhaps they need a bit of a freshen up, they feel a bit tired in comparison with other areas of the hotel. Yes, like someone else commented the floors do creak a bit but it is an old castle!

After unpacking we had a wander round the grounds, recommend the rope course, great for children or big kids like myself. Went back in, had a drink then went to chill out until dinner.

We thought the hotel was quiet, hence the upgrade, but at dinner realised they were fully booked with a coach trip and a large party of people. Dinner was lovely, again maybe due to the change over but I don't think they should call their menu the Summer Menu in November. Nevertheless the food was all local and fresh, we got this as part of the deal but the normal cost is £26 for three courses and nothing was skimped on, my main course was a lamb shank and I had to leave some so there was room for a dessert.

We had a few drinks in the lounge then called it a night. Yes, we did get some noise from the person in the room next to us but I think this was them being rude with a TV blaring until after midnight, nothing wrong with the hotel as we heard no other noises. The beds are also very firm and the pillows quite hard, I prefer a soft pillow and did struggle to get comfy but this is a personal preference and always struggle to sleep when I'm not in my own bed so can't blame the hotel.

Breakfast was a feast, they do a warm and cold buffet, so all sorts to choose from from fruit, cheeses and then sausage, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, haggis and all the toast and pastries you could want. If none of that suits you can order from the menu (kippers etc). Normal price is £13.95 but I travel a lot for work and this is reasonable for most hotels and it normally isn't as fresh.

When we went to leave they hesitated with the bill before they would show us, then dug out receipts as they couldn't understand why we had restaurant charges but everything was in order.

Price of drinks isn't excessive in my opinion, you can't go anywhere else and its on a par with what you would pay in Edinburgh City Centre, £3.55 for a pint of lager, £6.75 for a large glass of wine. £7 for a glayva did give me a fright but as far as I was concerned I was on my holidays. I noticed as well they had deals for bottles of wine at £15 which again seemed reasonable. I also figure that if you have gone away for a night at somewhere like this and you grudge paying a little extra for a drink then you should have stayed at home, you have to pay for nice things and should not let this define a hotel.

I didn't try the leisure centre although recommend if you plan to do this take a towel as you are expected to use the ones in your room which I do agree is a bit mean, but maybe if you asked for extra towels you would get them.

The staff are all very pleasant and if you want somewhere to unwind then this is the place to go. Everything is really chilled, if you want to dress up for dinner you can but likewise I wore jeans and a smart top and this was more than acceptable.

We will definately be back and this play is definately no 2 in my favourite hotels to go to for a night away.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alison_1974
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Alison_1974,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. Stephanie the Front of House Manager was delighted to hear your feedback, and glad that you enjoyed the upgraded room that she had organised for you.

Please feel free to contact Stephanie if you would like to return. Her email address is smorgan@baronycastle.com

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Lovely, welcoming hotel. Staff exceptionally friendly. Look out for the Mapa Scotland in the grounds - that was unexpected! Such a hidden gem that the sign had been taken down - perhaps they want to keep it exclusive. Recommended for Borders.

Dear ERF18,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely review regarding your recent visit to Barony Castle.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found Mapa Scotland! The map will shortly be going under further renovation.

Should you wish to return to Barony Castle please contact the team directly who would be more than happy to assist you with this.

Warm regards,

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Found this hotel on a Wowcher promo and joined 3 together. We stayed Sat. to Tues. A nice room with expected facilities.Our receptionist was delightful and we found that nothing at all was too much trouble. We were to discover that a high level of service was the norm throughout the hotel. We had pre-booked our evening meal in the hotel`s `Blue Dug` restaurant on each evening of our stay. A wise move as we found the food to be excellent although a minor quibble was that mussels were unavailable and yes they were in season and available elsewhere. Well situated for other border attractions with Edinburgh just 18 miles distant. We will be sure to return in the not too distant future.

Dear AlStewart203,

Thank you for leaving your feedback through tripadvisor.

Both the team and I were happy to hear your positive feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back to Barony Castle in the future.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

This place is quite special in its own way and only let down by the poor evening food.

On arrival at the Hotel you see the vast grounds and the very regal looking castle that imposes itself against the magnificent backdrop, On Reception you are greeted with friendly helpful faces who all go beyond the call of duty to ensure your stay in the area is as comfortable as can be.

Our Room was small but very comfortable and clean and although not exactly a knights realm, was adequate for our stay. The Swimming Pool was again small but like the rooms, everything was clean and available.

The food in the evening was the low point and although we did not have a full dinner, the soup was not brilliant, the bread was stale and the burger tasteless. To add to the problems, the drinks were overpriced!

Breakfast in the morning more than made up for the previous nights fare with a large selection of hot and cold food all nicely cooked and FRESH.

All in all, not a bad stay and I'm sure we will be back.

Dear Andy G,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your recent stay at Barony Castle.

I was pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and that the team went above and beyond to ensure your comfort.

I was disappointed to hear that you had not enjoyed your evening meal, I have passed your feedback directly onto the chefs who are working on the issues you have raised.

Should you wish to book again, please contact the team at Barony Castle directly and they will be more than happy to assist you.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The general stay in the hotel was very good; the room was clean and of a fair size. It was very pleasant and the grounds were beautiful. However the main point I would like to make was that the staff were first rate, they couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant. I threw many obstacles in their path, (though not on purpose) for example how to print my boarding pass for returning home (perhaps this doesn't sound too complex, but it baffled me and took some length of time to resolve, which they did and with a smile!!) They were chatty, friendly and made the stay ultimately more enjoyable. I would return on the strength of their staff alone!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear fionahill2,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review for your stay with us in October.

The Front of House Manager, Stephanie Morgan, was delighted to hear your feedback and has asked me to pass on that it was a pleasure to meet you. We take pride in our team and they were very proud to hear your kind words.

If you would like to book your future visit please contact myself or Stephanie directly on smorgan@baronycastle.com

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My friend and I booked in for the fishermans special deal last weekend.We were given an en-suite room with a double and a single bed(although the offer was for double room they accomodated us no problem).We also booked in and stayed on a Friday and Saturday night during a full wedding day.
Taking into account the excellent 'buffet style' breakfast, which had absolutely everything you could wish for,and the leisure facilities which were all included in the price then this deal must be one of the deals of the year.
Staff were very friendly and helpful and I would recommend it to anyone.
Bar prices are a bit high for the draught beer but that was more than compensated for when you see the choice of breakfast.
I intend contacting the hotel to see if this deal is still available and will definitely be returning.
Allan

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Allan H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback for your recent stay with us at Barony Castle.

I was extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our facilities to be to your liking and good value for money.

When you would like to make your return booking please contact either myself or Stephanie Morgan, the Front of House Manager on smorgan@baronycastle.com who would be delighted to help you to arrange this.
Warm Regards,

Jamie Mackie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eddleston
Peebles Hydro
#5 of 8 in Peebles
Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
#1 of 2 in St. Boswells

Been to Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!