“Average hotel experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eddleston
South Wales
“Average hotel experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We recently (Oct 18th) stayed here after purchasing a room on the De Vere website for just £19.
We arrived rather late (9ish) so didn't get to see much of the hotel and went straight to our room which was clean, a good size and well equiped. It had a nice bathroom but the toilet didn't flush properly but we managed ok with it for that night. The walls in the hotel must be very thin as we could clearly hear people walking, TVs and even a kettle boiling in the neighbouring rooms. Floorboards were extremely noisy and I don't just mean in the floor above us. This was an annoyance but didn't spoil our time there too much. After an average night's sleep we got up early to use the swimming pool and sauna. The pool was quite warm, which was a plus, and the pool reasonably quiet as it was quite early. On our way to the swimming pool we mentioned to the receptionist about the problem with the toilet and she said that she would get the problem sorted. When we returned to our room about an hour later we found that no-one had been to fix the toilet.
We decided against having breakfast as it was £13.50 a head which we thought was excessive.
As we only paid £19 for the room I thought we had good value for money but if we had paid a normal room rate I would have been dissatisfied. After reading one of the previous reviews about the couple who were very poorly treated, I feel rather fortunate as it seemed like we were staying in the middle of a management changeover period and only two days before the other couple were turned away. It seems odd that you can still go on the De Vere website and book a room here if they have new management.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Chris-magenta,

Thank you for leaving your feedback from your stay with us in October.

I was glad to hear that you had enjoyed using our leisure facilities but was disappointed that you only had an average night sleep due to the creaking floorboards. Due to the age of the building this can happen. If you would like to stay again in the future, please contact me directly and I will ensure you have a quiet room on the highest floor available.

As the hotel is a large property we do have a substantial hand over period where our guests may book through several channels, the DeVere website will stop being one of these channels in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Jamie Mackie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Penrith, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We have just returned after a two day mid week break along with a disabled friend and her husband.
We were very impressed from our first view of the Castle to the friendly,helpful staff who helped us with our luggage as we left our rooms.
The disabled facilities of our friend's room included a wet room which allowed plenty of space to allow for the wheelchair.
We cannot praise enough the staff at this hotel. Everyone from the receptionist to the restaurant staff and chambermaids could not have been more helpful. Everyone at this hotel went out of their way to make our stay so very comfortable.
All the meals we had at the hotel were really good in both quantity and quality.
The spa was great although changing facilities for our disabled friend was a little difficult.
The grounds were very pleasant though,as the weather had been wet,the paths were not suitable for a wheelchair.
We all had a lovely break in a lovely hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JPM184
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear JPM184,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us at Barony Castle. I was pleased to hear that the staff went above and beyond to help you and your friends during your break.
I appreciate your feedback regarding our changing rooms not being adequate for your friend. As a result of this we will be fully refurbishing our leisure changing in the near future.
Should you wish to return to Barony Castle in the future please feel free to contact the hotel directly.
Warm regards,
Morpeth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked this Hotel using a voucher on 26th August for Saturday 20th October.
I also sent an E mail to the Hotel on 15th October to confirm all was in order for the 20th October.
They said, by way of their E mail (15/10/2012 @ 23.21 sent by Graeme from reception & I have printed a copy of same) that they were looking forward to welcoming us to Barony Castle.
You can imagine my shock and horror when I arrived with my wife for her surprise birthday weekend treat at the Barony Castle Hotel only to be told the Hotel would not honour my booking as they have changed hands and under new ownership.
We were now left miles from home with no Hotel.
With my wife in tears and a round trip of more than 200 miles to return home, I decided to pay for another Hotel in nearby Peebles.
I would also like to know why the Hotel did not contact me and explain before I set off that it was not now a Devere Hotel and that my booking was no longer valid.
They said they had tried to contact me without success but when I produced a printed copy of their E mail to me on 15th October they had no answer. In short, they let me travel to their Hotel, knowing I would not have a valid booking. Barony Castle will certainly not be a place I will be booking in future.

2 Thank J4NOD
Dear NODNewcastleupontyne,

Thank you for your feedback, once again I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the misunderstanding with your booking made through DeVere.
I am glad that we have been able to come to a resolution and that you have been able to sort things out with DeVere.
I look forward to welcoming you to Barony for your future booking.
Kind regards,

Operations Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Eddleston hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here in September 2012. The hotel is situated in a lovely rural location and is a stunning looking building. We enjoyed a great meal and found the staff very friendly. My daughter enjoyed the pool and it was dry enough for a nice walk around the grounds.

There was a wedding on the night we stayed and this did slow up service at the bar and for our meal. However they did bring us our dessert in our room so we did not have to wait around for it.

I stayed in the hotel at a reduced rate and i found the price I paid to be value for money. I probably wouldnt pay the base rate.

Overall a grwat stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pcnelson
Jamie M, Owner at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear pcnelson
Thanks for the time you have taken in submitting your review on Trip Advisor following a recent stay at the Mercure Barony Castle Hotel and Spa.
I was very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us in September, and the title of your review is very much a view shared by all the team here at Barony Castle and gladly by the majority of valued guests that choose to stay with us.
I have a daily brief with my team and can safely say they were all delighted to read your response and have asked to be associated with my sincere thanks for such wonderful feedback . I have spoken with our bar supervisor who has apologised for the slight delay in bar service owing to this being a particularly busy time of day with the majority of wedding guests being in the main hotel bar.
I do hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future; I would be delighted to meet with you personally and to welcome you back to Barony Castle.

Operations manager
ayrshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

We visited this lovely hotel for a 2nd time with our 2 toddlers, staying Friday to Sunday. Having loved our first stay, unfortunately our experience this time was not quite so good. The hotel itself is lovely, modern, clean and in wonderful surroundings. Staff were very friendly, especially Graeme on the reception desk. We had a family room, that was adequate in size but was in need of severe refurbishment ie. bathroom floor sinking in one part, window was partly off hinges(so unopenable) and very mouldy. We never had dinner in hotel this time as the kids menu wasn't very appropriate for a 1yo and a 3yo, but onour last visit the food was lovely and reasonably priced. Breakfast was buffet style and quality and quantity were impressive. What really spoiled our mini break was the situation of our room (116). The rooms surrounding us were filled with guests from a wedding party, and on the Friday the next room decided to play music at annoyingly loud levels at 1am. We phoned reception and they gladly sent someone to investigate, and the music stopped within 30mins. On the Saturday we found out that our room was right above the function suite, and therefore music was blaring till midnight. So both nights our kids hardly slept and due to lack of sleep they were feeling really ill the last few days as they catch up on what they lost. I find it inappropriate to have a family room above a function suite, and a member of staff remarked that they found it crazy we had been put in this room, considering the wedding party were all here and the location. Therefore, we regrettably will not be likely to return to what can be a wonderful place.

Room Tip: Anywhere other than above function suite
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear thebhoy1979
I am pleased to note that you have stayed with us before and that you enjoyed the facilities and service with us on this occasion. Equally it is disappointing to learn that on your most recent visit that we did not meet with your expectations. Consistency is of course key in any business and I would like to openly apologise for the fact that we did not deliver our quality assurance on this occasion.
Having said that your feedback is very gratefully received and I have already used it in exemplifying the need for a little fore thought regarding the allocation of rooms for families with small children, or indeed those not associated with wedding events hosted at the hotel. In simple terms we should have anticipated your needs and allocated you a room in a quitter part of the property, our failure to do so clearly resulted in disappointment. As a father of a young child I fully appreciate the disturbance and anxiety caused by a restless night for the children.
I do hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future, I would be delighted to meet with you personally and to ensure that we allocate you a very nice and very private family room for what I can assure you will be a far more relaxing experience.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Recently stayed at Barony Castle with my partner on a 2 night dinner on 1st night bed and breakfast. On arrival the receptionist was very pleasant and on checking in we were asked to wait in the bar until she could confirm our room was ready. Drinks were a bit pricey but nice. The room was very nice but a long way from reception along a lot of stairs and corridors. We couldn't imagine trying to find our way back after a night in the bar!!
The 3 course dinner in the restaurant was very good and breakfast excellent.
The hotel grounds were very nice to walk around even though it was a bit wet and muddy. We used the hotel as a base for visiting the local area and weren't disappointed.
There was a wedding on the Saturday and there was a bit of noise from the disco at night.
The swimming pool was very small and the jets in the jacuzzi weren't powerful enough for you to feel them. Be aware that if you want the sauna on you need to ring reception from a phone which is located outside of the pool area and along a corridor. Too late once you're in and wet. There is a notice on the door but too late as my glasses were in the locker.
All in all a very nice place for a short break and we would go back.

Room Tip: Room 226 was a nice room but a lot of stairs and corridors.
Dear Kevin H
I appreciate the time you have taken in submitting your review on Trip Advisor following a recent stay at the Mercure Barony Castle Hotel and Spa.
I am delighted that on the whole you had a very enjoyable stay with us and that you were able to make full use of our leisure facilities and enjoy the stunning surroundings of our extensive grounds. I have shared your comments with the team who have asked to be associated with my sincere thanks for such lovely feedback about the service and the food.
I take note of your comments regarding the leisure facility, and the challenges faced with the power of the jets in the Jacuzzi. Following this feedback I have asked our property team to inspect the pumps to ensure they are in perfect working order, if this is not the case then please be assured that I will take the remedial action necessary to improve this situation with urgent effect.
I do hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future, I would be delighted to meet with you personally and to show you some of the on-going improvements we are making to this stunning property.

glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Booked a last minute family break - mum, dad, 11 and 9 year old, and gran on the 2 nights DBB and free 3rd night BB via Classic Britain - this was by far the best price available at the time, and we were not disappointed. Having stayed at Hiltons and Hydros before, this place is as good as, if not better - great value for money (at on average half the price we were quoted for a similar break elsewhere), the hotel and surroundings are stunning, decor of public areas lovely - cosy and comfortable. Kids and dad were in the pool each day, sauna and jacuzzi also available, as was a gym with rowers, treadmills, exercise bikes .... Staff all extremely nice and helpful. Food lovely - both breakfast and dinner - there are 5/6 choices for each course, so plenty to choose from to have an alternative dish each evening. The menu also clearly states if you fancy something different then just ask them 24 hours in advance and they will do their best to accommodate. Bar prices on the steep side but then all hotels are the same. As there were 4 of us for a family room I had not realised that I should have asked for an extra bed (all rooms in corridor we were in had a double and single bed), but as soon as I asked reception this was all sorted out immediately. There was a wedding on the Saturday night and we could hear the music as we were directly above, but this stopped at 1145 and did not cause us any issues - no complaints whatsoever about any aspect of the hotel - only compliments, and we hope to return for a similar break in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank alis0nmac
Dear AlisOnMac

Thank you very much for the time you have taken in submitting your review on Trip Advisor following a recent stay at the Mercure Barony Castle Hotel and Spa.

I remember meeting with you and the family when you visited us recently, and it is very nice to hear on trip advisor what great time was had by all. The team here at Barony receive feedback daily from me and to say your feedback was well received would be an understatement, they were thrilled.

I personally view Barony as the the hidden Gem of the Borders, and I know that in terms of hospitality and service that we offer excellent value for money in every sense. It is a great blessing to have such a dedicated team who all share the belief that Barony is not just a place it is an experience in truly stunning surroundings. Being an hotelier I visit many hotels the length and breadth of the country, the great ones all have one thing in common irrespective of the star ratings they may enjoy, in simple terms, it is all about great people and inspiring places, Barony is just such a place and one I am very proud to be part of.

I do hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future, it would be great to meet with you again and to welcome the family back for another enjoyable visit to our oasis of great hospitality in the heart of the borders.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eddleston
Peebles Hydro
#1 of 2 in St. Boswells
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#3 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!