“Good and bad”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eddleston
ayrshire
“Good and bad”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We visited this lovely hotel for a 2nd time with our 2 toddlers, staying Friday to Sunday. Having loved our first stay, unfortunately our experience this time was not quite so good. The hotel itself is lovely, modern, clean and in wonderful surroundings. Staff were very friendly, especially Graeme on the reception desk. We had a family room, that was adequate in size but was in need of severe refurbishment ie. bathroom floor sinking in one part, window was partly off hinges(so unopenable) and very mouldy. We never had dinner in hotel this time as the kids menu wasn't very appropriate for a 1yo and a 3yo, but onour last visit the food was lovely and reasonably priced. Breakfast was buffet style and quality and quantity were impressive. What really spoiled our mini break was the situation of our room (116). The rooms surrounding us were filled with guests from a wedding party, and on the Friday the next room decided to play music at annoyingly loud levels at 1am. We phoned reception and they gladly sent someone to investigate, and the music stopped within 30mins. On the Saturday we found out that our room was right above the function suite, and therefore music was blaring till midnight. So both nights our kids hardly slept and due to lack of sleep they were feeling really ill the last few days as they catch up on what they lost. I find it inappropriate to have a family room above a function suite, and a member of staff remarked that they found it crazy we had been put in this room, considering the wedding party were all here and the location. Therefore, we regrettably will not be likely to return to what can be a wonderful place.

Room Tip: Anywhere other than above function suite
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear thebhoy1979
Thanks for the time you have taken in submitting your review on Trip Advisor following a recent stay at the Mercure Barony Castle Hotel and Spa.
I am pleased to note that you have stayed with us before and that you enjoyed the facilities and service with us on this occasion. Equally it is disappointing to learn that on your most recent visit that we did not meet with your expectations. Consistency is of course key in any business and I would like to openly apologise for the fact that we did not deliver our quality assurance on this occasion.
Having said that your feedback is very gratefully received and I have already used it in exemplifying the need for a little fore thought regarding the allocation of rooms for families with small children, or indeed those not associated with wedding events hosted at the hotel. In simple terms we should have anticipated your needs and allocated you a room in a quitter part of the property, our failure to do so clearly resulted in disappointment. As a father of a young child I fully appreciate the disturbance and anxiety caused by a restless night for the children.
I do hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future, I would be delighted to meet with you personally and to ensure that we allocate you a very nice and very private family room for what I can assure you will be a far more relaxing experience.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Recently stayed at Barony Castle with my partner on a 2 night dinner on 1st night bed and breakfast. On arrival the receptionist was very pleasant and on checking in we were asked to wait in the bar until she could confirm our room was ready. Drinks were a bit pricey but nice. The room was very nice but a long way from reception along a lot of stairs and corridors. We couldn't imagine trying to find our way back after a night in the bar!!
The 3 course dinner in the restaurant was very good and breakfast excellent.
The hotel grounds were very nice to walk around even though it was a bit wet and muddy. We used the hotel as a base for visiting the local area and weren't disappointed.
There was a wedding on the Saturday and there was a bit of noise from the disco at night.
The swimming pool was very small and the jets in the jacuzzi weren't powerful enough for you to feel them. Be aware that if you want the sauna on you need to ring reception from a phone which is located outside of the pool area and along a corridor. Too late once you're in and wet. There is a notice on the door but too late as my glasses were in the locker.
All in all a very nice place for a short break and we would go back.

Room Tip: Room 226 was a nice room but a lot of stairs and corridors.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kevin H
I appreciate the time you have taken in submitting your review on Trip Advisor following a recent stay at the Mercure Barony Castle Hotel and Spa.
I am delighted that on the whole you had a very enjoyable stay with us and that you were able to make full use of our leisure facilities and enjoy the stunning surroundings of our extensive grounds. I have shared your comments with the team who have asked to be associated with my sincere thanks for such lovely feedback about the service and the food.
I take note of your comments regarding the leisure facility, and the challenges faced with the power of the jets in the Jacuzzi. Following this feedback I have asked our property team to inspect the pumps to ensure they are in perfect working order, if this is not the case then please be assured that I will take the remedial action necessary to improve this situation with urgent effect.
I do hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future, I would be delighted to meet with you personally and to show you some of the on-going improvements we are making to this stunning property.

glasgow
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Booked a last minute family break - mum, dad, 11 and 9 year old, and gran on the 2 nights DBB and free 3rd night BB via Classic Britain - this was by far the best price available at the time, and we were not disappointed. Having stayed at Hiltons and Hydros before, this place is as good as, if not better - great value for money (at on average half the price we were quoted for a similar break elsewhere), the hotel and surroundings are stunning, decor of public areas lovely - cosy and comfortable. Kids and dad were in the pool each day, sauna and jacuzzi also available, as was a gym with rowers, treadmills, exercise bikes .... Staff all extremely nice and helpful. Food lovely - both breakfast and dinner - there are 5/6 choices for each course, so plenty to choose from to have an alternative dish each evening. The menu also clearly states if you fancy something different then just ask them 24 hours in advance and they will do their best to accommodate. Bar prices on the steep side but then all hotels are the same. As there were 4 of us for a family room I had not realised that I should have asked for an extra bed (all rooms in corridor we were in had a double and single bed), but as soon as I asked reception this was all sorted out immediately. There was a wedding on the Saturday night and we could hear the music as we were directly above, but this stopped at 1145 and did not cause us any issues - no complaints whatsoever about any aspect of the hotel - only compliments, and we hope to return for a similar break in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank alis0nmac
Dear AlisOnMac

Thank you very much for the time you have taken in submitting your review on Trip Advisor following a recent stay at the Mercure Barony Castle Hotel and Spa.

I remember meeting with you and the family when you visited us recently, and it is very nice to hear on trip advisor what great time was had by all. The team here at Barony receive feedback daily from me and to say your feedback was well received would be an understatement, they were thrilled.

I personally view Barony as the the hidden Gem of the Borders, and I know that in terms of hospitality and service that we offer excellent value for money in every sense. It is a great blessing to have such a dedicated team who all share the belief that Barony is not just a place it is an experience in truly stunning surroundings. Being an hotelier I visit many hotels the length and breadth of the country, the great ones all have one thing in common irrespective of the star ratings they may enjoy, in simple terms, it is all about great people and inspiring places, Barony is just such a place and one I am very proud to be part of.

I do hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future, it would be great to meet with you again and to welcome the family back for another enjoyable visit to our oasis of great hospitality in the heart of the borders.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just attended a wedding at Barony Castle. Castle nice, function room great but I find that paying over 4.20 for a spirit and mixer hard to swallow. I know that Barony Castle offer couples great wedding packages of 3 or 4K - they can offer do this by securing high beverage spend from the unsuspecting wedding couple's' friends and family. Drinks greatly overpriced and bar staff slow and uninterested.... Shame on you Barony!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank WellTravelled1974
Dear ESadycDTKO

I have read your comments with interest and appreciate the point of view you have expressed regarding the prices charged for alcoholic drinks within the hotel. I do receive feedback from time to time regarding our pricing, and whilst I appreciate that our prices are a little more that the high street pub, we do bench mark ourselves regularly against our competitors locally and regionally. With this in mind we always strive to remain competitive and I can confirm that on average we are between 5% and 7% more reasonable than the majority of hotels of the same standard in the borders district.

I was personally very disappointed to learn that members of my food and beverage team were less than excellent in the execution of their duties and indeed that they left you with an impression that they were not interested. Feedback, both good and bad, is a gift and one I value greatly. You have my personal assurance that I will investigate your comments and will initiate additional customer service training within all areas of the business to prevent a repetition of such impressions in the future. Thank you sincerely for sharing this feedback with me and the team.

Often it is the case that our perception of price is aligned to the service we receive, and from this perspective I empathise with the perceived value for money not being up to scratch when the service offered has been potentially less than exemplary.

We do pride ourselves greatly on the excellent service we offer to the vast majority of our valued customers, your feedback is greatly appreciated as a timely reminder that we are all fallible, and that the pursuit of excellence is a continuous journey.

I do hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future, it would be a pleasure to buy you a drink to thank you for your feedback.

Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Eddleston hotels

Ayr
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed Friday and Saturday night in October for a friends wedding on the Saturday. It had a nice atmorphere and public areas are stylish and relaxing. The first impression of any hotel is the receptionst and Graeme was just great and worked hard all weekend to look after everyone, and always with a smile, Breakfast was excellent , and so was the wedding and wedding dinner. Only one wee complaint was the room needed more lights, but this was a small problem in a great weekend. Thank you Barony Castle!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AyrLindaD
Dear AyrlindaD

I note that you are a senior reviewer and have reviewed many other properties. The title of your lovely review automatically leads to a sense of reward and recognition . I share feedback with my team every day at our morning meeting, and it really does go a long way to encouraging them all in their daily duties and leaves them with a strong sense of fulfilment for a job well done, they have all asked to be associated with my sincere thanks.

I have made a note of your comment regarding additional lighting and I will ensure we act upon this feedback positively in the coming months as we continue with our programme of continuous upgrade and improvement. Feedback, as my team remind me, is a gift that we must embrace and act upon, and you have my personal assurance that our property manager will take account of your feedback as we upgrade our rooms.

I am very proud of the team at Barony Castle and we do take great pleasure in providing the very best of Scottish hospitality, and with the support of my team we drive and push daily to continue the good work and to further improve our standards and service.

In closing I would like to thank you for Choosing the Mercure Barony Castle Hotel and Spa for your recent break. I sincerely hope to welcome you personally next time you visit us.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed at Barony Castle for one night in September, There was a wedding taking place when we got there and this added to the great atmosphere what with all the kilts and costumes on show and everybody seemed to be enjoying the surroundings as much as we were. The hotel was very cosy and clean,the food was to die for and the staff were very efficient and helpful. Free mountain bikes for exploring the very interesting grounds went down very well. Breakfast was a help yourself boufet and was made to perfection. We would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank james c
Dear James C

I note that you are a senior reviewer and have reviewed many other properties.Therefore to read such positive feedback is a great morale booster for all of my dedicated team. I share feedback with my team every day and it really does go a long way to encouraging them all in their daily duties and leaves them with a strong sense of fulfilment for a job well done, they have all asked to be associated with my sincere thanks. I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future in order that you enjoy the exciting developments that we have in place for the coming months.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We regularly stay at barony castle and are never disappointed !! This time we took our two dogs and the grounds are great to walk round. Staff are very friendly and could not be more helpful We will be back !!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sinatra678,
Feedback is a gift, and to read such great feedback from one of our valued regulars is very rewarding for me and indeed the whole team. As you have mentioned we are an ideal retreat for dog lovers with our beautiful and extensive grounds. It is very reassuring and rewarding to learn that we continue to provide the same great levels of service and hospitality every time you stay with us, and please be assured we will strive to maintain this for all future visits.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eddleston
Peebles Hydro
#5 of 8 in Peebles
Traquair Arms Hotel
Traquair Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Innerleithen

Been to Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!