“We had a weekend stay for a friends wedding and loved the place”

Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eddleston
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed Friday and Saturday night in October for a friends wedding on the Saturday. It had a nice atmorphere and public areas are stylish and relaxing. The first impression of any hotel is the receptionst and Graeme was just great and worked hard all weekend to look after everyone, and always with a smile, Breakfast was excellent , and so was the wedding and wedding dinner. Only one wee complaint was the room needed more lights, but this was a small problem in a great weekend. Thank you Barony Castle!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AyrLindaD
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear AyrlindaD
Thank you very much for the time you have taken in submitting your review on Trip Advisor following a recent stay at the Mercure Barony Castle Hotel and Spa.

I note that you are a senior reviewer and have reviewed many other properties. The title of your lovely review automatically leads to a sense of reward and recognition . I share feedback with my team every day at our morning meeting, and it really does go a long way to encouraging them all in their daily duties and leaves them with a strong sense of fulfilment for a job well done, they have all asked to be associated with my sincere thanks.

I have made a note of your comment regarding additional lighting and I will ensure we act upon this feedback positively in the coming months as we continue with our programme of continuous upgrade and improvement. Feedback, as my team remind me, is a gift that we must embrace and act upon, and you have my personal assurance that our property manager will take account of your feedback as we upgrade our rooms.

I am very proud of the team at Barony Castle and we do take great pleasure in providing the very best of Scottish hospitality, and with the support of my team we drive and push daily to continue the good work and to further improve our standards and service.

In closing I would like to thank you for Choosing the Mercure Barony Castle Hotel and Spa for your recent break. I sincerely hope to welcome you personally next time you visit us.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed at Barony Castle for one night in September, There was a wedding taking place when we got there and this added to the great atmosphere what with all the kilts and costumes on show and everybody seemed to be enjoying the surroundings as much as we were. The hotel was very cosy and clean,the food was to die for and the staff were very efficient and helpful. Free mountain bikes for exploring the very interesting grounds went down very well. Breakfast was a help yourself boufet and was made to perfection. We would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank james c

Dear James C

I note that you are a senior reviewer and have reviewed many other properties.Therefore to read such positive feedback is a great morale booster for all of my dedicated team. I share feedback with my team every day and it really does go a long way to encouraging them all in their daily duties and leaves them with a strong sense of fulfilment for a job well done, they have all asked to be associated with my sincere thanks. I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future in order that you enjoy the exciting developments that we have in place for the coming months.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We regularly stay at barony castle and are never disappointed !! This time we took our two dogs and the grounds are great to walk round. Staff are very friendly and could not be more helpful We will be back !!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sinatra678,
Feedback is a gift, and to read such great feedback from one of our valued regulars is very rewarding for me and indeed the whole team. As you have mentioned we are an ideal retreat for dog lovers with our beautiful and extensive grounds. It is very reassuring and rewarding to learn that we continue to provide the same great levels of service and hospitality every time you stay with us, and please be assured we will strive to maintain this for all future visits.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had a wonderful stay this weekend at the Barony Castle in its lovely surroundings. The hotel staff (esp Graham on reception) were welcoming and the room was very nice. We had read reviews that weddings at the hotel were very noisy, especially where a room was over the wedding party. However, the two wedding parties on this weekend did not disturb us in any way, and our room was over the party.
Thank you Barony Castle.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Pyrotenax,
I appreciate the time you have taken in submitting your review on Trip Advisor following a recent stay at the Mercure Barony Castle Hotel and Spa.
In was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your short break with us, and had time to take in the stunning surroundings of the castles grounds, and indeed the wonderful Scottish Borders. I have passed on your very kind comments to Graham, who is thrilled that you found his hospitality welcoming.
I am very proud of the team at Barony Castle and we do take great pleasure in providing the very best of Scottish hospitality, and with the support of my team we strive daily to continue the good work and to further improve our standards and service.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Held my daughters wedding at the location this weekend and the location, setting and service was first class. Enjoyed by all of our friends and family. All those staying over on the night of the wedding reported to us that this was a place they will revisit. Certainly I would recommend this as a great wedding location choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank islayfisher
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear islayfisher,

Congratulations to your daughter and her new husband! It's good to hear that you and your guests had such a good time during your stay.

I will pass your kind comments on to the team.

I hope we will see you again soon.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed October 1, 2012

from the moment i arrived to the moment i sadly parted i was overcome by the magnificent and attentive service of the team at Barony Castle. I was Greeted upon arrival by Steve and James, who i later found out were the general manager and operations director of this picturesque and historical hotel. \i believe that managers set the scene for the teams they lead and this was certainly the case at Barony. every member of staff exuded a positive and courteous attitude helping out at every opportunity and ensuring that every guest was attended to. i was given a full showround of the property and its stunning grounds, and enjoyed dinner in the lovely lounge areas of the hotel. i simply cannot understand some of the negative reviews on this forum, did these guests perhaps unfortunately mix up which hotels they were reviewing, i think so as i found this hotel fantastic in every sense o the word. well done steven and james keep up the great work and hold onton that great team you have developed there - a real home from home.

best wishes

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear cydase_sabay1922,

Thank you very much for leaving such a nice review on tripadvisor following your recent stay.

We are extremely proud of the team we have here, most of which have worked together for many years now. I think some people use this site as more of a weapon than a tool which is very disappointing but thank you for pointing this out to others.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

All the best

Jamie & Steve

Reviewed October 1, 2012

got a groupon for the hotel, including discount on restaurant. Given a room at the top of the building, although a climb nice and quiet.
From the moment we arrived the staff at reception, the bar, and the waiting staff specifically Garry, could not have been more pleasant. the food was excellent as was the wine which was end of barrel.
The hotel is leaving Devere, the rooms are to be upgraded, the hotel is to have a makeover. The one thing that does not require a makeover is the staff attitude.
On the morning of check out there was an error with the bill, which was immediately rectified. We shall certainly return although the only downside was the low flying RAF fighters. Also enjoyed the walk around the grounds and was fascinated by the map of Scotland.

Room Tip: Try an upper floor if you are fit
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Snei,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I'm glad that the team looked after you well during your stay and I will pass on your comments to them all including Garry.

This is a very exciting time for us here at Barony Castle as there are lots of changes going on.

Next time you stay then please contact me directly and I will make sure you get the very best rates possible and also take you for a tour of the building if you have time.

Kind Regards,

Barony Castle

Also consider these accommodations in or near Eddleston
Peebles Hydro
Traquair Arms Hotel
Traquair Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Innerleithen
Best Western Plus Scottish Borders, Selkirk Philipburn Hotel

Been to Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!