“Great wedding venue”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eddleston
Dunbar, United Kingdom
“Great wedding venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Held my daughters wedding at the location this weekend and the location, setting and service was first class. Enjoyed by all of our friends and family. All those staying over on the night of the wedding reported to us that this was a place they will revisit. Certainly I would recommend this as a great wedding location choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank islayfisher
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear islayfisher,

Congratulations to your daughter and her new husband! It's good to hear that you and your guests had such a good time during your stay.

I will pass your kind comments on to the team.

I hope we will see you again soon.

Best Wishes,

Barony Castle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

from the moment i arrived to the moment i sadly parted i was overcome by the magnificent and attentive service of the team at Barony Castle. I was Greeted upon arrival by Steve and James, who i later found out were the general manager and operations director of this picturesque and historical hotel. \i believe that managers set the scene for the teams they lead and this was certainly the case at Barony. every member of staff exuded a positive and courteous attitude helping out at every opportunity and ensuring that every guest was attended to. i was given a full showround of the property and its stunning grounds, and enjoyed dinner in the lovely lounge areas of the hotel. i simply cannot understand some of the negative reviews on this forum, did these guests perhaps unfortunately mix up which hotels they were reviewing, i think so as i found this hotel fantastic in every sense o the word. well done steven and james keep up the great work and hold onton that great team you have developed there - a real home from home.

best wishes

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear cydase_sabay1922,

Thank you very much for leaving such a nice review on tripadvisor following your recent stay.

We are extremely proud of the team we have here, most of which have worked together for many years now. I think some people use this site as more of a weapon than a tool which is very disappointing but thank you for pointing this out to others.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

All the best

Jamie & Steve
Prestwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

got a groupon for the hotel, including discount on restaurant. Given a room at the top of the building, although a climb nice and quiet.
From the moment we arrived the staff at reception, the bar, and the waiting staff specifically Garry, could not have been more pleasant. the food was excellent as was the wine which was end of barrel.
The hotel is leaving Devere, the rooms are to be upgraded, the hotel is to have a makeover. The one thing that does not require a makeover is the staff attitude.
On the morning of check out there was an error with the bill, which was immediately rectified. We shall certainly return although the only downside was the low flying RAF fighters. Also enjoyed the walk around the grounds and was fascinated by the map of Scotland.

Room Tip: Try an upper floor if you are fit
Dear Snei,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I'm glad that the team looked after you well during your stay and I will pass on your comments to them all including Garry.

This is a very exciting time for us here at Barony Castle as there are lots of changes going on.

Next time you stay then please contact me directly and I will make sure you get the very best rates possible and also take you for a tour of the building if you have time.

Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

The hotel is an historic building, in a lovely rural setting. Do go on the guided tour of the grounds etc where they tell you about the hotel's history, its very interesting. Also say hello to Morrison the gorgeous cat who doesn't actually live at the hotel, but obviously knows where the best scraps are. The hotel is a 3 star but is going to be upgraded to 4 star by the new owners. The staff were all lovely and if you asked, nothing was too much trouble, but often you had to ask. They wouldn't always notice you hadn't had coffee or tea at breakfast and that items had run out, but would be happy to give you whatever you wanted if you asked. The secret to good service is not to have to ask. The rooms are fine, with free wifi but the bath was too short to lie down in. Also the rooms are really well heated and there's no thermostat to turn the temperature down. I'm not used to sleeping in an overheated bedroom so kept waking up because I was too hot. The food is good. Overall a good stay. Its a shame the family in the bedroom above ours seemed to think it perfectly acceptable to let their toddler run about constantly thumping on their floor from 6am till 8pm, otherwise it would have been a very relaxing stay.

1 Thank Padders37
Jamie M, Manager at Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear Padders37,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

George our 'tour guide' is very passionate about the history of the castle, and he takes great pride in sharing this with as many people as possible! I will let him know you enjoyed his tour.

I'm sorry that you were disturbed by the guests above you. Next time you stay, please contact me directly and I will make sure you are allocated a nice quiet room on the top level.

You should not have had to ask for tea & coffee as this is all part of our service. I will make sure I share your comments with our food & beverage manager to make sure that our high standards are reiterated to all team members.

Thanks you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I really nice place to stay, once you get used to the maze of corridors to your room. Spa is a little tired and could do with a update (had to mention the broken seat in Sauna). Food is good, but a hairs width away from great. They keep their main dining room uncomfortably hot (both times I have visited in different seasons).
Rooms are comfortable and cosy, they even include a fan, which most non air conditioned hotels do not think of. Only criticism is no real vegetarian option for breakfast (was promised a quorn sausage which sadly never materialized).
I would easily go back, as it has a stunning location in a beautiful part of Scotland.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dillbert
Dear Dillbert,

Thank you for such a great review on tripadvisor.

We are very lucky to work in such a stunning part of Scotland and in particular Barony Castle.
All of our public areas are fully air conditioned but at this time of year it's difficult to get a fine balance with the temperatures. We do try our best to keep everyone as comfortable as possible all of the time.

I'm pleased to say that we have already started work on our leisure club to ensure that it's of the very best standards possible.

I hope we will see you back at Barony soon.

Jamie
Central Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel has some great positives to report but, unfortunately, the negatives outweigh them and we definitely wouldn't go back.

Reception staff were excellent and the food was first class. However, our room was extremely small, basic and dated.

But our major problem was the lack of a good night's sleep. There was a wedding on and our room was above the function suite which made it very noisy. We asked to be moved but the hotel was full. We breathed a sigh of relief when the music stopped but then the guests made their way onto the terrace where they became noisier and more raucous as the night went on. This went on until about 3am. I think that guests who are not part of the wedding party should be allocated rooms at the other side of the hotel.

It was a shame because there were some great aspects to this hotel. However, if you get out of bed in the morning and can't wait to get home for a snooze, it's not a good sign!

Reception staff were very understanding in the morning and seemed to be aware of the problem. They suggested I send an email to management with feedback which I did. To date, I have not had the courtesy of a reply.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a wedding on. If so, request a room at the other side of the hotel.
2 Thank Elliebee19
Dear Elliebee19,

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I'm disappointed to read that you would not return to Barony Castle again. Although weddings are a big part of our business, they should not affect any of our individual guests so for this I am sincerely sorry. We do have a night team who regularly patrol the corridors throughout the night. They are very proactive when they come across any noisy gatherings within the bedrooms after 10pm and do their very best to put a stop to them.

Feedback is essential for us and we take all feedback both positive and negative and use this within our continued training programmes here at the hotel.

I open all incoming mail to the hotel but as yet I have not received a letter from you. If you would like to discuss this further then please contact me at jmackie@baronycastle.com

Barony Castle

Travelers are raving about these Eddleston hotels

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stunning baronial castle hotel set in beautiful grounds.
Fantastic food, very clean, room great even with sailors next door downing shot after shot at 5 am (pre wedding nerves?).
Staff great as mix up with beds at first, very apologetic and friendly. Good pool ,jacuzzi n sauna. Clean changing area. Only moan - service slow at dinner but food fantastic.
Hotel should also prevent kids from wedding reception running in and out of bar area playing chases n knocking down drinks .

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Karen S,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I'm glad that over all you had a good time and I will pass on your positive feedback to our kitchen team regarding your food. Our Restaurant Manager has asked me to apologise for the slow service you received during you dining experience. This is very unusual but we have taken it on board and will feed this back to the team.

Although we are child friendly here at Barony; we do ask parents to make sure their children are well behaved in all public areas of the hotel and especially in food & beverage service areas.

Thanks you once again for your feedback and please feel free to contact me direct at the hotel next time you want to stay.

Regards,

Barony Castle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eddleston
Peebles Hydro
#4 of 8 in Peebles
Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
#1 of 2 in St. Boswells

Been to Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!