“Nothing special for its standard”
Review of The Horseshoe Restaurant - CLOSED

The Horseshoe Restaurant
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Relaxed, easy dining is offered here at The Horseshoe Inn���s Bistro, a low key alternative to the sumptuous Bardoulet���s Restaurant, which has made The Horseshoe famous on the Scottish dining scene. Cosy and rustic, the Bistro is centered around a wood paneled main bar with small round tables edged by linen covered chairs, dark wood original beams overhead and a wood fired stove throwing out warmth just perfect for those cold Scottish winters. A regularly changing menu allows acclaimed chef Patrick Bardoulet to tackle favourite classics from throughout Europe but with his trademark creative twist, using excellent seasonal ingredients from the many excellent producers Scotland has to offer. A children���s menu is available throughout the day, with equally carefully created dishes introducing small gastronomes to the world of good food. Meanwhile, the bar stocks an array of excellent ales well suited to the casual dining approach offered by The Horseshoe Inn Bistro.
Reviewed December 28, 2010

It's a nice quaint place on the main road. Nicely decorated and has a charming feel to it. Personally I was not overly impressed with the food to be honest, when you are in a rated restaurant i.e. rossettes rating, you expect something special. Well, I wasn't impressed. I found the food to be of good standard, but the Barony I feel was better. I had Macaroni Cheese, but it included ingredients that I normally do not associate it with a dish like that. As the Three Chimneys in Skye, these type of restaurants leave me always a bit deflated considering the money you spend...

Reviewed September 27, 2010

Lovely, cosy decor (bistro rather than the restaurant). Didn’t have starter but chose fillet steak. Beautifully cooked. Chips surprisingly (disappointingly) seemed like frozen? Dessert (rhubarb crumble with cinammon ice cream a work of art - best I’ve tasted. Superb service and bill fantastic value (£50 for 2 plus wine) for the standard received. Would highly recommend

Reviewed September 20, 2010

Visited for our packaged lunch from the Devere Hotel. Free lunchers appear to enter into the left side of the Inn, special guests on the right. Two choices for for the starter and two for the main - poor selection. Good service and polite staff. When the food did arrive I was disappointed tyo say the least. My wife was quite embarrassed. Not much on the plate (I am not a pie eater or all you can eat buffet man!).

Rather than selling your business and getting repeat busines you have put me off - Poor. If I had paid I would have complained.

2  Thank Beetmaster
Reviewed September 18, 2010

We went to the Horseshore Inn for Lunch. It was part of a deal with Barony Castle. The choice was extremely limited. Only 2 main courses on offer, Haggis or Mackerel, no vegatarian option at all offered. When we explained that my husband could not eat any of the food for the main course as he did not like fish or haggis there was no offer of exhanging one of the main meals for something else. In fact I would say that the staff were extremely rude and could not have been less interested. This would have been understandable if they were really busy but they were not, only one other table was being servd at the time. We did not eat there and left hungry due to the complete lack of customer care. We did report the appalling service we received at the Horseshoe Inn to the Barony and we would advise that you check the menu options before bothering to make a reservation here. From speaking to the locals about this restaurant the feeling was that the Horseshoe Inn is pretentious, over priced and has alienated the locals. Your money would be much better spent elsewhere either at the Barony or in Peebles which has a few good restaurants with very friendly staff.

6  Thank Karla010
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We stayed near Peebles and found this fabulous restaurant quite by accident. The service was excellent, friendly but not too pushy, and the food was a delight. We only had lunch but i think it would be a great place for an intimate dinner - just a pity we had to come home before we had a chance to find out.
But we'll be back