“A really nice break”

Holiday Inn Express Canterbury
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We booked this hotel for a long weekend so we could visit Canterbury and the surrounding area. Check in on Friday was very straight forward and the receptionist was very friendly and made us feel very welcome. The room was spotless and very well serviced during our three night stay. The hotel was busy but the hard working staff were always very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was a treat with plenty to choose from and we came back to the hotel for dinner on two nights. We both agreed we would stay again, particularly as a good place to stop over if travelling back from France.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rohitha A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your comments.We look forward to welcoming you back to Holidayinn Express Canterbury.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I went up to Canterbury with my sister to collect my niece from Uni and we stayed here. Check in was quick ans easy, staff friendly and helpful. We had a quiet clean room at the back of the hotel. Breakfast was fine with eggs sausages pastrys and fruit. Yes it is close to the motorway so there is an element of noise and yes there is a closed down cafe where you drive in but the hotel itself was clean and for one night was perfectly adequate. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the main road
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,
I thank you for your very positive comments.I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

my daughter has just had a one night midweek stay, she made a telephone booking ( not online ) so spoke to a real person and booked a double room with breakfast, upon arrival only 45 mins later she was told there were no double rooms and had to have a twin which was small and pokey when they came down for breakfast ( quite early ) there was no eggs or bacon available only dried sausages that looked and tasted like they were reheated. Even after this she was still charged £100 for the privaledge, not to mention the extortionate bar prices £7.99 for one drink i have stayed in many hotels and b&b's and this seems to be the worst and most expensive.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. I am grateful that you have detailed your experience and it will surely help us achieve our aim of satisfying guests fully.
I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

generally speaking, you know what you're getting with a HIE, standard rooms and standard fare, at standard prices. What usually makes the difference is the staff. Here they were excellent. A special mention for Eliza, who was both receptionist, bar person, and waitress, and did it all with a friendly smile, and was especially good with our two young sons, who thereafter called her 'the nice lady in the restaurant.' Praise indeed!!!
We ate in the restaurant, which was OK, but don't expect fine dining as the food is processed, but the price reflects this. The complimentary breakfast was good though.
I would definitely use this again as a stopover, but might eat elsewhere in the evening.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Rohitha A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your comments posted on trip Advisor. It's very encouraging. I have shared your comments with my team. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed here at the end of May, over the Bank Holiday weekend (Friday night to Monday morning).

Having recently visited a Holiday Inn Express in Nuneaton and being impressed with the hotel, I was really looking forward to this one, so it's all the more upsetting that I was disappointed in some aspects of our stay in Canterbury.

Firstly, we had requested a quiet room. Unfortunately, our room was as close to the A2 dual carriageway as you could get, and traffic noise was clearly audible in the room.

A day into our stay, I noticed some stains on the bedding which were unattractive. Whilst these were on the sides of the bedding, it gave us the impression that the bedding hadn’t been cleaned or changed in a while. We assumed that the sheets would be changed but when we checked the following day, they hadn’t – and in fact new stains had appeared on the top of the duvet. I have photos, but I won't post them here as I wouldn't want to put people off!

On the Saturday night, there was a large commotion which appeared to be outside our room, with significant shouting, around 10.30pm. For obvious reasons, we did not want to go outside the door. This went on for some time; I appreciate that it's not the hotel's fault but it was a frightening experience and members of the hotel team took some time to resolve the problem.

Additionally, we found the breakfast on one of the days to be a less than pleasurable experience. I appreciate that it was a busy bank holiday weekend but the floors were messy, there was a hair in the grapefruit on the Sunday morning (which completely put me off my breakfast) and it was difficult to get a table.

Finally, next to the hotel was a burnt out café, which isn't the hotel's fault, obviously, but it summed up the overall experience as being disappointing.

I would have brought these issues to the attention of the manager when we left but check-out was busy and I did not wish to hold up the queue, so simply accepted it and went.

I accept that this is a budget hotel, and it's quite smart with some decent customer service, but given some of the issues we had I'm afraid I probably wouldn't stay here again, with our excellent experience in Nuneaton only adding to the disappointment of this visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir,

We are all most concerned to read of your disappointment with your stay with us and offer you our sincere apologies for not having met your expectations on this visit.
There are no excuses for the poor standards of housekeeping you encountered and although we cannot identify which room you were in I have asked our Housekeeper to review your comments with her team.
I would like to reassure you that your experience on this occasion is not indicative of our normally very high standards and I do hope that you will relent, and return for another visit and allow us an opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is not the Ritz, nor does it pretend to be. It's a budget hotel, on a dual carriageway, some miles outside Canterbury. It's clean, staffed by friendly and efficient people and it's (fairly) new - built around 1999. It's also, relatively, very cheap so you shouldn't expect more than it offers.
On arrival, check-in was efficient and no fuss - always a good sign.
We did have a couple of problems with the room - wrong size duvet for the bed, and bathroom extractor fan not working - but these were quickly fixed.
Two major issues that couldn't be fixed were the size of the bed (very small, probably 5' wide) and the fact that the bathroom had no heating at all. It seems strange that anyone would design a hotel with no bathroom heating in Britain, but there we are,
Breakfast is OK - not brilliant but acceptable and certainly generous.
So, as I said, this place is not fancy and doesn't hold itself out to be anything other than a good-standard budget hotel, perfectly suited to coach loads of European tourists and travelling suits. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the road. And good luck with that.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Rohitha A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your comments.We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

4 of us stopped overnight here in 2 twin rooms as we were celebrating my stag do in Canterbury. I was worried about being next door to a petrol station and a the A2 dual carriageway, but the hotel is behind a fence and a short entrance room. We did not notice any traffic noise during our stay.

The room was clean and it was like any other holiday inn express in the layout of the room. Free wifi is an added bonus.

Breakfast was a bit manic the next morning, very busy. The hotel had opened meeting rooms, with tables and chairs to cope with the demand for seating. This was not obvious to start with.

Taxi cost from Canterbury back to the hotel at 2am was £16, probably due to the fact they have go 1 junction up the A2 and comeback down again.

Definitely on the list if I decide to return to the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

#2 of 16 in Canterbury
Travelodge Canterbury Dunkirk
Ebury Hotel and Serviced Apartments
Travelodge Canterbury Chaucer Central

Been to Holiday Inn Express Canterbury? Share your experiences!