“Much improved customer service”

Holiday Inn Express Canterbury
East Anglia
“Much improved customer service”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Last time I stayed here I was disappointed with the Customer Service but on a return visit am pleased to say much improved.
A genuine warm welcome, spotlessly clean rooms, good basic facilities and a bargain price make this a good choice for Canterbury. Its only a 10 min drive to the centre of town. Despite being beside A2 the road noise cant be heard from ground floor room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Skywalker3
Rohitha A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your comments posted on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to Holidayinn Express Canterbury in the New Year.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Just one night on business. Staff helpful, maintenance guy even helped me with my luggage and chef gave me bowl of water to wash the frost off my windscreen in the morning . Easy parking. Good enough food and room. Had room at back so had no problems with traffic noise which some have written about. Altogether more than good enough for the money and such a good location for the university and Canterbury - or coast.
Didn't know how room heater worked, so lady from reception switched on for me when I went out for the evening. I told the maintenanace about the delay in water leaving the shower tray and slight smell from sink - prabably a blockage somewhere and he said he'd get right onto it.
Best night's sleep I'd had in ages - so bed suited me. I liked the cleanliness too.

Room Tip: I had one at back and no traffic noise worries - view onto woodland.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rohitha A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your comments posted on Trip Advisor.We look forward to welcoming you back to holidayinn Express Canterbury.

London
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Room was small but clean and basic. Breakfast was acceptable though juice and coffee are a bit nasty. Staff are ok, although some of the female ones are a little officious. Best for business or if visiting area as there is not much around or in the hotel. Parking not a problem, but no view as sited next to a petrol station. You can use your tastecard for evening meals, which makes them better value, although a little like sitting down for school dinners due to the layout. No phone signal if you have O2, and I mean none at all unless you go and sit in your car in the car park. There is free wifi though (you have to get the code from reception). Traffic is very bad along the A2 in the morning, so took twice the amount of time expected each day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here just for one night in a mini trip from my bigger trip to London. Nothing bad to say about the rooms or anything like that, but just a couple of pointers below:

1. Restaurant service

I had the dinner service here one night, and the treatment I got from the staff wasn't up to the standard I come to know and love from Holiday Inns. Maybe its a UK thing but (being from Canada), I had no idea that in order to order anything for service, one had to physically go up to the bar and order and pay there upfront. There were no signs to indicate this, none of the other customers told me (as I sat there at my table for 15 mins.) and the wait staff literally walked by me and/or ignored my attempts to flag them down and ask just how do I order.

Staff there seemed stressed and overworked, as I heard that someone didn't show up for a shift that night. Still no excuse for poor service.

At midnight, the TV set in my room shut down with no warning and for no apparent reason. Found out the next day that it was hotel policy to turn off the tv cable/satellite at midnight each night. I've never heard of this before and would not have expected this from a country in the Western hemisphere. Extremely confusing to me.

Like I said, the room itself was fine, no complaints, but please address the above points for a more comfortable and efficient stay for other travelers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank robby321
Rohitha A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please accept my sincere apology for your experience. I have taken note of your comments regarding our service at the restaurant and at the bar. It’s according to our brand standard in all Holiday Inn Express Hotels that guest needs to order the food at the bar. I am quite amused with regards to your comments about the TV. We do not have any control over TV‘s in guest rooms. They can be controlled only by the guest. Also we have only satellite free view channels available in rooms.
I will share these to our management team to be addressed accordingly. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Friendly welcome. Clean room and great shower. TV and Tea/coffee making facilities in the room.
Ample choice at breakfast - cafeteria style. Very good value.
Only downside is its proximity to main road but thus easy to get into Canterbury.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Deb H
Rohitha A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to TripAdvisor- it is much appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you back to HolidayInn Express Canterbury in the future!

Calgary
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I booked this hotel having experienced the Holiday Inn Express in Crawley. It is convenient for touring Kent and very near the Park and Ride for Canterbury.
Breakfast is filling although you have to endure the scrum of rude people pushing and shoving, not the hotels fault. The room was clean and although you are near the A2 there was no noise from it.
For the price it would be difficult to beat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Philip C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to TripAdvisor- it is much appreciated.

Malaga, Spain
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This hotel is very good being spotlessly clean and the staff are so friendly and helpful, breakfast was very good with staff ensuring that everything was "topped up" I would recomend this hotel and would definately stay there again. plenty of good free parking, got to give it " five stars "..............

Room Tip: Make the most of the comfortable beds
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rohitha A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canterbury, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your comments posted on TripAdvisor.We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Upper Harbledown
#13 of 16 in Canterbury
Canterbury Hotel
Canterbury Hotel
#5 of 16 in Canterbury

Been to Holiday Inn Express Canterbury? Share your experiences!