“A small paradise”

Five Fingers Holiday Bungalows
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed just for 2 nights in this lovely place, next time it will surely be more.
There are some modern, clean and rather big bungalows around a pool. The beds were hard and not so comfortable, though. The breakfast is very good, and it is served on a roof terrass with the most beautiful view ower the sea and the mountains behind your back.
The hotel is situated in a small village, just a few minutes away from Girne/Kyrenia, with the dolmus bus, which run every 15 minutes. We used taxi to go back from Girne, very cheap.
But the best of all is the kind persons working at the hotel, not at least the owner, Mr Arif. Feels like visiting some friends.

Room Tip: As it is in a very quite area, but you should avoid bungalow no 1 to the left, close to the bird cag...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here last weekend with some friends. We live in the south of Cyprus and are frequent visitors to the area. I chose this side as I'd never been to Bellapais before and all of the accomodation in that area was out of our budget this time. This place seemed quaint and friendly and of course was within our budget. All good on that score. Rooms dated yet clean and sparsely furnished. Hot water wasn't enough for me. Cooker didn't work but we didn't use it. Bed was uncomfortable. Lack of tv wasn't a problem for me but was for my husband. On arrival there were a few maintainence issues with our bungalow but they were sorted straight away. However, the chef was off, the bar ran out of beer and the pool wasn't operational. The later is a problem for me but possibly as a throwback from the days when I was a rep. I just know how upsetting it can be when you can't do something you've really been looking forward to on your holidays regardless of how much you've paid for the room. Also, not really keen on Ozankoy. Yes it's off the beaten track but it's a close knit ex-pat community and it's very much geared to them. On our first night we struggled to get a decent mal in the town a lot of places were closed, some had put their prices up due to a national holiday, some didn't have any diners and the others were either a very limited English menu or were reservation only. We ended up at the kebab shop at the bottom of the hill and then into Kyrenia. The confusion about the room rate was due to the fact that many currencies are accepted in the TRNC. You get the best rate in sterling. Also, I don't think communication is their strong point here. We left something behind. Yes not their fault, no I wouldn't automaticly expect them to make arrangements to post it on but it took 3 phone calls and an e-mail to get through to them and in this time our insurance expired so it cost us quite a bit to go back which could have been avoided but just one of those things. You could have a very peaceful holiday here though if you bear all this in mind. Bring games and plenty of reading material. Plus points, bus service to Kyrenia is regular,fast and reliable. Large fridge in room, lovely supermarkets nearby so you can stock yourself up without being told off (this has happened to us twice in Turkey) despite the boys being miffed at the lack of pork products on their full english, I happen to think the breakfast was almost worth the room price! Mine consisted of yogurt and honey, toast, turkish omlette, proper english tea and a glass of cherry juice.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mrsniccooper
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

We were staying with friends at their home in South Cyprus and travelled to the lovely Girne, for a last long weekend before travelling home.
My first impression of the bungalows is that they were basic but very quaint. The pool was unfortunately out of action (apparently due to heavy rain they'd suffered in recent days, we'd seen our fair share in Larnaca too!) They were starting to get it cleaned through on the day we checked out but we were a little disappointed as my pals don't have a pool to swim in at home.
There seemed to be a little confusion between my friend that booked the accomadation and the owner about price. I couldn't really comment on that though, as I hadn't seen the email discussing the price and thought 40€ a night per room with breakfast seemed pretty reasonable.
I have to mention that although there is food advertised at the hotel, we were unable to eat dinner there as the chef was off due to a bank holiday, although luckily the delicious breakfast on the terrace was still available...
The kitchen in our room had a small hob, fridge, kettle, basic crockery but not pans, I'm assuming if you were to want to cook you could probably borrow something from the main kitchen, but there are so many nice places to eat locally, there is no need to stay in!
My last two points are more on behalf of our male travel companions who were not impressed there were no televisions in the rooms (bonus for me, meant I got a weekend away from background disturbance!) but we got it from the local dog population instead on Sunday: think many locals take them hunting and the dogs get very excited, barking like crazy from about 7am until they leave. They also found the showers weren't very hot, but that is down to personal preforance as the water was hot enough for me.
Overall I had a lovely stay, enjoying the location, we each had our own little patios to sit on, seating in the bungalows themselves or we could sit by the pool: the owners weren't fussed about us bringing our own food or drink to stock the fridges in with us, although there is a small selection available from the bar. The hotel provided wifi, the signal being best by the pool or on the roof terrace.
Overall don't expect 5* anything, but if you want a good value, friendly & peaceful place to stay, I would definatly recommend a visit to the five fingers bungalows.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank BimboDarling
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This was a great holiday. Arif is a wonderful host, prepared to go out of his way to do anything for you. Breakfast on the terrace is magnificent. The rooms are basic but comfortable and opening out onto the pool and we opened our bedroom window to ripening lemons and olives and a view of a crusader castle. It's slightly out of Kyrenia/ Girne but there's a shuttle bus from the front door every 15 minutes. Life doesn't get much better than this!

Room Tip: I didn't look at other rooms but ours in the furthest corner was great.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Last summer i spent few days in this place with my girlfriend. The room is very nice and big, in front a very beautiful swimming pool. The landscape, expecially up in the terrace, is amazing. The owner is friendly and speak a good english. His mother is sitting at the entrance all day and talk friendly with the guests giving the timetable for the next bus ;) This place is 10 minutes from Girne downtown by bus and every 30 minutes you can take it (it's cheap).
If you don't have your transport it's difficult to go out in the evening but the owner think to buy some scooters in the future to rent.
You can eat also in the residence but it's not so cheap.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

As previous people have said, the owner Arif is a tremendous host. He is genuinely a really nice guy and always keen to help – even if you wake him from his siesta! He’ll organize your car hire, airport pickup, taxis, restaurant bookings etc. Nothing is too much trouble. The rest of his family and staff are fantastic too – and his mother who sits outside swatting flies and talking to holidaymakers and locals is very entertaining. Within a day or so you really feel part of the family, which enables you to really relax and feel at home – and we spent 10 nights here so got very comfortable.

As others have said, breakfast is very good and the pool is also great. You’ll often have the pool and sun lounge area to yourself as there are only 10 ‘bungalows’.

A 5-10 minute away is the village of Ozankoy that has some a couple of good restaurants and bars. Bellapais has much more to offer and is a 10 minute drive away - some restaurants will even pick you up and drop you off at Five Fingers. While you’re spoilt for choice in Kyrenia/Girne.

We fell in love with this place - so why only the four stars? Well the accommodation itself isn’t that great. It is pretty basic and looking a little rough around the edges. Five Fingers is a low cost option , so I guess you get what you pay for. The beds – and they only has single beds that you can push together – are uncomfortable, there’s no TV or settee to crash on.. In fact, when we first arrived we were really underwhelmed with the place. Then of course we got to know Arif and his family and our whole perception of Five Fingers changed.

If you’re the type of people that need five or four star luxuries then this place is not for you. But if you value a friendly atmosphere and feeling at home in a relaxed environment then you’ll love it here. And anyway, you can always use the very nice spa down the road at the posh – but soul-less Cratos hotel.

Note: If you want to read about the Cyprus troubles from a Turkish perspective - instead of the usual Greek or Western viewpoints - then ask Arif if you can borrow a book in his library called "The Genocide Files" by Harry Scott Gibbons.

Room Tip: There is free wifi at Five Fingers but it seemed not to cover all bungalows. If you want this then a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We stayed at Five Fingers Holiday Bungalows from 1st to 6th June 2012 and discovered paradise! The bungalow was semidetached and on two floors, pleasantly furnished and quiet, we could step straight from the siting room/kitchen out onto our own patio and then straight into the pool if need be. Cleaning was done every morning while we had the provided breakfast on the communial terrace....and what a breakfast, anything you wanted within reason. The owner Ifrim and his mother were perfect hosts, especially when they discovered my partner has served in the military and lived in Famagusta from 1963 to 1967. I was lent books and discussed many things with them which really opened my eyes to the situation there. We had a hire car so were able to travel over the northern part of the island from visiting the donkeys on what my partner calls The Pan Handle to crossing the border into Nicosia. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay....try it and discover your own little paradise.

Room Tip: Ours faced the end of the pool and looked towards the cafe and bar, we found it ideal.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank abizzyb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ozankoy
The Olive Tree Hotel
Kemerli Konak Boutique Hotel
Paradise Bungalows
Paradise Bungalows
#2 of 14 in Kyrenia

Been to Five Fingers Holiday Bungalows? Share your experiences!