“Thanks for a nice stay”

Ranked #2 of 3 Burwood B&B and Inns
Myrtleford, Australia
“Thanks for a nice stay”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I must admit when we selected here to stay we did so we trepidation as many of the reviews are quite bad.....I even had a backup hotel to call just in case that was over double the cost of this one.

We need not have worried.....I am not sure if most people think everywhere they stay needs to be 5 star even in 3 star accomodation but the Burwood Bed and Breakfast is 3 star. It is a very old house (huge) that has been turned into many many separate rooms. We have a dog so finding pet friendly was important to us.

Linda, the manager of the place has been there for 3 years.....we found her to be very friendly and she came to meet our dog and say Hi after we booked in.

The room was small but the bed was comfortable, the heating was fine and the toilet/shower (a prefab unit installed later) was small and a bit dark but the water was hot and you didn't have to run around to get wet.

Our room had a door to the outside garden area which was great when taking the dog out for her to get her business done. A little more grass would be good but we are in Sydney and grass is at a premium in the urban sprawl that is Burwood.

The bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean. The towels weren't brand new but they were clean and they dried us.

For breakfast on the first day of our stay cereal which was set out for self serve as was the bread for toasting. The table was set with butter, jam and marmalade. We were also served with sausages and eggs and at the end of our meal, Linda encouraged us to "take a sausage for the doggie"

We spent two nights there quite happily (we are the type of people who as long as the place is clean and the bed comfortable and the shower hot we are happy) We got all of this and a hot brekkie as well. Sure there were some scuff marks on the wall, the blinds were old and needed replacing but given the age of the house it's not a huge drama.

We would definitely stay there again if we were taking our dog to Sydney with us.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 13 which is good if you have a dog but the floor is tiled and can get cold so brin...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jallen160808

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Arriving late, I could not believe how terrible the room was. With my children we walked into a room which had a stench of mould. The mattresses and beds did not smell clean and when I went to air out the room, the stench from the rubbish bins filtered throughout the room. When I asked the owner to turn on the aircon, she asked me for $10 extra. I was already paying $220. When I inspected the other rooms, I could not see where the odour was coming from. The bathroom had not been cleaned either. When I went to ask the owner for toilet paper, she was quite rude about it. I tell you - my kids were sick the ENTIRE night we slept there. I could not for the life of me believe what a terrible place it was - and to think they charged us that much was insane. I couldn't sleep. I sat up hoping for the sun to come up already. Meanwhile, could see more unsuspecting visitors arrive feeling so sorry for them too. The place is dungy like and not suitable for children much less monsters!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank poly n

Travelers are raving about these Burwood hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We ended up having to choose alternative accommodation as this place was definitely NOT what was offered. The 'better' room was small; the linen was more suited to a single bed rather than a double; the electric blanket didn't work; if you wanted air-conditioning it was $10 extra and to top it off the light in the bathroom didn't work and they couldn't fix it. When we asked for our money back, I actually had to pay for the soap as I had unwrapped it. At least they gave us our money back!

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This place is terrible. The sheets and bedding were dirty, there were holes in the floor. There was no air con or fans, and no fly screens on the windows, so the room fills with Bugs quickly. There was a sliding door, however the screen door did not close and was full of holes anyway. Our room had a large cockroach nest in the cupboard. We had booked for 2 nights due to having dogs, but we ended up finding the dogs a Kennel and going to a much much better place for only $20 more in the city. Rooms were noisy as it is close to a fairly busy road as well as often in a flight path.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have never stayed in a hotel or b&b before where the sheets were not clean, and the whole place was grubby and smelly. Off street parking is advertised, but there is very little of it and is always full. Even the rooms that are not facing the street are noisy. There is no air conditioning and when you open the window the cockroaches and mosquitoes come in. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
sydney
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This place is not fit for humans. The asian women who run it are as cold and dumpy as the place itself. Their customer service is to tell me to clean my own room, move my car to on street parking and were very unpleasant when I asked for aircon to be turned on. Upon walking into the unit, I was hit with a thunderbolt of odours. One I recognised as mould and second, dust. There is no visible evidence of it, however, I suspected after scratching myself from dusk to dawn - it was the mattressess. An ipod has a bigger screen than the tv in the room. The linen has never met fab much less seen the inside of a washing machine. To suggest this place to anyone, would be embarrassing. I would not let my dog stay there. The stench from the rubbish bins (under the aircon) is another beauty. Make sure to take your whole house if you are lucky enough to experience such a gem in the heart of burwood.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I needed a budget room in Sydney with a refrigerator, so that ruled out pub-style rooms. Then I saw this B&B with a room for a very reasonable price (and note that Sydney is way up there on the list of most expensive world cities in 2013).
The majority of previous reviews of this property on this website aren't positive. This lead me to believe this B&B would be "rough" and "dirty", and the staff unhelpful, and so I went in with low expectations.
But I was very pleasantly surprised at my experience. The staff were in fact very friendly and helpful to me. The building was not "run down" - I would describe it as having a charming, rustic ambience. (It is billed as a B&B after all, not as a branch of a slick hotel chain.) It was also very tidy and orderly. Everything worked (showers, toilets, TV, window blinds etc). My room and the bedding was spotless with no odors, and my towel was new; furniture wasn't new, but it was perfectly functional. The B&B was also conveniently close to the train station (which is just two stops from the city center on express trains), and to Burwood's many types of eateries. Yet the neighborhood was quiet, and I slept very peacefully.
Oh yeah, there WERE some leaves on the walkway out front - under the leafy canopy of eucalyptus trees in the garden. If a few wind-scattered leaves on the ground outside are a deal-breaker for you, then you'd better save up your pennies and stay at one of those corporate hotels with plastic shrubbery.
If room price stays the same, I'll most likely be back next time I'm visiting Sydney.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank G H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burwood
Shilla Lodge Hotel
#2 of 4 in Strathfield
Ibis Budget Enfield
#1 of 2 in Strathfield South
Ibis Budget Sydney Olympic Park ...
#4 of 4 in Sydney Olympic Park
Central Business District
Central Station Hotel
Central Station Hotel
#80 of 175 in Sydney
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,267 reviews

Been to Burwood Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!