“Not Up to Scratch!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Burwood B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Not Up to Scratch!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We ended up having to choose alternative accommodation as this place was definitely NOT what was offered. The 'better' room was small; the linen was more suited to a single bed rather than a double; the electric blanket didn't work; if you wanted air-conditioning it was $10 extra and to top it off the light in the bathroom didn't work and they couldn't fix it. When we asked for our money back, I actually had to pay for the soap as I had unwrapped it. At least they gave us our money back!

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This place is terrible. The sheets and bedding were dirty, there were holes in the floor. There was no air con or fans, and no fly screens on the windows, so the room fills with Bugs quickly. There was a sliding door, however the screen door did not close and was full of holes anyway. Our room had a large cockroach nest in the cupboard. We had booked for 2 nights due to having dogs, but we ended up finding the dogs a Kennel and going to a much much better place for only $20 more in the city. Rooms were noisy as it is close to a fairly busy road as well as often in a flight path.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Burwood hotels

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have never stayed in a hotel or b&b before where the sheets were not clean, and the whole place was grubby and smelly. Off street parking is advertised, but there is very little of it and is always full. Even the rooms that are not facing the street are noisy. There is no air conditioning and when you open the window the cockroaches and mosquitoes come in. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
sydney
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This place is not fit for humans. The asian women who run it are as cold and dumpy as the place itself. Their customer service is to tell me to clean my own room, move my car to on street parking and were very unpleasant when I asked for aircon to be turned on. Upon walking into the unit, I was hit with a thunderbolt of odours. One I recognised as mould and second, dust. There is no visible evidence of it, however, I suspected after scratching myself from dusk to dawn - it was the mattressess. An ipod has a bigger screen than the tv in the room. The linen has never met fab much less seen the inside of a washing machine. To suggest this place to anyone, would be embarrassing. I would not let my dog stay there. The stench from the rubbish bins (under the aircon) is another beauty. Make sure to take your whole house if you are lucky enough to experience such a gem in the heart of burwood.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I needed a budget room in Sydney with a refrigerator, so that ruled out pub-style rooms. Then I saw this B&B with a room for a very reasonable price (and note that Sydney is way up there on the list of most expensive world cities in 2013).
The majority of previous reviews of this property on this website aren't positive. This lead me to believe this B&B would be "rough" and "dirty", and the staff unhelpful, and so I went in with low expectations.
But I was very pleasantly surprised at my experience. The staff were in fact very friendly and helpful to me. The building was not "run down" - I would describe it as having a charming, rustic ambience. (It is billed as a B&B after all, not as a branch of a slick hotel chain.) It was also very tidy and orderly. Everything worked (showers, toilets, TV, window blinds etc). My room and the bedding was spotless with no odors, and my towel was new; furniture wasn't new, but it was perfectly functional. The B&B was also conveniently close to the train station (which is just two stops from the city center on express trains), and to Burwood's many types of eateries. Yet the neighborhood was quiet, and I slept very peacefully.
Oh yeah, there WERE some leaves on the walkway out front - under the leafy canopy of eucalyptus trees in the garden. If a few wind-scattered leaves on the ground outside are a deal-breaker for you, then you'd better save up your pennies and stay at one of those corporate hotels with plastic shrubbery.
If room price stays the same, I'll most likely be back next time I'm visiting Sydney.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank G H
Penrose, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I find this a most difficult review to write. I will review it as a "Dog Hotel", as that was the only reason we selected the property. We spent 3 nights there. The previous reviews certainly worried us. We expected the worse but it was surprisingly better. We would definitely not stay there if travelling without a pet, a situation we could not avoid this time.

The room was small but had private facilities (caravan type module) and a direct outside door to take the dog outside when required. Tiled floor makes for easy cleaning if required. Towels were certainly better than a previous reviewer experienced! Room was fairly clean except for the odd cobweb or 3!

Hosts were attentive and helpful. Cooked breakfast is included but we just helped ourselves to a continental breakfast.

Just a 2 minute stroll up the road is Burwood RSL with a great bistro! They even do take aways if you require.

Grounds were very untidy and overgrown but a gardener arrived on our last day and things were tidied up pretty well. Noise is not too bad but the inability to fully close the old venetian blinds did not help sleep. Bedding was Ok and the pillows very good.

We tended to eat outside in the "garden areas" which were a bit ordinary but the space was good. TV had both local channels and a selection of Foxtel, including Fox Sports which I appreciated.

So, if staying with a pet, there are not many options around, so beggars cannot be choosers!

Room Tip: Take a 2 minute stroll up the street to Burwood RSL. Very good bistro and good value drinks as well.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Whakatipu2530
melb
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I booked to stay one night. Apon arrival I noticed the place was untidy and falling apart on the oustside. It looked like it needs alot of maintenance. Once Inside the female Asian staff were both very rood and made me feel really uncomfortable after I paid. I got the feeling that Burwood Bed and Breakfast could be a real dogy place so my gut feeling was to leave so I left without staying.

Room Tip: There are several areas to stay. Be careful I would view room before paying and leave enough time to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burwood
Shilla Lodge Hotel
#2 of 4 in Strathfield
Ibis Budget Enfield
#1 of 2 in Strathfield South
Ibis Budget Sydney Olympic Park ...
#4 of 4 in Sydney Olympic Park
Central Business District
Central Station Hotel
Central Station Hotel
#82 of 175 in Sydney
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,258 reviews

Been to Burwood Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!