“Dirtiest place I have ever stayed at.”

Burwood Bed & Breakfast
Burwood Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Burwood B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have never stayed in a hotel or b&b before where the sheets were not clean, and the whole place was grubby and smelly. Off street parking is advertised, but there is very little of it and is always full. Even the rooms that are not facing the street are noisy. There is no air conditioning and when you open the window the cockroaches and mosquitoes come in. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This place is not fit for humans. The asian women who run it are as cold and dumpy as the place itself. Their customer service is to tell me to clean my own room, move my car to on street parking and were very unpleasant when I asked for aircon to be turned on. Upon walking into the unit, I was hit with a thunderbolt of odours. One I recognised as mould and second, dust. There is no visible evidence of it, however, I suspected after scratching myself from dusk to dawn - it was the mattressess. An ipod has a bigger screen than the tv in the room. The linen has never met fab much less seen the inside of a washing machine. To suggest this place to anyone, would be embarrassing. I would not let my dog stay there. The stench from the rubbish bins (under the aircon) is another beauty. Make sure to take your whole house if you are lucky enough to experience such a gem in the heart of burwood.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I needed a budget room in Sydney with a refrigerator, so that ruled out pub-style rooms. Then I saw this B&B with a room for a very reasonable price (and note that Sydney is way up there on the list of most expensive world cities in 2013).
The majority of previous reviews of this property on this website aren't positive. This lead me to believe this B&B would be "rough" and "dirty", and the staff unhelpful, and so I went in with low expectations.
But I was very pleasantly surprised at my experience. The staff were in fact very friendly and helpful to me. The building was not "run down" - I would describe it as having a charming, rustic ambience. (It is billed as a B&B after all, not as a branch of a slick hotel chain.) It was also very tidy and orderly. Everything worked (showers, toilets, TV, window blinds etc). My room and the bedding was spotless with no odors, and my towel was new; furniture wasn't new, but it was perfectly functional. The B&B was also conveniently close to the train station (which is just two stops from the city center on express trains), and to Burwood's many types of eateries. Yet the neighborhood was quiet, and I slept very peacefully.
Oh yeah, there WERE some leaves on the walkway out front - under the leafy canopy of eucalyptus trees in the garden. If a few wind-scattered leaves on the ground outside are a deal-breaker for you, then you'd better save up your pennies and stay at one of those corporate hotels with plastic shrubbery.
If room price stays the same, I'll most likely be back next time I'm visiting Sydney.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank G H
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I find this a most difficult review to write. I will review it as a "Dog Hotel", as that was the only reason we selected the property. We spent 3 nights there. The previous reviews certainly worried us. We expected the worse but it was surprisingly better. We would definitely not stay there if travelling without a pet, a situation we could not avoid this time.

The room was small but had private facilities (caravan type module) and a direct outside door to take the dog outside when required. Tiled floor makes for easy cleaning if required. Towels were certainly better than a previous reviewer experienced! Room was fairly clean except for the odd cobweb or 3!

Hosts were attentive and helpful. Cooked breakfast is included but we just helped ourselves to a continental breakfast.

Just a 2 minute stroll up the road is Burwood RSL with a great bistro! They even do take aways if you require.

Grounds were very untidy and overgrown but a gardener arrived on our last day and things were tidied up pretty well. Noise is not too bad but the inability to fully close the old venetian blinds did not help sleep. Bedding was Ok and the pillows very good.

We tended to eat outside in the "garden areas" which were a bit ordinary but the space was good. TV had both local channels and a selection of Foxtel, including Fox Sports which I appreciated.

So, if staying with a pet, there are not many options around, so beggars cannot be choosers!

Room Tip: Take a 2 minute stroll up the street to Burwood RSL. Very good bistro and good value drinks as well.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Whakatipu2530
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I booked to stay one night. Apon arrival I noticed the place was untidy and falling apart on the oustside. It looked like it needs alot of maintenance. Once Inside the female Asian staff were both very rood and made me feel really uncomfortable after I paid. I got the feeling that Burwood Bed and Breakfast could be a real dogy place so my gut feeling was to leave so I left without staying.

Room Tip: There are several areas to stay. Be careful I would view room before paying and leave enough time to...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Needs maintenance for a property of this age. The outside is dirty and Falling apart. On the inside it is run by crazy asian ladies. This may be in an area where you really might not want to stay. Say no more.

Room Tip: The rooms you see are not the rooms you get.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I made a booking for 2 rooms, I was meeting my daughter and family. They were involved in a car accident so we were not able to meet in Sydney as they were in hospital. I rang and cancelled I thouhgt the whole booking, the day of the accident and gave them 4 days notice. I was charged for both rooms and when I rang they told me I had only cancelled 1 room. She would only credit me with the cheaper room and then hung up.
I should have read the reviews before i booked, will in future. Terrible service considering the circumstances.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burwood
Comfort Inn & Suites Burwood
Strathfield Hotel
Strathfield Hotel
#3 of 3 in Strathfield
Boronia Lodge Burwood
Boronia Lodge Burwood
#1 of 3 in Burwood

Been to Burwood Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!