“OK - Not bad, not great.”

The Novotel Vines Resort Swan Valley
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in The Vines
perth
“OK - Not bad, not great.”
Reviewed February 15, 2010

We stayed here on a Saturday evening over valentines weekend.
The room itself was OK I thought. The only gripe I really had was that the air conditioner occasionally made a loud noise which was annoying as it woke us during the evening. I found the beds to be comfortable. Some of the lights in the room didn't work either.

We had breakfast included in our package. I really wasn't particularly impressed with it.
The bacon didn't look appealing to me and they ran out of pastries for a while. Over all, again, it was OK, but nothing special...

I'm not sure if there's that much choice in the valley - just dont expect too much. ;-)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Indonesian first
Perth WA
Reviewed January 23, 2010

A friend and I managed a last minute booking for New Year's Eve. We were a bit worried about all the negative reviews but, in fact, had a really nice time. Our room was spotless, well maintained and the beds were really comfortable with good quality bedding and a decent pillow. The thick fluffy bath robes were lovely.

Considerable effort went into making the New Years Eve party a success. We opted for the BBQ which was well cooked and plentiful. There was a band and fireworks which added to a party atmosphere. It was very definitely a family night so there was none of the usual NYE alcohol fuelled aggression that often spoils the party (with the exception of the moron in the beanie!!!).

The resort isn't new and it shows in areas, the pool lounges were in need of repairs and there's just not enough of them, pool towels were hard to come by and some staff lacked training. It could be much better, apparently the owners keep the purse strings firmly closed (so I was told by a regular visitor) which is a shame because it's a lovely setting so close to the city, which gives the feeling of getting away without all the hassle of travelling too far.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Australia
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Our stay was 2 nights at the resort apartment. We checked in at 9pm and found a live cockroach on our bed. After trying unsuccessfully to contact reception on the phone (nobody answered the phone), we had to load our bags back in the car, drove about 2km to reception to report our discovery. We were told that it was probably a bush cockroach and there’s nothing to fear (thank you for reminding me what a wimp I am, Novatel!). We finally got a different apartment after we insisted that while the management’s kind offer to spray the room so that we can fall asleep enjoying wonderful insecticide fume may sound tempting to others, it was not our idea of a good start to our weekend getaway. Our next apartment had a few dead insects on the carpet but lucky for me, no live cockroaches. We were too tired to request for another change. The building were old looking and the staffs looked tired and bored. There was nothing special about the facilities. Not what I'd expect for an establishment that boasted a 4 star rating. Didn’t dare to try out the hotel’s restaurant after that encounter with our 6-legged friend, which worked out great for us as we discover a few nice places to get a meal in the Swan valley.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these The Vines hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I was really looking forward to a weekend away and as I was going to a concert nearby to the resort, it seemed an excellent choice as my husband and I had a very enjoyable stay here several years ago.

Sadly the resort has not been maintained very well and there is evidence of this in every area. Fittings and fixtures in our rooms were either difficult to use or were broken. They advertise Foxtel, which is fine if you like lots of sport, but I couldn't even get any of the local digital channels and only 1 or 2 of the cable channels weren't sport. The hot water supply to the shower was excellemt in my room but in my friends room it came out at a trickle and the shower head was partially blocked. The chairs on my balcony were both broken and when I sat on one the underside, it gave way from the chair leg....and the list goes on.

Unfortunately the maintenance wasn't the only thing lacking, the reception staff with the exception of one particularly helpful employee were just plain rude and discourteous, every question or request was met with hostility. This can be very frustrating, I can't imagine how overseas visitors would feel when english isn't the first language.

The facilities that used to be a pleasure to use are no longer functioning like the pool bar and even pool towels (which you can get if you want to walk all the way to reception, to get an extra bath towel with strict instructions to return it there when you have finished), this type of thing occurred throughout.

On a good note, the breakfasts are excellent, lots of choice and of a good quality. Although they only had margarine on the buffet, I asked for butter and was told they didn't have any. Next morning however there was no sign of the margarine and a generous tub of butter in it;s place...go figure! The food in general was very good, I had room service one night and was very impressed with the array presented. The tray outside the door stayed there for a full 24hrs and some night creatures had picked it over but that didn't affect me. Also the cocktail bar closes early even when it was still full we were all told to go to the sports bar (general cafe/bar for golfers etc) as they were closing. So we were all kicked out.

The superior rooms are well laid out, spacious and very comfortable with a nice balcony and a good bathroom, if they were well maintanied they would be delightful as they overlook the relaxing gardens.

I also had an in room facial and massage which can be booked at a desk near reception and this was an excellent service, she was very good. She told me that some time in 2010 they will have a salon on site.

If you want to stay at the weekend, beware as this venue has become popular for weddings and they certainly pack them in making every which way you turn, bridal parties, guests, photographers and congested walkways, making getting from A to B a bit difficult at times, I was almost tempted to blend in with a crowd and get some free canapes and champagne, but the bathers and sarong would have been a dead giveaway.

If you are planning on staying with kids, it has a nice pool area and a small play area but no other facilities and as it is on the edge of a golf course (which is world class by the way) there aren't really any walking areas, but a beautiful vista of the course none the less.

I didn't play golf this time but the course looked great. In general if you want a golf weekend or you want to be close to the Swan Valley and the wineries it's okay, but if you want something special, you may be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank LesleyU
Perth
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Don't bother going, spend your money elsewhere. We booked a golf/spa/hotel package for a weekend away. The hotel generally appears a bit grimy, not dirty or neglected, just not as clean as i would have expected. The kids pool was green and totally unfit for use and it is just outide the reception area where everybody can notice it. Dinner was a absolute nightmare. After being shown to our table we waited 20min before calling a waiter to get our drinks order. The waiter's excuse for the poor service was "we are short of staff". We were then informed that they were out of stock of the Merlot available per glass, and no they could not affer us an alternative. After a further 10min wait we decided we had enough and left the restaurant and ended up getting Hungry Jacks takeways for dinner. The poor service appeared to be a general trend as the majority of peaple around us in the restauranrt didn't have drinks or food in front of them and appeared annoyed. Golf was great though and the course is highly recommended, just stay away from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Perth
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Having read the previous reviews we were a bit nervous about staying, however from the moment we checked in we were impressed. The room an Executive suite was fabulous loved the robes and slippers. My husband particulay liked the plunger coffee such a treat, The view from our room was breathtaking looking over the golf course at the kangaroos just made ou stay all the more special as for the spa it has to be seen to be believed its huge!!.

Dinner was a buffet we were very impressed the dishs were appealing and looked as though they had just been put out the chicken vindaloo and rice was my particular favourite. From the moment we arrived the staff were great Sarah and Patricia in particluar but the vibe and atmosphere created by the staff and music was great.

After a great nights sleep ( the beds were fantasitc) we went for a the Buffet breakfast. My pet hate is hard poached eggs and uncooked bacon, but the Vines Breakfast was fab crispy bacon and perfect poached eggs plus a great range of cereals, fruit and the list goes on.
Can't wait to go back for our next visit.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fabstay
w.a
Reviewed October 28, 2009

We stayed for two nights in the self contained units which were great, parking straight out the front of your unit. It has everything that you need and they also supply some lovely hand lotions, soaps etc. It has two bathrooms, and a washing machine and dryer which is great when you have a family with young children.
Some staff were very helpful others weren't. Check your credit cards when you leave as we were overcharged, it was quickly rectified when I rang though.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Pan Pacific Perth
#12 of 65 in Perth
Swan Valley Oasis Resort
#1 of 2 in Henley Brook

Been to The Novotel Vines Resort Swan Valley? Share your experiences!