“In need of TLC” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in The Vines
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“In need of TLC”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed in the apartments and staff are really friendly and helpful, however the apartments need an urgent refurb. Carpets are very stained both upstairs, on the stairways and downstairs. Fly screens are either torn or missing altogether, some lights don't work, walls are marked and scuffed, bed spreads are stained, chairs are stained, windows are very dirty and the whole apartment smelled musty. Wouldn't take much to bring them up to scratch, especially charging $360 a night. It may have been our section of apartments (ours was #55) as our friends stayed in a different block and their's was fine. (Apartment #1022).

Room Tip: Our friends stayed in the apartment block on the 10th hole which were good. Ours which wasn't go...
Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ray W
Charity C, Guest Relations Manager at The Novotel Vines Resort Swan Valley, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Vines Resort Swan Valley. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the concerns you raised so as to prevent future occurrence and ensure we offer you a better service in the future.

We are currently in the process of refurbishing the resort. We appreciate your sharing your review, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Charity Chola

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Indonesian first
Margaret River, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

After reading some of the reviews here, I was prepared for the worst! However, the stay at this resort turned out to be so pleasant and even more beautiful than the official photos might suggest that we not only extended our first stay in December 2013, but I even came back for one more night this February during a short business trip to Perth. My husband and I have travelled to many places in Australia and have stayed in a lot of different hotels with much better reviews, but this is definitely one of the few I can whole heartedly recommend of all the hotels we have stayed at so far in or close to a big city in this gorgeous country.

The main reason why I booked a room in this hotel despite the reviews, is its quiet setting in the lovely Swan Valley and the fact that both the airport as well as the city can be reached easily by car, which can be parked for free on the huge and safe parking lot at the entrance of the resort. After arriving late at night respectively early in the morning after a long distance flight from Europe, you just want to sleep in a truly quiet room with a really comfortable, big bed and to relax from the tiring journey. That's exactly what we found at the The Vines! The rooms are very spacious, clean and nicely furnished even though they are a little bit outdated. On the first floor they have a balcony with lovely views on the vineyard, the pool area or the golf course The whole resort is very well maintained and the food and wines at the Vines Café are absolutely delicious and tasty. The surroundings are superb and there is a lot you can do. For golfers it must be a paradise! Unfortunately, I gave up golfing a long time ago, otherwise I would certainly have taken the opportunity to play.

The only thing I didn't quite appreciate are the early breakfast and checkout hours. As I mentioned, we arrived in the middle of the night and were quite exhausted of the long trip. We just made it 5 or 10 minutes before the breakfast buffet closed. There we met the only not very helpful and friendly staff member of this hotel. He was obviously annoyed that we still wished to eat breakfast. Fortunately, there was a couple arriving even after us, so we were all "allowed" to have a quick breakfast after all. To offer breakfast half an hour longer would certainly be very nice or at least to instruct the service personnel to treat guests arriving just in time for breakfast as friendly as all the others before. More flexible checkout hours would also be a positive improvement. On the departure day of my last stay in February, housekeeping popped in at least three times between 9 and 11 am to check if the room was already empty. I understand that the hotel was fully booked that day. However, checkout at 11 instead of 10 would make a big difference!

All in all, I can only recommend this place and will certainly be back soon!

Room Tip: First floor with balcony,
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Charity C, Guest Relations Manager at The Novotel Vines Resort Swan Valley, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Swan Valley Vines Resort. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

It is with great delight that I read you enjoyed the comfortable big bed, the lovely views and delicious food at the Vines Café.

Please rest assured that I have taken note of your concerns and measures are in place to address them to ensure we offer you a better service in the future. We are also currently in the process of refurbishing the resort.

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Had our son's wedding there.!!! Mixed up room booking then wanted to charge for the extra room!!?
A dispute about missing floral props was blamed on the bride and groom. The vines left the pot plants out over night and blamed the bride and groom when they went missing. Totally shocking. Don't trust them for your wedding. We are still waiting for them to rectify this accusation. No body rings back.

Rooms not clean or fresh. spider and leaves in bath. Apartment very musty smelling. Lounge had pulls and stains on it. Very outdated and tired decor. Not pleasant, overcharged. I would say what you would expect from a 3 star only.

Room Tip: There are none to my knowledge. Our son's room the night before his wedding day was appalling. S...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Carol F
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Swan Valley Vines Resort. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the concerns you raised, so as to prevent future occurrence, and ensure we offer the best service to all guests.

Travelers are raving about these The Vines hotels

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Booked 2 nights here - this place is relatively ok if you want to explore Swan Valley - its towards the end of swan valley from the City's direction.

Room was ok given australian's style which is rather traditional design than modern. The room I had was for 2 pax but it was a 2 x double bed which was great. The surrounding was fantastic. The pool looked great even though I didn't have time to swim.

The breakfast was disappointing in my opinion having to pay $25AUD as the discounted rate. There were minimal hot breakfast and I feel it did not warrant the price. But when you are out there so far away from the city, I guess you don't have much choices. If I were to return, I will skip their breakfast and travel out to some of the restaurants at Swan Valley - you probably pay the same but with more choices.

Although I booked with my Le Accor account online, during my stay, I asked twice regarding the Internet and was told it was chargeable. When I finally checked out, I asked the 3rd time and the counter staff flipped a file and check and confirmed Internet should have been free. But it was too late. I was using my mobile data which was very slow as signal was poor in my room. Not a big issue but it seems that most of the staff I encountered were not familiar with Le Accor membership. I understand this hotel is a franchisee of Novotel.

The welcome drink was only available during limited hours ie after 11am to 8-9pm? Probably good idea if hotel would allow guests to use the welcome drink coupon at the restaurant for a coffee or hot chocolate in the morning - that would have been great. Also, only 1 drink was given even though there were 2 occupants for this booking.

Room Tip: Prefer rooms on the 2nd floor so that I can open the door at the balcony. For rooms on the ground f...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Charity C, Guest Relations Manager at The Novotel Vines Resort Swan Valley, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review The Novotel Vines Resort Swan Valley and sharing your experience about your recent stay.

I am glad that overall you had a great retreat and liked the bedding configuration in our rooms. At The Novotel Vines Resort we always endeavour to deliver the best service to all our guests.

Please rest assured I have taken note of your concerns and measures to address the matters are in place to ensure we offer you a better service in the future. We are currently in the process of refurbishing the resort.

My sincere apologies for any inconvenience experienced during your stay. We hope you will give us an opportunity to win your confidence back in the future.

Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed in one of the condos for two days with friends. However friends were happy with main hotel accommodation. As you will see from other reviews the condos are really tired and in need of updating. That said the kitchens are really well equipped, even provide small sachets of detergent and the air con works a treat. Only had food at the cafe bar which was really poor, though the staff were great. Husband enjoyed his round of golf and the kids marvelled at the kangaroos roaming about. So ok for a short stay on route to somewhere better, certainly wouldn't want to stay longer than 2 days.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Charity C, Guest Relations Manager at The Novotel Vines Resort Swan Valley, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review The Novotel Vines Resort Swan Valley and sharing your experience.

It is with great delight that I read your husband enjoyed his game of golf and the children marvelled at the wildlife at the resort.

Please rest assured that I have taken note of the concerns that you raised, and measures are in place to address to the matters and ensure we offer you a better service in the future.

Thank you once again for the feedback, we hope to welcome you back again soon to the resort so that we can demonstrate the high standard of service we always endeavour to deliver to all our guests.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had a great experience staying at the Vines Resort in January this year. We were there on a Seven Deadly Sins Gluttony package which was purchased for my partner and me as a gift. The location of the resort is far enough away from the city that you really feel like you have gone much further afield, but in reality it is only a 45 minute drive from the city, and you get to travel through the beautiful Swan Valley to get there.

On arrival we were pleased to be told we had been upgraded to an executive suite (we should have only had a basice resort room). The room was enormous with a separate living room and huge bathroom with a large spa bath. The room was very clean and nicely firnished, with complimentary coffee pod machine and also a mini bar and two TVs. The only downside to the room was that the bath took forever to fill, the water flowed from the tap very slowly so I had to wait about half an hour before I could step in and enjoy a nice soak.

We spent the afternoon by the pool. The pool is large with an adequate amount of sunbeds and towels are provided for guests. It was Australia Day weekend so I'm not sure if this was the reason for the following but the pool was very crowded with noisy children, many of whom appeared to be unsupervised by parents. There were ducks and ducklings swimming about in the busy pool and many of these children were terrifying the little ducks by being so boisterous and trying to chase them around the pool. I'm not sure if the pool area is always so busy with kids but if this is the case the resort could benefit from a kids club to allow adults who wish to relax quietly by the pool to do so without ball games and shrieking children and teenagers disturbing the peace non stop. The clientele appeared to be mainly "cashed up bogans" which I think contributed to the negative, unrelaxing vibe. Luckily I am young enough for it not to have been too much of an issue, but I think anyone older could have found it to be too big of an annoyance. The hotel looks a little tired and could do with a major refurbishment, it could do with modernising in my opinion.

We had dinner in the Muscats restaurant as part of our package. The semi a la carte set up is a great idea. The starter consisted of a buffet - mainly seafood - which enabled us to eat as much crab, prawns, oysters and fish as we liked. Fantastic as I enjoy seafood, not much else to choose from if you don't. The mains were ok, nice and tasty but nothing special, and the dessert was once again a buffet, which consisted of several delicious cakes cut into generous slabs. The following morning we enjoyed breakfast in the same restaurant which was also a buffet, and I have to say it was one of the best breakfast buffets I have had. There was a very extensive choice of hot food and bread/pastries as well as fruit and cereal, which left us feeling very full and satisfied.

There didn't seem to be much communication between the different areas of the hotel with regards to our voucher package, as we had to remind people several times that we were on a package therefore everything had already been pre-paid. I had to mention this twice at dinner as well as when we checked out despite having already handed over the voucher when we arrived. There needs to be a better system in place to avoid having to mention the voucher at every turn.

Overall a pleasant stay. We left the hotel feeling relaxed and refreshed. The room upgrade and the food were the main highlights for me.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ellie_in_Perth
Charity C, Guest Relations Manager at The Novotel Vines Resort Swan Valley, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Swan Valley Vines Resort. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback.

It is with great delight that I read you had a pleasant stay which was relaxing and refreshing. I am glad you enjoyed the location of the resort, the room upgrade and the food.

Please rest assured that I have taken note of your concerns and measures are in place to address the matters, to ensure we offer you a better service in the future.

Regarding the busy pool area, on Australia Day we had a pool party and we always have a duty manager onsite who does regular checks and monitors the pool.

We are also currently in the process of refurbishing the resort. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Kind Regards,

Mandurah, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Let me first say the Cafe bar food was horrible. We ate here for lunch, on the menu the food sounded fantastic, but when it came out it was so bland and I just could not eat it. We decided to eat in so we ordered room service for tea. We ordered the steak sandwich and boy was it disappointing. The steak was stewed and instead of a sandwich it came out on a bun. We ordered it at 5.40 to be delivered at 7.00pm, by 7.20 it still had not arrived so I called to find where our order was? The lady was quiet rude and said she would have to investigate why it had not arrived as she did not take the order. I did ask to be called back as she couldn't give me an answer on the time of arrival, by this time we were so hungry, only to be disappointed by stewd steak yuck!!! On the positive, reception was fantastic and the accomodation and pool area was amazing. The main restaurant is not open on a Sunday this is why we had to eat in the cafe bar. Would I eat here again, I think my food is so much better, not unless they drastically improved their Standards. Left very disappointed

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda R
Dear Guest,

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the concerns you raised to ensure we offer you a better service in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near The Vines
Crown Promenade Perth
#3 of 3 in Burswood
Swan Valley Oasis Resort
#1 of 2 in Henley Brook

Been to The Novotel Vines Resort Swan Valley? Share your experiences!