“Basic”

Hotel Breidafjordur
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Stykkisholmur
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I wasn't overwhelmed by the Hótel Breiđafjőrđur, mainly because there were no blinds on the windows and the furniture was cheap, but the woman running the place was nice. She even made some pancakes and homemade jam for the breakfast buffet, a nice addition to the standard fare.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ColoradoCarol2

Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is the most basic of hotels. The rooms are spotless but generic and there is little in the way of lobby or dining area. In truth, this describes the bulk of accommodations when one travels the Ring Road. The problem with this property is that management needs to pay a bit more attention to the details. For one, the shades do not block the evening sun, as they do in most hotels. Also, there was no soap provided in the bathrooms. These are basics that any hotel shouldn't miss.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HouTraveler
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night, after arriving from the ferry from Brjánslaekur. We had a sunny corner room, with very light curtains (which was less convenient when trying to sleep as it stayed light all night), a little desk and small bathroom. Breakfast was quite limited, including the cafeteria room where it was served; very small tables and we had too literarly squeeze ourselves between the chair and table.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nyah82
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I booked this hotel online in advance and my contact person was very pleasant, so I had high hopes...But pulling into the parking spaces immediately in front of the hotel, I was hoping that the boring, white, square structure secretly housed something cozy and comfortable...But sadly I was wrong.

Even though it was around 5PM, there was no one working at the reception desk, only a sign that stated "Please use the phone to call us", but the phone accompanying the sign didn't work! Although I was uncomfortable doing it, I had to go behind the counter to look for another and luckily found one to call the staff, who arrived shortly after from somewhere else. (Not the person I'd shared emails with to reserve the room) Not a very good start.

The building itself has no character and feels more like a college dormitory than a hotel. All the walls were whitewashed with dull, dark carpet that looked like it was from the 70's and there was no restaurant in the hotel. (There was a "cafeteria" room for breakfast).

The room was just as dull as the rest of the hotel: White walls with beige drapes on light brown, wood laminate floors. White blankets on the bed and furniture that was also dull and featureless. Lots of windows which was nice, but no blackout curtains, so we had to wear sleep masks due to the 24 hour daylight in the spring. Not cool. The bathroom was small and basic with drab lighting and finish. At least the room and WC were clean...

No TV, radio or clock in the room, but there was a TV in a common sitting area on the 2nd floor that had a coiled up firehose directly beside it on the wall and another small, narrow sitting area in a "sunroom" nearby too. There is a view of nothing but surrounding buildings in the sunroom, by the way. It seems like they just didn't put much thought into aesthetics at this hotel.

The ultimate "ouch" was paying 120EU for my night at this basic, yawn of a hotel! I thought I did my homework and had found a good choice in Stykkisholmur, but clearly I was wrong! For this kind of money, there has got to be something better in town.

Very disappointing.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed in room 202 for 1 night. It was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was included and very good. I was initially concerned because we were on the entry level right near the door but it was not a problem. Hotel has rooms in 100's on basement level and I heard other customers complaining about their room. Hotel also has rooms on 3rd level. Nice sitting areas and sunroom on 3rd floor. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tustina
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I stayed in this small guesthouse/hotel type for 1 night during my travels around the ring route. It was clean, neat and quite adequate. It is an old building without a lift. So is not wheelchair friendly for those who need those facilities. I do not think that there is too much more available in this town either, so people who require that may need to rethink staying here.

Breakfast was lovely and the family who run this hotel, replenish the table well. There is no dinner available, but there are some lovely eating houses around the place to choose from. My guide knew where to go and we did.

The rooms are fine, they are fairly big ,clean, and neat, but black out of the windows not so great. The views are nice. I went walking around for awhile by myself, and it was lovely.

The harbour is close by, and the fishing fleet and ferries are there as well. There is a lovely walk up the mountain apparently. I did not do this, I was told it is very steep, so I would not go. The town of Stykkisholmur is beautiful, it is old, and quaint. The houses are so pretty, and the people warm and friendly.

There is a boat that may be taken and I did take that in 2010 when I was here, out into Breidafjorder. It sails around the islands, looking for brids etc. It is a lovely trip, but it is easier to see puffins in other areas. So if it the puffins you are taking this ferry for then do not, and go to the Westfjords instead to the bird cliffs there. More better and easier to see the puffins.

This time however, I did not do that trip, but we went driving around the area. The roads can be a but rough but the scenery so beautiful.

Later in the afternoon we took the afternoon ferry "Baldur" across to the Westfjords. Looking forward to this.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Aussiegrannie
Reviewed August 1, 2011

This is a guesthouse hotel with a friendly owner and staff but no restaurant. The rooms, all with bathroom, are simple but good (no TV). The breakfast was ample, the usual Icelandic buffet. Stykkishólmur is a small town and everything is an easy walk from the hotel; especially attractive is the harbor area with old buildings (there is a brochure available at the hotel showing all interesting buildings). The new church is also worth investigating. Most people come here to get the ferry across Breiðafjörður and a good way of spending the morning before the afternoon ferry is the two hour trip around the islands (Seatours, office at the harbor where you also buy ferry tickets). On this trip, we saw lots of puffins and two white-tailed eagles, among others. There are two good restaurants in the town. We ate at Fimm Fiskar, right next to the hotel (Excellent seafood and good value). Narfeyrarstofa was also recommended by the hotel. It is just down the street opposite Fimm Fiskar.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SouthCarolinaRichard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stykkisholmur
Fosshotel Stykkisholmur
#1 of 7 in Snaefellsbaer
Harbour Hostel
Harbour Hostel
#1 of 7 in Stykkisholmur

Been to Hotel Breidafjordur? Share your experiences!