Ways to Experience Black Sand Beach
from $142.30
from $202.50
from $435.00
2,598 results
All reviews black sand rock formations be careful sneaker waves giants causeway sea stacks game of thrones amazing place waves crashing huge waves the cliff worth a stop ring road south coast car park parking lot caves
Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

We drove down from Keflavík which took around 3 hours stopping at a few waterfalls and volcanoes on the route... the black sands beach was beautiful, something very rare and worth a visit! The care beside the beach is also good value for food! Worth a visit!!

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

It was absolutely tipping it down, freezing cold and the wind was very strong BUT this beach was just special and beautiful. It makes you feel incredibly mindful about where you are and the incredible landscape that surrounds you.

Reviewed 2 days ago

People everywhere climbing over everything so pictures are impossible unless you're there at sunrise. Cool to see but not worth spending more than a few minutes there.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

We have seen black sand beaches before but not like this! Rugged, rough and spectacular! Definitely worth a stop on your travels. Can easily spend an hour walking the beach, taking pictures and enjoying the scenery.

Reviewed 3 days ago

This beach has some of the most amazingly bizarre natural scenery I have ever seen. The basalt columns are strangely beautiful and made for a perfect photo opportunity. The sand itself was so unique and I couldn’t help but scoop some up and take it home with me. I loved the dramatic colours, the otherworldly features, and plummeting cliffs above you. I’m not really a beach fanatic, but this is by far my favourite beach ever!

My tips:
- Take my advice, arrive sooner rather than later to beat the crowds. If you do arrive at peak time, take your time and be polite with other people try to pose for photos.
- Please please please follow the signs - do NOT get too close to the water, it is extremely dangerous and known to sneak up on people and drag them away.
- Wander a little way up and down the beach and take photos from every angle, it’s all beautiful and some of the most stunning pictures we took are from an unsuspecting angle.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

Incredible unique scenery in this beautiful part of Iceland. Took a few hours to drive down from where we stayed near the airport. Driving is never a chore and you see so much of this great country by doing so. I would highly recommend anyone visiting Iceland to hire a car and to visit this particular area. Please note photo is from a couple of miles out from the Black Beaches.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

This place I have been in rain and dry.., we went first it was raining so decided on way back to stop for sunset.., the black basalt columns are much blacker and glimmer in the rain/wet conditions.., were dull grey in sunshine... so if you want a place to go when raining it is the spot...note- I am a rock formation fan! Photo is from beach our dry visit.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

Beautiful black sand beach located about 3-3.5 hours from Reykjavík. It is midnight black sand with tiny pebbles and is an incredible sight to see. If you have time, book this tour as you will see both black sand beaches in Vik and draeholey as well as a glacier, two waterfalls one of which you get to walk behind and stunning dramatic landscapes along the way. We took some black sand home with us in an empty juice bottle (no signs said this was prohibited, the tour guide did not say we could not take any and the airport never saw or questioned us about it). My friends and relatives are amazed by it!

Reviewed 6 days ago

One of those places to go see for the different rock formations all in the same place. Scenic views are great, but would recommend not going during high winds. We went twice - first in winds 35-50mph (stupid tourists) and then in winds under 20mph. Huge difference though the first visit was fun just because. Had to go back to take pictures and really enjoy the visit however...

Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

So cool to see the black sand and rock columns formed by the eruptions of volcano Katla! Amazing cave formations and big waves! Don't go swimming. Water is freezing