“A great choice in a very remote area.”
Review of Eystri-Solheimar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vik
Eystri-Solheimar
Ranked #8 of 11 Specialty Lodging in Vik
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Vik has 300 people and Esytri-Solheimar is about 10 km to the West. Sigrud spends her summers running the wonderful guesthouse, which has been redone recently. Her other home is Germany and she gets many German clients, so it's nice not to run into American and Canadians. Well, at least I think so. The farm is really close to Eyjafjallajökull and the photo I'm posting shows Sigrud with a book with her farm on the cover.

With advance notice, she will cook dinner for you. Usually fish or with more notice, lamb. It's a great deal and you can settle down, enjoy some wine (you REALLY should not enjoy wine and then drive in Iceland....much less tolerant than USA) and have a great meal.

Why did I rate it 3 stars in value ?....well it's NOT against Eystri-Solheimar...it's Iceland....geez, it is really expensive. And I'm told that before the economic meltdown of 2010, it was worse.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Mathias M, Owner at Eystri-Solheimar, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you very much indeed for your review and recommendation. It's been my pleasure having you as a guest. I hope you had a nice vacation in Iceland and will enjoy the memories. Best wishes and greetings, sincerely Sigrun

Reviewed June 16, 2013

My father and I stayed at this guesthouse on our recent visit to Iceland. It was very easy for me to book online as the owner got right back with me. The guesthouse is off the road facing the ring road and the ocean. Beautiful views. It was the owner's family farm and she comes during the year to help her brother run it. We had a twin room on the first floor which had a sink in it. The shared bath was next door. It was a large bathroom with a tub. I am not sure which of the other rooms was sharing it because our room was the only bedroom on the main level. The room was very light at night so you need to bring an eye mask to block out the light. The breakfast was good and the owner made some very nice rolls.

Good
- Clean, large room
- Sink in room with hairdryer
- Free wifi
-Free breakfast
- Easy to book

Other
- Far from town
- Share bathroom but it is clean
- Not much to do around

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your positive review and the informative details to future guests. It's been nice having you and your father as guests. I hope you liked the entire vacation in Iceland and will enjoy lot of pictures and memories. Best wishes to you and regards to your father. Sigrun Thorsteinsdóttir, Eystri-Sólheimar !

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We were so happy to locate this guesthouse after a long day of driving, the host was nice. We had a nice chat with him and got to know so much about icelandic life ^^ The bed was good, the breakfast was yummy and the deal was great! I'd definitely go back if I had another trip to iceland :) some 20 mins driving to the town centre of vik, a good choice if you rent a car

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor are with made up beds while there are some sleeping-bag accomodation in the b...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2012

for the 2nd time we stayed in eystri solheimar and it was again just great. sigrun is extremely freindly and very helpful with everything, the rooms are just nice and the view from the breakfast-table is simply amazing. i hope to be able to come back to this wonderful (somehow lonely located) house near vik.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I should start this out by saying that I normally avoid guesthouses as I prefer hotels or rentals. The fact I'm still giving this a five-star review should be an indication of how nice this inn is.

The beds and bedding were by far the best we had throughout our trip in Iceland (I had a great night's sleep here), and the room and bathroom were absolutely spotless. Everything about the house is of high quality and is very well maintained.

Breakfast was delicious, and the host, Sigrun, was a joy to talk to. She gave us the history of the house and was rather patient in answering all of our questions.

This is a great place to recharge your batteries, and it'd make for a nice base for exploring the Vik / south coast area. It's also a fantastic value.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Arrived here quite late (2130) and were met with a friendly welcome by the owner outside, which was so nice after a long days drive!

This is the house she grew up in which she now runs as a guesthouse in the summer, so close to Dyrholaey (which is worth the trip for the fab views). Room is lovely, really clean with a sink which I always think is really helpful when you are sharing a bathroom! It was two single beds together and separate quilts, but this isn't a problem for us at all! There is wifi, you just need to ask for the password. Breakfast was lovely, great selection of fresh bread, fruit, cheese cereal etc, all you could need.

There is a kitchen for guests but nowhere that close to buy food so you need to bring it with you, or eat on the way, we grabbed a quick bite on the way in the gas station in Kirkjubaelarkstur which sufficed for the night!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was the first guest house of my icelandic trip, and obviously it was the best one, Sigrun was so much nice with me, my bed room was very cute, the view is amazing (we are very close to the sea, volcanos and glaciars so lot of things to see) and everything on the house was so clean. I felt like home ! Sigrun cooked very well, breakfast was so tasty, there is mini breads that Sigrun bakes every morning for her clients and home made marmelade !
For sure I will come back !

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo