All reviews shared bathroom lamb dinner communal kitchen one night vik area wonderful dinner sheep farm common areas guest house twin room home made ring road first stop after a long day guesthouse drive glacier
Reviewed October 17, 2018

I booked a room at Guesthouse Steig through Exp**a in the late Sept 2018. First of all, the location map was not correct and we drove up and down three times. Finally when we found it the road, we got to drive further in a mile along gravel road to get the reception. Room and breakfast was OK. When I checked out next morning, they requested my credit card and I gave it to them. But it turned out they already charged my room 180 Euro before checking in and they made double charge at the check out time. I found this a couple days later and I called them up for the charge back. As matter of fact, the guesthouse is operated by Hotel Dyrholaey. I requested the credit back. They asked me to send a copy of those charge. Even though I sent copied to them, they never gave me the credit back. When I got back to US, I called to my credit company for the false charge and I am still arguing it.it is really horrible!

Room tip: book a room close to Vik.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2018

Guesthouse Steig is on a sheep station about 1 km from the Ring Rd & about 16km west of Vik - easy to find. There were a number of rooms & a good setup with communal kitchen as well as a pleasant dining room.
The rooms were a reasonable size & clean. We had a private bathroom.
The food was good but like everywhere in Iceland, expensive.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2018

Our first stop on our trip, an easy drive from the airport (or a long drive if you stop at lots of interesting places!). The room was clean, the place was full but very quiet at night, and there was a great breakfast buffet in the morning. When we looked out of the window in the morning, there was a sheep! (Note to future travellers: none of the places we stayed had bathtubs, which was fine with us, but if you need/want one, ask first. Also remember that, in European style, most beds will not have top sheets.)

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2018

This was our second lodging as we went on a 9 day ring road tour. It doesn't look fantastic from the outside, but it is excellent inside. Very nice room in every way. We remember a lady at the restaurant who was very friendly and helpful, and the dinner and breakfast the next morning was great.You will not regret staying here.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2018

This was our first guest house in the country, and it actually set the standard. Although we ate in nearby Vik, the breakfast was great, and this place has hot water kettle and coffee in the room, which no other guest house had on our entire trip. We opted for "shared bathroom" but no waiting ever. Would definitely stay again. Thank you, Guest House Steig!

Room tip: room w/ bath down the hall is fine here....
Date of stay: August 2018